IGNORED

Well I was run off the road today.

CrazyHorse

Well today it was my turn to have an accident. I was driving on the Hwy in the right lane about 65 mph and I had a vehicle directly to my left. I noticed in my rear veiw mirror a white vehicle coming up on me fast this Hispanic guy tried to split the difference between me and the car I was forced to the shoulder as he passed it appeared he was beating someone and trying to hold them down in the front seat. I didnt crash from being on the shoulder. I caught up to him and looked at him while I was next to him did nothing else but look. I guess this set him off because he tried to run me off the road at this point. I sped up hoping to get away and outran him for awhile but he kept coming after me. I was hoping he was gonna give up but he didnt. I got off at a ramp going a good clip and had a car in front of me and he was closing fast on me like he was gonna ram me I couldnt go around the car in front so I decided to go off road but this exit the ramp is a raised ramp and much higher then the surrounding terrain. I m not sure what happened but I believe I lowsided after I started down hill on the grass/gravel I lost control somehow landed on my back and right side. I went to hospital to get checked out little bruised up but I'm in one piece and nothing appears to be broken little bit of headache though (Helmet on some small scratches looks like my butt and side took the brunt.) It wasnt worth chasing him down to find out if he was hurting someone else. I'm lucky I guess. Didnt get the plate though. I guess he caused another accident down the road though. My bike is probably pretty screwed up I know I broke alot of right side plastic.

We are really glad that you are Ok What you did was a dangerous thing but I do it all the time when some moron drives that way.I also carry so things for me might be different.Next time Call the law and keep an eye on the car.I have had to do that before with drunk drivers.

Heal Quick

Jeff

I'm glad to know your in one piece. It sure sounds like it could have been a lot worse. That was a noble try but ditto on getting the tag # from a safe distance. You said that he caused a wreck on down the road. Was he arrested? I think I would file a police report anyway. There may be compensation in the future if he is caught. Sounds like assault or attempted murder W\ a dangerous weapon.

He got away. Probably a gang banger. Out run him it was the begining of rush hour and you speed up to slow down only two lanes each way grass median with this cheese grater short cable fence. Always someone blocking you in both lanes. You get around them and they see this jag driving crazier then I am and they get out of the way so he keeps coming. If it was a straight shot with not to many cars in the way I would have out run him but I kept getting slowed down, unfortunately and I didnt want to split lanes too much. The medians here now have this short cable fencing which I didnt want to become grated cheese. I got on the off ramp at decent speed but I caught up to the car in front of to quickly on the ramp. I thought about going to the left side of the car but I would had to lean more into the turn because it sharpens and I didnt want my front wheel to catch in the gravel or make contact with that car in a hard lean. So I decided to cut speed quick hopefully without the jag ramming me (he was comin at me with a full boat of steam not slowing down) which from what people said was very close and I decided to go off the ramp into the grass but its down hill. I tried to square up as much as I could when I hit the gravel, dirt, grass and I remember starting downhill and not sure what happened but I believe I lowsided.

I also wanted to see this jags face plus get the plate and see if there was someone he was beating in the front. I looked at him and he got pissed and came right after me.

Thinking about it now I should have cut off the semi I passed and slipped onto the shoulder hit the brakes and let him go past me thus shielding me from his car. Ahh hindsight if it only came sooner.

I have a few rules that I go by.... If someone wants to be dangerous, just let them go. If you just happen to catch up with them at a light, STOP at least 2 car lengths behind them and get a tag#. Even if there's no other cages around. Call it in and let the L E O's do their job. It keeps you safe and your bike in 1 piece....I know, it's not as exciting that way but at least you will be able to roll her out and go for a ride the next day with no wear and tare on the body. Glad you're not too badly damaged. So heal quickly and get back out there.

Glad you weren't hurt worse.

I have had similar incidents in my car a couple times, but without the wreck luckily.

had one guy cut me off and I got up next to him, I was pulling a small trailer, and I gave the guy the finger, and he tried to run me off the road. I just dropped back, and was glad that was all he had the time for. I phoned it in, but didn't ever see a cop.

Another guy paced me for about 20 miles, I tried going 100, and tried going 40 on the interstate. He just kept coming back up right beside me. wouldn't look my way, but wasn't trying to wreck me either.

I finally did something like you wish you had done. I got in front of him, and passed a line of trucks. Knew there was an exit coming up and I ducked inbetween two trucks and cut down the off ramp, probably didn't make the trucks happy, but at least I did it so they didn't have to hit the brakes.

By the time the jerk knew what happened, he was long past the exit.

I got a drink (non-alcoholic) and waited 15 minutes and then got back on the road (had a long ways to go) and never saw him again. Again, I phoned it in and never saw a cop.

I have decided that no matter what someone does, it isn't worth seeing if they are crazy or carry a gun, just drop back, and leave them alone, phone it in at least there is a chance they will get stopped.

I have a few rules that I go by.... If someone wants to be dangerous, just let them go. If you just happen to catch up with them at a light, STOP at least 2 car lengths behind them and get a tag#. Even if there's no other cages around. Call it in and let the L E O's do their job. It keeps you safe and your bike in 1 piece....I know, it's not as exciting that way but at least you will be able to roll her out and go for a ride the next day with no wear and tare on the body. Glad you're not too badly damaged. So heal quickly and get back out there.

Good advice and that applies to when you're driving your cage as well.... I should heed this!

Wife and I driving the cage to work today...dumb chit decides he needs into my lane so puts on his blinker and cuts me off...as if I noticed his blinker in time...left no time for me to back off and let him in....I had to slam on the brakes. So .... road rage takes over in me... I change lanes, shoot ahead of him and then without signalling, I cut in front of him and then hit the brakes. He has to really slam on his brakes to avoid me. That was the end of it. Boy!! did I FIX HIS WAGON! yessirreee bob!

DUMB...DUMB...DUMB ME! I feel so stupid and so lucky that he never creamed me in the rear or something worse like maybe pulling out a gun and shooting me or maybe me losing control and head-on into oncoming traffic.

My wife wasn't pleased.... NEVER will I let road rage take over me again! nosirree.... (now where is that 45 of mine?)

ooops, got carried away there... Jimbob, glad you're OK and still with us... hope both you and the bike heal quick.

Didnt even flip the guy off just looked at him. Something was going on in that car either he was running from something else but like I said when he originally forced me onto the shoulder it looked like he was trying to control somebody else in the front seat by punching them and holding them down. When I got next to him I saw something next to him in the seat not sure what it was but he got infuriated by me looking at him probably should have hit the brakes then but I was already in front of him by then.

ROAD RAGE........it gets to the best of us..but I have to agree with NighthawkII ....

Just pull over, let them go..I dont even bother to get a plate number anymore...I will just sit there for a minute and let them go out of site..then pull back on the road and get back to enjoying my ride..

The jerk will run into someone a lot younger, bigger, and badder than I am one day.... Im too old now to whoop some young mans butt.

Hell, you cant beat a 45....Nowadays, they will shoot you in the blink of an eye for absolutely nothing...if they dont like your smile, you can get shot..crazy people are everywhere..all have short fuses...drugs..man times have changed and the quicker you realize it the longer you will live..

I am certainly glad your still with us, and hope you can learn greatly from this experience..

Please..dont do it again...you may not be a winner again next time...

The bike can be replaced..

Just think,,, if you would have just pulled over and let him go until he was out of site...you and your bike both would be in fairly great shape this morning...

A man begins cutting his wisdom teeth the first time he bites off more than he can chew

:thumbsup2:

Guest KitCarson

Hi Jimmy: I am not going to say anything......give you a lecture lol! You already know....I would say just what Eck and the others have said. I looked at your profile.....so I will guess you are younger still......yep we have all done the same stupid nonsense!! Just glad you are safe. Use it all to some good. Put that temper in your pocket , smile, it is just a thing. Take Care Kit

Thought I would come back and say something.....I used to be very bad!! I have kicked in a car door or two!! Once my wife was doing baby sitting for this guy....had not paid her.....I just came around the corner to witness her crying and him giving her the one finger signal. When I started walking towards him..he took of in his truck.....well did him no good.....I chased him to his apartment......he ran in...would not come out......no problem.....I just hooked a chain out of the service truck to his doorknob and yanked the whole door off..........!!!

Those people in cages that get behind you......honk their horn.....hurry up........what is your problem anyway? Once I calmly reached up, turned the key off......walked back there....knocked on his window.......when he rolled it down..........got the A.......hole by the hair and convinced him not to do that anymore!! That one cost me like $700 dollars.......and 10 days of community service!!

Now older.......mellowed out........full of nonsense..........on a bike....I do whatever it takes to drive defensive. I will avoid all situations that may cause me harm. If someone does something bad......okay.......I am still okay......did not hurt me none........someone wants to act like an idiot......let them......just avoid them......see something coming in your rear mirror.....heavy traffic.......no where to go......pull over and stop........go on later.....no big deal. Bikes are for fun........enjoyment of life.....let all those other people stew and fret about being late.....acting stupid........I used to have a real job.....once!! I do not suppose I would ride to work on a bike........not anymore.....I would save my bike time for my free time and enjoyment....when I can concentrate on it fully. Kit

Well said folks. I'm gonna go get the bike I know I broke up alot of right side plastic I didnt get a real good look at before they carted me away. Im going back to the accident scene to try to piece together what happened. The hill I went down is fairly steep I think one of my crash guards caught the side of the hill making me lose control. I wasnt able to square up perpendicular to the hill before I went over the side more at an angle I guess I'll find out.

I'm really glad to hear that you are relatively OK but sorry about the bike. I have to tell you, what you did was REALLY DUMB...and pretty much the same thing I am would have done. :( I do know better because I know there are a lot of crazy people out there. I really don't have too short a fuse but some things just really get to me and that sort of thing is one of them. I actually kicked a nice sized dent into the door of what appeared to be a brand new Ford Ranger pickup one day in the Dallas, TX area. It was a dumb thing to do as he could have easily just swerved over and run over me. Emotions took over though, never a good thing.

I drive a lot of miles every week and am constantly amazed at the lack of attention from some drivers. Three times yesterday, near Akron, OH, I almost got hit by drivers yakking on their phones. All three of these happened to be women but I've seen men do it also. I actually called the state troopers a few weeks ago when I was following a man down Interstate 71 and while he was typing on his computer he ran 3 cars onto the shoulder. Unfortunately, he got off before I saw the troopers show up.

jimbob , a 1stgen is not a dirt bike , you can not go off road !!! , and ya i know we see things in cages most drivers don't , a friend did the something you did , he was riding his bike and saw a gangbanger beating a lady and driving like a nut , my friend fell in behind the nut and called cops , hard to do on bike , he just yelled at the cell phone and hoped 911 heard him , the nut slamed on the brake , my friend never found his cell phone , any way it was a carjacking and because of my friend , the cops got the nut . check on the bike and see what parts you need and give a yell . remember a 1st gen is not a dirt bike and no off roading !!!!!!

thom

I'm not proud of myself I gotta admit and you folks are right probably shoulda let it go and it was a really dumb thing to do. I went to the accident scene I threaded the needle nicely between the side of road reflectors but the shoulder is a very soft mix of sand and gravel it appears I made it through that ok but a litlle further down the steep embankment appears to have led to my demise . It appears that my right crash guard contacted the soil due to the steep embankment since I was not perpendicular to the hill going straight down I was going down at an angle that would give me very little room from the soil to my right crash guard and it looks like the crash gaurd took out a big bite out of the soil I think this is what did me in. It appears I low sided ripped the plastic off the right side bent some metal but the handlebars and forks and wheels all look ok. Heres some nice photos. I think it fixable my big concern is the frame by the right crash gaurd I know I bent the guard some I wont be able to tell until I get it apart more. I have coolant leaking from the crash guard hitting the water pump feed line and cracking the plastic line. I do have some replacement parts laying around the rest it looks like Ebay.

OK, here is my way of getting rid of a car behind me, that is for tailgateing, or whatever else he is doing to make me nervous, or feel

threatened.

If on a 2 or more lane highway, I sucker him to the right lane, or if thats where you are the time the tailgateing starts.

Ease your bike to the Far Left, side of YOUR lane, the tailgater won't notice this. Now watch your left mirror, when the left lane is clear, quickly jump to the next lane over, and Hit the Brakes. !!

Now you are behind the tailgater, before he knows what happened.

Now keep slowing down an get as far behind the guy as you can in the least amount of time. Especially if the guy has shown any sign of beligerance.

On a two lane road, this don't work. Then I go for speed, open the distance, and try to get as many vehicals between me and him, untill I can dissapear on a right or left turn.

One time I had a guy chaceing me in heavy traffic, on 2 lane freeway. I managed to get ahead of a big truck, so he could not see me, I then took the right shoulder, slowed, got back on and was 3 cars behind him before he knew where I went. He actually tried the same trick with his car, but I opened the distance, and took a side road into a residential area, and lost him. The dude was actually hunting me down.

There are lots of things you can do, to get away, High speed should be the last resort, but use it if you have to .

Make use of you superior manuverability of your motorcycle.

This situation seems to be getting worse of late, If I detect the slightest bit of aggression from a car driver, I do whatever I have to do, to dissapear from his sight in the shortest amount of time.

On trip back from Colo. this summer, I used one of the Illegal U-Turn points on a freeway, that are only there for the Highway patrol.

The aggressor was a mile down the road before he knew where I went, He was going still west, and I was going East.

Anyway, you get my point, Dissapear, go away, slip behind him, whatever it takes Or, just take the shoulder and Stop.

OK, here is my way of getting rid of a car behind me, that is for tailgateing, or whatever else he is doing to make me nervous, or feel

threatened.

If on a 2 or more lane highway, I sucker him to the right lane, or if thats where you are the time the tailgateing starts.

Ease your bike to the Far Left, side of YOUR lane, the tailgater won't notice this. Now watch your left mirror, when the left lane is clear, quickly jump to the next lane over, and Hit the Brakes. !!

Now you are behind the tailgater, before he knows what happened.

Now keep slowing down an get as far behind the guy as you can in the least amount of time. Especially if the guy has shown any sign of beligerance.

On a two lane road, this don't work. Then I go for speed, open the distance, and try to get as many vehicals between me and him, untill I can dissapear on a right or left turn.

One time I had a guy chaceing me in heavy traffic, on 2 lane freeway. I managed to get ahead of a big truck, so he could not see me, I then took the right shoulder, slowed, got back on and was 3 cars behind him before he knew where I went. He actually tried the same trick with his car, but I opened the distance, and took a side road into a residential area, and lost him. The dude was actually hunting me down.

There are lots of things you can do, to get away, High speed should be the last resort, but use it if you have to .

Make use of you superior manuverability of your motorcycle.

This situation seems to be getting worse of late, If I detect the slightest bit of aggression from a car driver, I do whatever I have to do, to dissapear from his sight in the shortest amount of time.

On trip back from Colo. this summer, I used one of the Illegal U-Turn points on a freeway, that are only there for the Highway patrol.

The aggressor was a mile down the road before he knew where I went, He was going still west, and I was going East.

Anyway, you get my point, Dissapear, go away, slip behind him, whatever it takes Or, just take the shoulder and Stop.

Yea I've had lots of thoughts post crash. Thinking bout what happened I lost sight of him and then as I was passing a car I noticed it was his and I was at his door when I made I contact with him I was still passing him when I looked back a second and third time which set him off and he tried to ram me. I never would have gone past him but it was too late. He was on my tail speeding up. I thought it would be your standard ride your butt thing but he got way to aggressive had I known this was going to happen I should have cut off the semi driver I just passed and slid over onto the bigger right shoulder and slammed the brakes to make him shoot past and have a semi betweeen us. This particular stretch of road is 2 lanes each direction with grass median with a nice 3 ft high cable fence to keep cages from crossing the median in accident nice for cars terrible for bikes. The road has very few exits with as much as 20 miles between them and a few u turns. Now out right running him I tried. I pulled away quickly but its the start of rush hour and theres alot of truck traffic so you can speed up but then hit a pack of cars in both lanes which then your only option is lane splitting at high speed and hope a cage doesnt change lanes now coupled with no exits creates not a fun situation. A gun at this point is what I wish I had but in reality I never would have been able to use it. To many other cars around to fire it with out aiming by just pointing it back. Maybe display it hope he backs off or piss him off worse but how much worse can it get. It was alot going on trying to watch front and back with so many cars and trucks out there already wanting to get home and trying to make sure he doesnt ram me from behind which would be really bad. I gotta admit I wasn't mentally prepared for it.

Jim Glad yu are OK, But bike looks like is don his life on earth. Too much Damage on it... Sorry but get your money from insurance and get yourself new 2 nd gen.

Hahaha I just can't cross that line. I know you guys love your 2nd Gen's and I can respect that but they are not for me. I'll try to repair this one if not I'll look for a newer Red 1st Gen or a late 90's BMW K1200LT. I had spares of many of the plastic anyway might need a few pieces.