IGNORED

I need some GPS help

Motorpig

Alrighty everyone...been lurking for about a year in the forums...in the past week ive been all over the GPS forums but im just confusing myself more...so please help me out a little here...

I am looking for a GPS for my 04 RSMV, This will be my first GPS purchase so i am relying on the experiences of everyone here. I ride a lot, 20k to 25k a year, but i mainly stay local. I am going to start my longer trips this fall though (Oklahoma is first) and need a reliable unit to guide me along the way. I mainly use my Ipod for music, so the MP3 player may be a good idea, my wife rides with me so i need one that wont effect the intercom either.

Ive looked at a re-furbished Streetpilot 2730, a nuvi 7xx series, and a few zumo's (550/650). Please post yoru experiences with your GPS' models, how you mount it, how you waterproof it (bag, drybox, unit itself), how the screen looks in the sunlight, and any other info you would like to share.

Also, for the "non-motorcycle" model users (Nuvi), do you think the vibration of the bike causes the problems that have been previously discussed on the forum?

:bobby:

Hey Clint,

I have had the Garmin Nuvi 855 on my 87'VR for over a year now and it functions really well. I have attached a few pics of the home made mount I made. I have this unit directly wired to my fuse box with a fuse just for the unit. It has gotten pretty wet and never malfunctioned. I do carry a zip loc bag that I have used when it was really raining hard.

I got this unit for my birthday as a gift from my wife and it costs around $200.00 It has the MP3 player and another feature I like is it has the FM transmitter so my music plays thru the stereo system and even the little british girl comes in over the radio. I use the screen protectors from Wal-Mart to protect the screen from my gloves and dirty fingers and have gone thru 3 so far. This was my first GPS, and for the money has been like "sliced bread" for me. I never get lost now,

Good Luck in your search for the right GPS,:thumbsup2:

Earl

MOUNT COMPLETED.jpg

NUVI 855 MOUNTED.jpg

Guess might say mine is a dinosaur Garmin Street pilot 2720

Bought it off E-bay as a refurbished unit has been on my Gold Wing & Venture with over 21,000+miles never once did it ever give me any trouble !

And will be using it again next weekend going to Eureka Springs AR.

its not fancy either but it gets me where I want to go !

As for mounting I found that the "Ram mounts" are the best for me and easy to remove the GPS so I can lock it up in the trunk while away from the bike...

The Ram mounts came from Cycle Gadgets in Eureka Springs AR. really nice place to see and visit. small but nice set up!! they know us the venturerider.org and know what you need as for mounting a GPS on a Venture.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/ram/ram.asp?prod=RAM-SPIII

Give them a call..

Hey Clint,

I have had the Garmin Nuvi 855 on my 87'VR for over a year now and it functions really well. I have attached a few pics of the home made mount I made. I have this unit directly wired to my fuse box with a fuse just for the unit. It has gotten pretty wet and never malfunctioned. I do carry a zip loc bag that I have used when it was really raining hard.

I got this unit for my birthday as a gift from my wife and it costs around $200.00 It has the MP3 player and another feature I like is it has the FM transmitter so my music plays thru the stereo system and even the little british girl comes in over the radio. I use the screen protectors from Wal-Mart to protect the screen from my gloves and dirty fingers and have gone thru 3 so far. This was my first GPS, and for the money has been like "sliced bread" for me. I never get lost now,

Good Luck in your search for the right GPS,:thumbsup2:

Earl

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that: Have had a nuvi for a few years, I like it just fine! No vibration problems. Craig

I got the Zumo 660 by mistake,,, don't ask, long story. I'm glad I did.

It's:

Waterproof

MC compliant

Reads fine in sunlight

Works the way it should

You can download routes planned on Map Source

Has a SD card slot up to 4G

Does back track so you can see your back route and make it a custom route.

Names, addresses and phone numbers

Blue tooth

Lane assist,,, nice item

You can put 4 different info displays on the screen, such as distance to travel, speed and whatever other info it tracks

Comes with mount for car and MC and knows where it's mounted

Keeps track of your fuel level and you only need to push a button once to find a fuel station when it shows up.

Easy to unclip from mount,,, really easy and that's nice.

It drops onto pavement and keeps working.

Along with all that, it does what a GPS should do,, all the basics.

What it doesn't have is an FM transmitter, so you need a patchcord for sound in the car,, the bike is hard wired.

I have a Gramin Zumo 550 that I like because it has a very good bike mount and easy to hard wire. The buttoms are large for using with gloves and there is a simple locking screw for locking the unit in it's bracket. Now that I said that it would not be hard for someone who knows about the lock but it may stop a grad and dash.

If you use the audio when riding the Zumo will stop the music and give you the up coming direction change... BUT I think it must be hard wired for this to work.

I purchased the Garmin lifetime data upgrade and they email me when the is a update for downloading.

I also have a XM radio set but do not use the Zumo for audio. I use my XM on 4 cars, 2 boats , a wave runner and 2 motorcycles and when cutting the grass. The Zumo XM antenna's cost stops me from putting them on everything. Too lazy to change antennas when using the Zumo when almost everything already has XM antennas installed.

Marcarl...are you SURE about that 4 Gig limit on the SD card? I have a 665 now and I have a 16 Gig card in it with about 2300 songs on it and it works great.

Now that you ask,,, I'm really not sure, I have a 4G in mine, but I checked the web site and the owners manual and it doesn't give limitations, so I may have this info from a former GPS and it just stuck with me,,, so it may take something larger. It is a Micro-Card though.

Yes, mine is a micro card also. It handles the 16 GB fine though. There were some reports that there was a 2000 song limit but I've found that to be incorrect because I have well over that amount on mine and it works fine. I had an 8 GB card in my previous 550. It worked great but there WAS a 1000 song limit on the 550. My card is the PNY brand.

I asked the same questions that you're asking last year. My budget wouldn't allow for the Garmin motor cycle units so my search was for the most bang for the least buck.

I settled on the Nuvi 780.

Features:

●MP3 player

●Blue tooth

●Routes are downloadable (is that a word? This is important if you want to take long rides and follow your own route instead of the units proposed route)

●wide screen

●easy to use

●moves easily between bike and car. ( I purchased a second ball type mount for the bike, but planning on working with Skydoc on a prototype for the 2nd gen)

●FM Transmitter, but I prefer the hardwired patch cord. If you add the mic in the Bluetooth works great.

Hope this helps

I asked the same questions that you're asking last year. My budget wouldn't allow for the Garmin motor cycle units so my search was for the most bang for the least buck.

I settled on the Nuvi 780.

Features:

●MP3 player

●Blue tooth

●Routes are downloadable (is that a word? This is important if you want to take long rides and follow your own route instead of the units proposed route)

●wide screen

●easy to use

●moves easily between bike and car. ( I purchased a second ball type mount for the bike, but planning on working with Skydoc on a prototype for the 2nd gen)

●FM Transmitter, but I prefer the hardwired patch cord. If you add the mic in the Bluetooth works great.

Hope this helps

I also have the 780. Love it. It has every feature I'll ever use or need.....except for the waterproofing. But, I can't see paying $400 extra for that one feature. Mine has been in light rain and had no problems. I do carry a sandwich bag to put over it if I get into a goose-drowner.

Hard to beat it for the cost involved.

Zumo 660...best accessory I have purchased for the bike...

Works great, never had any problems at all. No regrets spending that much money. I can pick out my route with the mapping software and run those back roads to really see America. Dump it in the GPS and forget it.

I love the fact that it comes with a windshield adapter for your car, that way I can use it all the time, not just while on the bike.

I would highly recommend the lifetime maps. 4 map updates a year comes in handy.

Also Garmin is really good about updates to the 660 software...I gues they are fixing bugs I have not found but I have notices during the upgrades small new features, that come in handy...example now my speed shown in the bottom corner turns red when I am over the posted speed limit.

Thanks to everyone who is replying...I also find myself having a real hard time paying so much for a motorcycle specific unit. I do appreciate the input from everyone and I know this thread will help some other people out as well. Im going shopping today, Ill get back to everyone when i bring one home.

I have the Zumo 550 with XM and wouldn't want to be without it. Not so much for directions as the radio and telephone. It sounds like you ride a lot locally and I am guessing you commute as I do. Being able to answer calls on the bike is a huge benefit to me. It's not uncommon for me to get a call on the way home with instructions to pick up dinner if I want to eat.

Dennis

I have the Zumo 550 with XM and wouldn't want to be without it. Not so much for directions as the radio and telephone. It sounds like you ride a lot locally and I am guessing you commute as I do. Being able to answer calls on the bike is a huge benefit to me. It's not uncommon for me to get a call on the way home with instructions to pick up dinner if I want to eat.

Dennis

i live 50 miles from work one way, and i ride most of the time. So yes, the phone calls would be nice. Thanks for that.

I have had a Zumo 550 for 3 years, worked good up until this spring when it just locked up....returned to Garmin and they offered a refurbished unit for $160 bucks which I thought was fair since I was long past warranty....well the refurbished unit lasted less than a month or 3 uses......it was sent back and now "awaiting part no eta"

Got a week long trip planned for next week so I went out and bought a Nuvi 265WT (will use the BlueTooth function in a vehicle) and the appropriate Ram Mount cradle....be aware that you have to make a very minor modification to the Ram Mount cradle if you want to use the Gilson hard wired vehicle power supply due to the right angled mini usb plug...265 offers no routing, music, water proofing but it will do until I find out about my Zumo.....a work around the routing is to enter waypoints as Favorites and then manually pick from the Favorites list, music...back to the iPod, water proofing....zip lock sandwich bag