IGNORED

Thanks To Troy Savoie, I learned how to sew!!!

ajlyoung1221

So...after I got my $180 dollars back from the bank on my chargeback, I decided to start a journey. Here is a breakdown of how I spent my money that I got back after Troy stole it from me.

I started by buying a half hide of upholstery leather on Ebay for $56 dollars. After receiving the leather, I then trekked out to the garage and made some quick templates. Took me about 1.5 hours to make the templates.

At first I was going to take the cut out of the hide to an upholstery shop to sew them up, but it was a rainy day. I decided, to learn how to sew. I went down to Target and bought a sewing machine for $79.99 + tax, then headed to Hobby Lobby to buy some upholstery thread and leather needles. (They didn't have the leather needles, so I opted for the heavy duty all purpose needles.) Total Cost about $12.

Then I went to Advanced Auto and bought 18 ft roll of trim for $12.

I, then read the manual on how to set up the sewing machine and thread it. (It has been since 1993 in Home Economics class since I have sewn.) So, away I went...

I knew I still had enough left over leather to screw up 3 times... :fingers-crossed-emo

So, I started with the Tank Bib, since that was just pretty much a straight sew. It came out really nice, I was quite impressed with my natural ability. Took me 5 minutes to sew.

Then I started with the Saddle Bag Bras. These were a little more difficult, but I was still able to sew them up and trim them out in about 45 minutes.

I learned a few things that might have helped. The leather that I bought was a little thick. It made it hard for the trim that I bought to go over the seams. It also was not very plyable. It worked great for the tank bib though. I also learned that I might need to redo the patterns, because as you can see from the pics, they are not a PERFECT fit.

In the end, it does work for me. I may take another crack at it, and maybe some more leather projects, as I have quite a bit left over.

All in All... This is my point.. If Troy would have had the templates already made. It would have taken him less than 1.5 hours to cut, sew and fabricate my order.

Remember, I am a rookie and it took me that much time after I made my templates.

In my opinion, he is a scam artist and he just takes payments ahead as a steal. When the pressure is put on, then he comes through. My materials cost me less than $80 (plus a sewing machine). If he really had my materials like he said, he should have sat down and sewn the order.

So for 160 dollars, I am quite satisfied with the outcome.

Well I for one am impressed. Looks good. What you did sounds like something I would do but usually the results are not as good.

I'm amazed that 80 dollar sewing machine was able to do such a good job.

Looks great though,

BOO

Well, I enjoyed doing it and wouldn't mind making more sets for others, but....

I need a lid to make better templates from, cuz I don't want to be taking mine off and on. So if someone has a spare lid that I can practice on, to keep. I would give them a set for free. I don't want to sell or make something for someone else that isn't perfect.

Any takers let me know.

I need a lid to make better templates from, cuz I don't want to be taking mine off and on. So if someone has a spare lid that I can practice on, to keep. I would give them a set for free. I don't want to sell or make something for someone else that isn't perfect.

Any takers let me know.

WOW, I can't see the difference of what you did and perfect? Looks like a dang fine job to me! GREAT job! :thumbsup2:

Bryan

Any takers let me know.

Adam - your's look way better than the ones Troy made for me. It does help to use a heat gun especially on the plastic trim. I think you have a future in this!!! dad

Now how could this be 320474292651 just saw this ebay number and it says more than 10 available. Is TS back in the saddle?

Wonder if the chrome trim for the bottom of the lid comes w/ it? :smile5:

I learned how to sew patches this past year on my vest this year. Most of them come out pretty good, except I have one that is below my neck that is a little cockeyed.

AJ those look great. I know you said you thought it didn't fit completely on the lid but anything else? To us, those look perfect as is. I know sometimes we are our worse critic. I would consider a tank bib w/ a pocket.

Once you get comfortable then you work on getting fancy like braids on the sides, etc...

:thumbsup2:

Any takers let me know.

The least expensive one on eBay is over $40 shipped...