IGNORED

Need opinions on Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer and Dryer

Midrsv

I know this isn't bike related but you're a large family to throw the question out to. My wife and I are looking at a top of the line Whirlpool Duet front load washer/dryer set. The price is right. I've looked at online review sites and see a mixed bag of opinions. I see the same from other manufacturers reviews. So, I'm looking for input from real people with first hand knowledge. I can get the top of the line set for about $1300 which is about $800 less than Lowes price. Should I look elsewhere? Does Whirlpool make a decent set?

Thanks,

Dennis

We have the LG units which are basically the same..Been a great machine or machines..Note if you get it it only takes about ¼ the amount of soap you normally use.

We have the Sears Kenmore Elites, also basically the same. We love them, as well, & they also use about ¼ the amount of water. Very efficient machines.

I know this isn't bike related but you're a large family to throw the question out to. My wife and I are looking at a top of the line Whirlpool Duet front load washer/dryer set. The price is right. I've looked at online review sites and see a mixed bag of opinions. I see the same from other manufacturers reviews. So, I'm looking for input from real people with first hand knowledge. I can get the top of the line set for about $1300 which is about $800 less than Lowes price. Should I look elsewhere? Does Whirlpool make a decent set?

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi I can give you an anaswer. We bought the same front loader I can tell you that we had good and bad experience. We had nothing but trouble with our washer it was repaired 7 times in 6 months. I finally got fed up and complained to whirlpool and the good news was that they replaced my washer with a newer free of charge and added an extra year warranty on both machines its been almost 6 months now and haven't had a problem. We must have purchased a machine that was built on a Monday or a Friday LOl. All in all these are great machines for the price and the company backs thier product. I hope this helps.

Jim

They have been very good. The dryer did come in with a door issue (was out of adjustment) - and the repairman knew NOTHING - he was an idiot who started looking at the washer to try and fix the problem with the dryer door, then warped the dryer door. Lowes replaced the dryer because it was the day after delivery. Since then, the machines have been very good - would buy them again if needed.

We have just the washing machine. It quit working (pumping) after we had it about 2.5 years. Luckily the pump wasn't burned up but stopped because the filter was plugged. You need to do some periodic maintenence to keep it working well. My model doesn't have access to the filter without removing the lower front panel but I understand newer models have an access panel.

Dave

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis,

where you gettin it from? At that price, I need to go looking.

I bought the Duet washer at a thrift store locally for $80, it started leaking and turned out it was an issue with the water pump, the motor had been getting water in it and burned up.. seems like there was some sort of issue with the plastic fittings, can't remember, but it was about $50 in parts (Ebay) and maybe 30-45 minutes to fix it. Been going strong for years after that with no other issues. Our water bill has dropped since switching to a HE type washer.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis,

My son works in appliance/kitchen cabinet sales at Lowe's. He has attended factory training for every brand that Lowe's sells. He will not allow me to buy the Whirlpool units. Says they are known throughout the industry for cheap components and shoddy workmanship. Whenever someone expresses an interest in buying Whirlpool he is honest with them and tells them what he knows. He recommends either the LG, which is a better unit, or ideally the Samsung units. We have the Samsung and I couldn't be happier. Very quiet, very low water consumption with huge load capacities, very well built. They are about 1.5 years old, no issues at all, they just work.

Joe

We have the LG units which are basically the same..Been a great machine or machines..Note if you get it it only takes about 1/4 the amount of soap you normally use.

It takes a special soap for front loaders. If you use the regular soap it will cause the seal to start leaking around ther door, and it will have soap build up inside the tub

You will also cut the laundry time by 60% because the front loader will hold 2 to 3 times as much clothes. We also have the LG's

Maytag washer & dryer here. We have the Epic Z series which are front loading with the dryer mounted above the washer. The soap & water useage is very low (1/4?), don't know but for a fact my water bills are less. Have had them 2 years now and not a problem yet. Previous washer/dry was Maytag as well and had them for some 20 plus years. great service with very little maintance over the years.

Larry

Dennis,

My son works in appliance/kitchen cabinet sales at Lowe's. He has attended factory training for every brand that Lowe's sells. He will not allow me to buy the Whirlpool units. Says they are known throughout the industry for cheap components and shoddy workmanship. Whenever someone expresses an interest in buying Whirlpool he is honest with them and tells them what he knows. He recommends either the LG, which is a better unit, or ideally the Samsung units. We have the Samsung and I couldn't be happier. Very quiet, very low water consumption with huge load capacities, very well built. They are about 1.5 years old, no issues at all, they just work.

Joe

woohoo!! We have a set of the Samsungs and they work great.

I personally have Cabrio top-loaders that are HE units too. When shopping around was hearing a lot of chatter about the front-loaders getting a musty odor in them. Supposedly due to the fact that the door is always closed so any remaining water can't evaporate from in the drum also causing mild mold to build up. Anyone experience this with their front-loader?

I personally have Cabrio top-loaders that are HE units too. When shopping around was hearing a lot of chatter about the front-loaders getting a musty odor in them. Supposedly due to the fact that the door is always closed so any remaining water can't evaporate from in the drum also causing mild mold to build up. Anyone experience this with their front-loader?

I read this a lot as well. The simple solution was to leave the door open a little bit to let it air out. That's what she does and there's no smell.

Thanks for the input. You guys are starting to scare me away from Whirlpool. I have access to an employee sales program that allows me to get a pretty good price on the units. I went by Lowes and HHGregg at lunch and it seems that a similar LG or Samsung set would run $800 to $1000 more. Are they worth it? We don't have kids and wouldn't be heavy users.

Dennis

I was in Commission sales In Appliances for over 10 years and our most reliable laundry overall was the Whirlpool stuff, and the Sears stuff made by whirlpool. In my opinion its the best buy for the money. Occasionally every company (even Whirlpool) makes a bad one but thats why I would pay a bit extra to stay with a bigger company that can help you out in case of a lemon, (but not a lot extra.)

Brian

I agree. I know NOTHING about front loading washers and dryers but I've been buying Whirlpool appliances pretty much all my adult life and have never had an issue.

Me too. However, I'm really struggling with this purchase. The price is right but I've read quite a few user reviews which indicate a high repair rate on Whirlpool front load units. There are a lot of satisfied users as well. The failure rate on Samsung and LG seems to be less based on the reviews I've read but they are about 25% more expensive. I've been told that the Whirlpool units are built in Findlay, OH and I like the idea of buying from a US company and factory. I'm just worried about future problems. I can be swayed at this point.

Dennis

I got one of the first whirlpool duet sets about 8 years ago. Love them but all the plastic is starting to crack, and washer door about to fall off.(rusted hinge)

When I get a new set will look for one with minimum plastic ( all metal).

Recommend get pedistals with machines, Better half made me go get them after, Machines just sit too low, I just can't understand $200-300 for stamped sheetmetal pedistal, each...:(

Found only dryer door is reversable, not washer. My plumbing service is on right hand side, and with washer on right door opened to center of washer and dryer. Reveresd machines, dryer door, and run extra long hoses so doors open to outside of both. Something to consider.

We have the Whirlpool Cabrio set too. They are great.

But get the ones with the glass doors, so you can see what the hell is going on in there.

The washer does some stuff that you got to see, not just hear!

Spins fast enought to move forward two time zones in the final spin. If you start it at 1 AM your clothes will be ready yesterday.