IGNORED

Tire Plugging

naturbar

You'll have a wide range of opinions on this one.

I've personally ran a plugged tire with no problems.

BUT...

Being that your tire is almost new, I would pull it off and patch it from the inside with a plug/patch. You'll probably be hard pressed to find a dealer that will repair a motorcycle tire though and you'll have to do it yourself.

http://www.i-car.com/graphics/about_icar/current_events/advantage/2002/online_advantge_0218/full_size/fig_3.jpg

I've plugged car and truck tires and as to date have had no issues. I've also did an atv tire and no issue, though it seldomly sees 25 mph. M/C tire ??? In your shoes, would I, "Yes."

I've been told there is a risk for the plug to come out. Running multiple times in excess of 120 mph in a patrol vehicle and I haven't had a problem. Next week I may end up on the Patriot Guard website, but I'm comfortable with it. (dead or alive)

just found a three inch long nail in my almost new rear Avon Venon. i pulled it and plugged it. what are your thoughts on plugging tires? the nail when in straight and on the 'leaning' portion of the tire.

I'd replace the tire. If it had been somewhere in the middle of the tread it might be different, but you're talking about a part of the tire that flexes a lot. I donno, but with my life on the line why take chances.... Confidence in my tires isn't something I need to think about with everything else going on around me.

In the last few months, I have plugged two rear tires. I plugged an Elite 3 that was about half worn out just to get me around a few weeks and it actually took two plugs in the same hole to get the leak to stop. I replaced it with a new E-3 and last weekend put a hole in it. It was almost in the center of the tread and not in a groove area. I plugged it to get me home and then removed the tire and buffed the inside and put a heavy duty patch over the area.

I can honestly say that I am not concerned about mine at all. I would rather it not be plugged/patched, but I am not worried about it.

RandyA

We've talked about this several times and my thoughts on this subject are, "If you can ride the bike and not worry about the plug in the tire then do it" I have no problem with plugging a tire, I wouldn't probably do it in the side wall but I don't consider any part the bike is riding on the side wall. But it's really an individual thing.

The thing I don't understand "Randya" is where in the heck do you guys find all these nails? The Venture is a "touring" bike.......

BOO

I normally have no problem plugging a tire and riding all the life out of it, but not when it is that close to the sidewall. Here are a couple of pictures of a brand new E3 where I picked up a screw at the same place on the tire. I plugged it to get 200 miles home, but you can see the sidewall damage inside.

Goose

I punctured my Dunlop E3 with less than 150 miles on it, so for me, replacing it was not an option. I did my homework and concluded that a plug/patch like the one above would be the best fix. When I took it back to the motorcycle tire store where I bought the tires he called Dunlop and talked to them and they supported the idea of using a plug/patch, however he was insistant on putting a tube in it, so mine now has a tube.

My .02 and YMMV

I think the brand of plug is also a big factor. A friend of mine who is a TECH TIRE rep had 250 in the side wall of his front tire, which he used to demo the plug installations. He wore the tires out without a single failure. However I have used some brands that I would never touch again with a ten foot pole.

I got a roofing nail dead center (in the groove) on a new rear Venom.

I used a "rope" plug but also followed it up with a bottle of Green Slime.

Ran the tire to the nylon. (I did let the shop know it was slimed when the tire was replaced, just to be nice.)

I did look at the plug pretty regular. Appeared stable.

I think if I could have found Ride-On I would prefer that to Slime.

Mike G in SC

I will use a plug to get me from 'flat tire' to point B. I will not run one for long. I have a plug in my new E3 front tire now with about 800 miles. I will change it at my MD in a couple weeks before I start out on a 4200 mile road trip. I have had a front tire go flat at highway speeds. It was a most terrifying experience. A $150 bucks is cheap insurance. Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

:Im not listening to

As you can see here, the general consensus is to plug it. I have a lot of knowledge on this subject. I have picked up 9 nails/screws in the last 10 years on my MCs. I have either plugged them or swapped out the tube (on my tubed bikes). I have never had a failure. I've never used a patch, just the sticky string.

I ran a rope plug on the rear for bout 13K, no problems. My next purchase for plugs will be stop & go http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/3114/Stop_and_Go > You've already done it so I would live with it for the time. Just keep an eye on it. Good Luck!!!

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

I punctured my Dunlop E3 with less than 150 miles on it, so for me, replacing it was not an option. I did my homework and concluded that a plug/patch like the one above would be the best fix. When I took it back to the motorcycle tire store where I bought the tires he called Dunlop and talked to them and they supported the idea of using a plug/patch, however he was insistant on putting a tube in it, so mine now has a tube.

My .02 and YMMV

Which answers a question I had in my mind about whether or not anyone ever used a tube on our bikes...

Since its a side wall puncture with a smooth nail, you should pull the tire and check that there is no cord damage. If there is cord damage, get a new tire.

If however, it went between the cords, patch it and/or tube it, but you still need to take the tire off to determine damage.

To be totally honest though, I've always been told if there is sidewall damage of any kind, (cuts,punctures, bulges) to Replace the tire. Most places will not repair sidewall damage .

Personally, I'd buy and install a new tire, as I've had flats on motorcycles before, and they're no fun on a straight away and downright terrifying on a curve.

As you can see here, the general consensus is to plug it. I have a lot of knowledge on this subject. I have picked up 9 nails/screws in the last 10 years on my MCs. I have either plugged them or swapped out the tube (on my tubed bikes). I have never had a failure. I've never used a patch, just the sticky string.

EVer think of getting a magnet to hang from the front fender? How about sweeping the driveway etc with a magnet. I ain't had 10 flats in 40 yrs of driving.

just a thought

jb

I agree with my long time tire guy (Ken's M/C Tires, Woodstock) - - plug it to get home, then pull it off and put a tube in it. You just don't want to take the chance of it blowing at any speed, let alone a high speed. How much is your life worth, and/or that of a passenger???

EVer think of getting a magnet to hang from the front fender? How about sweeping the driveway etc with a magnet. I ain't had 10 flats in 40 yrs of driving.

just a thought

jb

Not a bad thought, but only one of my flats were near home/work. All the rest were on trips. On the trip I talked about above, I had that flat and caught 2 nails on the way home. I was riding with a group. They didn't get any. I collect the nails to protect the rest.