IGNORED

No more fuses for me

muffinman

Got bored and took a few aircraft circuit breakers to the SS bike yesterday now I have NO glass fuses on my bike any more. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Jeff

That looks great! so when are ya coming up to Western Canada to do mine? :smile5:

Brian

Just don't try to get on a military base/cross the border or anywhere near DC with that bike Habib!:Laugh:

with all that cicuitry they may just think its a bomb!

Just kidding, it looks good... you'd think one of the bike or car manfacturers would replace those fuses with something that was re-setable...

One more for the Upgrade Wishlist!

Jeff, what is the voltage/amperage threshold for the breakers? Are they of a bi-metallic type trip or heat-spring?

What are you gonna do tomorrow?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Mil-spec 3320 aircraft circuit breakers, that these appear to be, are thermal breakers.

A good breaker will open a 1000%(rated amps) in .1sec, but a good breaker will not open a 138%(rated amps) overload after 1 hour. This means a 10amp breaker will not open with a 13.8amp load. I would suggest putting a fuse back in the TCI circuit, or install underrated circuit breaker.

Resettable circuit breakers are available in the non-aircraft market because I specified them on the first of the Grove 150 ton truck & crawler-mounted hydraulic lattice cranes back in the mid-'80s. I have long since forgotten whose I used, but I do know that Sierra International makes a similar breaker that is marine rated, so it should provide the vibration resistance and water resistance needed for a bike application. And they're less than ten bucks apiece. I've seen them on Amazon.com. If I can run across some of my old material, I may be able to ID what I originally used. It would likely have been a variant of a part I use in nuclear power, without the "N-Stamp". I'll check and get back to ya.

So, I looked for myself.

These fit in our automotive style fuse base without modification it would appear, except for height.

There are several styles of small breakers (I almost said mini breakers...)

here's the link to all their styles. Maybe we have ATC type ? http://www.bussman.com/6/BladeFusesandAccessories.html

Edited by RandyR

I'm beting on the

CB227 Type III manual reset ATC footprint low-profile circuit breakers comply with SAE J553 and SAE J1171 for ignition protection. Color coded in amp ratings of 5, 6, 7 ½, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30A????

http://www.delcity.net/store/Blade!style-ATC-Circuit-Breakers/p_151.h_751807.a_1.t_1

$3.15 apiece???

FYI

Society of Automotive Engineers Standard SAE J553

Standard J553 defines testing and performance requirements for circuit breakers

up to 50A for 6V, 12V, and 24V operation. It defines the three types of reset:

Type I, Type II and Type III.

Conforming circuit breakers:

Must carry 100% of rated current continuously for a minimum of 1 hour

Must open at 135% of rated current within 1 hour

Must open at 200% of rated current within 1 minute

The specific current capacity of the circuit breaker is a function of the particular

electrical system being utilized. It is recommended that the actual performance

be verified through testing experimentally in the proposed application.

"It is recommended that the actual performance

be verified through testing experimentally in the proposed application."

Sounds like a CYA caveot to me...

Like : "Warning this coffee may be extreemely hot! " for all those dufffffesis that want to get rich quick without having to work for it.

Do I believe these $3.15 breakers are as dependable as the $500 ones? Of course not...

I'll research/test experimentally a little more , find out what applications they are being used in currently (Range Rover)? and buy a few to satisfy my curiosity.

I will also keep origional fuses for backup.

CaptainJoe the test Pilot!

Not trying to belittle anyone, and I personally do like circuit breakers. My whole point is that thermal circuit breakers, by design, can allow higher than rated current to be passed without opening for extended periods of time.

Just providing info, for those who may be interested.

The most critical electronic component on our scoot IMO is the ignition TCI, And would hate to needlessly burn on up.

Now to be fair, any fault we would normally experiance that would blow a fuse, would be a hard short, and a hard short WILL open a circuit breaker in milliseconds.

Also, if there was an internal TCI fault that would blow a fuse, probably makes no differance if a circuit breaker was slow to open, because the TCI has a fault!

I don't like circuit breakers. I've seen too many melted wires to trust them on an important circuit. They don't pop at their specified amperage. They have to get hot first and sometimes that can take a while.

I've also seen Harbor Freight and Chinese fuses melt a wiring harness because they do not pop. Instead the "fuse" melts slowly.

Nothing but Bussman Fuses for me.

Maybe the aircraft ones pop at the specified amperage. I don't know, I've never seen or used them.