IGNORED

Had a weird thing happen today

Gary N.

We stopped in Sheridan Wy to do a little shopping and pick up some groceries and gas for the space shuttle. I was just coming up to the intersection to get back on the I-90 and a guy pulls out of gas station with a boat on a trailer and lucky for him it was me he cut off. Just as he pulled out I put my foot on the brakes and I see something fall from his vehicle. It was his wallet, full of cash, credit cards and ID.

I stopped right on top of it and Mary went out and gathered up as much as she could without getting run over. She is sure she didn't get all the cash.

By now the guy is booting it up the on ramp and way out ahead. No chance to catch him with the shuttle, even with the Ultra Power upgrade. So what should I do? By the time I got on the hwy. he was out of sight. I pulled over at the first opportunity and went thought the wallet looking for a phone number and all I found was a personal check with a phone number but the last two digits couldn't be read. There was a business card for a county parole officer (don't jump to conclusions) so I called the number but the women didn't work there any more. The guy I talked to did some digging and came up with a cell number. I tried it, no answer, but the recorded message was by the guy so I left a message with my cell number.

Haven't heard anything yet but we're at Devils Tower tonight and there's no cell reception. If I don't hear anything tomorrow I guess I'll just pack it all in an envelope and ship it back to him.

My dilemma is that I have no idea how much money might have blown away and I don't want him thinking I stoled it. We found one, hundred dollar bill but who knows how many there were? I was in the middle of the road holding up traffic and wasn't too worried about a few that got away.

Found a pocketbook a young lady had left in a shopping cart at Walmart and she had just gotten to the local college from out of town and was buying supplies. Her pocketbook had all kinds of personal info, even her birth certificate where she must have used it to register. She was from a town about 100 miles away and there was not any information on how to get in touch with her. Fortunately, there was a Blockbuster Video card from her hometown and I called them and they finally gave me her cell phone number. I called her and she had not even realized yet that she had left it.

The funny part was when I met up with her, I told her she would need to show me some ID and the look on her face was priceless, given I had all the ID she probably ever had.

Oh, and good for you Gary!!!

RandyA

I would go with the local law enforcement,,, maybe,,, they will probably want to know who you are, and then if the guy claims that there was more money there than what there is now, you might get stopped at the border for things unknown. I would call the locals first first and see what the procedure is, and if they demand to have your ID, I would then just drop it off on their desk, with a note as to how it got there. I would also park the shuttle a block or two away so they don't get your license number. May seem like a lot of overkill, but it may save you from overkill coming from the law and lots of problems in border crossing in the future. Fie sure, I would not tell the law who I am.

WOW!!!!

What kind of police state do you think they live in???

Is it conceivable that the US authorities may consider an honest person, who finds and returns someone's wallet, as a threat to national security?

SO WHAT if some of the cash is missing!

When GARY N goes in and expains how he found it, the risks he took to recover what he could and they see that he is obviously honest enough to return it...the only consequence will be a "thank you" and perhaps, letting some people know that there are still some decent people in the world!

If they ask for ID, I'm sure it would only be to award any unclaimed money after 30 days...not to check to ensure this honest person isn't a terrorist!

I think you have been watching too many B movies!:stickpoke:

Meantime.....for Gary N......:thumbsup::clap2::clap2::clap2:

GOOD ON YA!

Edited by Trader

First let me say thank you for your honesty.

Second, my own experience I travel the southeast for work and stopped at a gas station off I-26 in Newberry, SC. Went to the door of the station and it was locked. This was about 2:00 pm in the afternoon. Female clerk just shook her head from side to side in a "no" manner. This was pretty weird in my world, so I went back to my car, pulled away from the station and called 911. Ten minutes later a Newberry County sheriff shows up. Turns out the lady working had to use the restroom and locked the door while she was taking care of business. The officer came up to me and asked if I was the one that called. I said yes, he asked me for my license and ran my dl #. Of course I had nothing to worry about but the more I though about it the more I thought what was that all about.

Sometimes it is really hard to do the right thing.

Found a wallet out on the golf course. I checked it and found it belonged to a co worker who was on the course ahead of me. It had $700.00 in it. I caught up to him and after exchanging plesantries I asked to borrow $20.00. The look on his face when he reached for his wallet and found it wasn't there was priceless, the look on his face when I handed it to him was just as good. I found another wallet which had $400.00 in it. It belonged to the girl who cuts my hair. I went to her shop and gave it to her. She did not know she had lost it.

Done. And happy to be rid of it. Hope the guy gets it back and pays it forward some how.

I hate to have to think that way, but the world is a very backwards thinking place from when I was younger and growing up. Glad that you got rid of it and good on you for being the samaritan that you are...I'm proud of you buddy

:thumbsup2:

I would go with the local law enforcement,,, maybe,,, they will probably want to know who you are, and then if the guy claims that there was more money there than what there is now, you might get stopped at the border for things unknown. I would call the locals first first and see what the procedure is, and if they demand to have your ID, I would then just drop it off on their desk, with a note as to how it got there. I would also park the shuttle a block or two away so they don't get your license number. May seem like a lot of overkill, but it may save you from overkill coming from the law and lots of problems in border crossing in the future. Fie sure, I would not tell the law who I am.

Thanks for the advice Carl. Heaven knows I'm already in their computer for trying to smuggle a wedge of lemon into the country. I get the third degree every time I cross the border now.

Sure don't want to give the fruit and vegetable cops any more ammunition.

Gary you did a good deed. Turn the wallet in and know the guy will be grateful that someone found it and did turn it in. Believe me the loss of cash can be a pain but saving him the trouble of have to replace his license and all the other id will be well worth it. Once again another story about what a great bunch of people populate this site.

i just ran a request from members for help with a Virago my new lady bought and the response was fantastic. I am very proud to be a venture rider because of stories like this and how friendly and helpful you all are. PB&J

I'm not THAT old! You know...like Freebird :whistling:

Is that true Brad? ..... You're as old as Don? .... Never would have guessed that. I thought you had a couple of years on him.

Gary you did a good deed. Turn the wallet in and know the guy will be grateful that someone found it and did turn it in. PB&J

Wouldn't have thought of doing anything but trying to get it back to him. I had a hard time sleeping just knowing I had it.

Is that true Brad? ..... You're as old as Don? .... Never would have guessed that. I thought you had a couple of years on him.

Brad Just looks like he is but really he is not.

Good news Gary glad to hear.

Brad