IGNORED

3,000 miles in 4 days.

lockdoc

Well almost. Picked up my 04 Venture from just north of Brisbane, Queensland and rode it back home across Australia to my hometown of Perth.

I did the trip in 4 days for a total of 4,780 kilometres or 2,968 miles.

The bike ran perfectly with nothing coming loose or worse falling off (including me).

I kept a record of all my fuel stops and my gas useage worked out at

38 mpg U.S.

45 mpg Imperial

16 kms/litre

I pretty much kept to the speed limit and probably sat on around 70 mph.

Saw plenty of wildlife on the road to avoid including - kangaroos, mobs of wild goats, emus,cows,wombats even a dingo and an echidna.

Never having ridden a Venture before I can say I am very pleased with the bikes performance.

I did notice that on some road surfaces there was a lot of road noise coming from the tyres and setting up a loud resonance thru the fairing at certain speeds. The bike is fitted with Bridgestones. Is there a more quiet tyre or is this normal?

Also, I notice the tyres have a very high profile. Is it possible to lower the bike a little by fitting tyres with a lower profile?

All in all I am very happy and would do the trip again but at a more leisurely pace.

Guest sjhrace

keep it up it only gets better.the tire noise i havent found a good fix for i use metzler ME880's i get good milage with just a little hummm.but i play my music loud so it helps...lol

i have a 07 that i bought in november. so i havent had it quite a year and i have almost 26,000 miles on it.this bike has completely spoiled me...

Ace

Hey Steve.

Glad to hear that you made it home okay.

Looks like you would have done your 300kms to the tank.

Mate - I though of you every day you were on the road. Seriously. I was going to give you a ring on Wednesday to see if you were in Gilgandra. I was in Dubbo at work on my bike. The Qld trip didn't come off. I would have loved to have ridden up to Gil to meet you, but I ended up working later than I planned and wouldn't have been able to get away. Damn.

I hope my final assessment of the bike when we spoke prior to your flying out was correct.

Anyway - welcome to the club. How about posting a couple pics of the machine (or should I just go outside and have another look at mine?)

Cheers,

Steve P

Thanks Spear

I really enjoyed the ride and would have liked to have caught up with you.

I'm sure my bikes identical to yours. It was originally a dealer import as Yamaha weren't bringing them into the country at that time. I think there's only 3 or 4 white ones in the country.

I need to change the tyres as I'm not happy with the Bridgestones. Will have to see if Avons are available locally.

Would also like to drop the front end an inch or so.

At 16 kms/litre average the range is around 360 running dry.Happy with that.

Cheers Steve

Steve. When I spoke to you last week, I mentioned the RSV workshop manual I have on CD. You were going to let me know whether or not there was one with your bike. If not, I'll chuck one in the mail for you. Send me a PM with your postal address if you would like it sent over.

Steve P

I did notice that on some road surfaces there was a lot of road noise coming from the tyres and setting up a loud resonance thru the fairing at certain speeds. The bike is fitted with Bridgestones. Is there a more quiet tyre or is this normal?

steve,

i have run avon venoms on the front for many years. no noise, good mileage, and traction. i switched to an avon rear tire in june but after 15,000 i have ordered a new dunlop touring elite II because of a slight whine i have with the avon rear.

glad to hear you had a nice trip.

jim

Steve. When I spoke to you last week, I mentioned the RSV workshop manual I have on CD. You were going to let me know whether or not there was one with your bike. If not, I'll chuck one in the mail for you. Send me a PM with your postal address if you would like it sent over.

Steve P

You can download the owners and service manuals here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1828

now that is a ride,what about gas stations,when i was down there in 96,got out a ways,not to easle to find,would like to do it on a bike,but driving on the right,was a bummer,took me a week to get,better at it,on a bike,could be worce,anyway,now it is just a dream :whistling::confused24:

- - and therein lies your problem lyell.

You shoulda been driving on the LEFT side of the road. :rotf::rotf::rotf: