IGNORED

Don't Want!!

flb_78

I have climbed a 500 ft tower more than once and helped build a 100 ft tower but watching that video about made me sick. I can ride a roller coaster all day but if I watch video from one it gets me sick. The cable company I used to work for gave me a days overtime every time I had to climb one. 500 ft takes a couple of hours and some rest breaks. The first time I did it I was in my 20s. That afternoon I took a big step up and my leg collapsed.

No Way!!!! Just watching them do it gave me the creeps

It made the Boy's tingle :smilies6: (and not in a good way)

You couldn't pay me enough

Me too!! Could not watch the whole thing, once they got on them little single rungs .... OMG!! And then when they get from one section to the next and theres nothing there .... hopefully I don't have to pee for the next half hour or so while I relax, or I may have to squat!

Me too!! Could not watch the whole thing, once they got on them little single rungs .... OMG!! And then when they get from one section to the next and theres nothing there .... hopefully I don't have to pee for the next half hour or so while I relax, or I may have to squat!

You missed the best part at the end when he transitions from the tower to the antenna itself.

I F/F to the end ..... OMG.

You know, they MUST of had someone freeze at one time, unable to move and clinging on at 1000 ft. screaming out for "Mummy" .... surely SOMEONE must of thought I can do it and then find out, half way up ..... oh oh maybe not!! Odds are, right? I just KNOW I'm having high level dreams tonight.

I worked a start-up at a nitrate production plant in Nevada some 20+ years (and 75 pounds) ago. The prill tower platform was at 330' and had to be climbed three times every 12-hour shift. The first 80' was part elevator and part man-lift, then stairs to about 160', then the rest was ladder. I never gave it a second thought back then. 330' is a LOOONG way up - 1786' must feel like being in an airplane.

:Bunny2:

That looks like fun.

I wonder what it does pay?

It looks like they have to work on the light that is below knee level while 2 guys are standing on that tiny platform.

I wish I could find the vid of them fixing whatever they had to fix and the vid of the trip down.

The traffic pattern for landing an airplane is 700 feet.

Edited by Flyinfool

Well, I've never climbed anything nearly that high but used to climb the smokestacks at the power plant where I worked. The highest one was 740 ft. Just a straight ladder right up the side. I would climb to the top to work on the lights. The worse time was when there were contractors there re-doing the walkway around the top and there were just single 2 x 12's laid around it to walk on at the top. They would give as you walked around the top. :)

Of course, that was over 20 years ago. I doubt I physically do it now. :(

Used to climb (as a youngster) my elmer's tower to "fix" things.

I have 60 ft tower in my back yard now. (I guess I should just call that a stick now after viewing this)

I know how I feel when I have to go to the top of the 60 and when they said they were transitioning to the actual antenna and ONLY had another 60 to go....... Well, I'm glad I was sitting down.

I should be able to stand back up in a little while:big-grin-emoticon:

I have great admiration for those guys.

I just watched it again.

It still looks like fun.

I do not know if at my age I am physically able to make a climb like that any more.

BUT

Once he gets to the top I notice that he is standing on the platform with the light and is using BOTH hands to mess with the ropes BEFORE he ties himself in.

His partner is not wearing a parachute for the trip down.

At least there is an elevator to get you to the 1600 ft level that only leaves a 150 foot climb to the top.

I just watched it again.

It still looks like fun.

I do not know if at my age I am physically able to make a climb like that any more.

BUT

Once he gets to the top I notice that he is standing on the platform with the light and is using BOTH hands to mess with the ropes BEFORE he ties himself in.

At least there is an elevator to get you to the 1600 ft level that only leaves a 150 foot climb to the top.

I agree, looks like fun. In my younger days When we used to climb towers and mast to do Antenna maintenance we would mess with new guys by making the tower sway real bad:whistling:, you would be surprised how much they move.

:cool10:

I just watched it again.

It still looks like fun.

BUT

Not sure if I'd call it fun, more like a "heck of a haul," or doable. Not much room for error up there. Just think if you only had one pair of channel locks and you dropped them and that's the only tool that would do the job. I get mad if I drop something and have to bend over to pick it up! LOL

I agree, looks like fun. In my younger days When we used to climb towers and mast to do Antenna maintenance we would mess with new guys by making the tower sway real bad:whistling:, you would be surprised how much they move.

:cool10:

..... and you're still here to talk about it??? Must be "fleet of foot"!! :whistling:

In my younger (dumber) days I climbed towers for 10 years. Had a real close call that made me rethink my priorities and called it quits. I wasn't getting paid extra to do it and had no professional training. (back to the dumber part)

I will say this, it's pretty exhilarating sitting on the top of a tower looking for miles around while eating your lunch.