IGNORED

Can't get bike into toy hauler .. HELP

cb1313

I have a 2005 Venture and a 37 foot 5 th wheel toyhauler. I have lowered my bike rear (Barons) and the front due to my short leges, 29 inch inseam.

Yesterday I tried to load my bike and I hit the trailer floor right where the door/ramp meet the trailer floor. I had to back down the ramp without getting into the trailer. Has anyone found a way to change the angle of the ramp ? I would hate to raise the bike back to stock because I am happier with the bike being lowered.

I plan of leaving next week for Rockford, Il. then Seattle, Wa. then Anchorage and need to get my bike loaded.

Cb

You can place a 2 x 6 or 2 x 13 board on the floor of the trailer right in front of the ramp door hinge, and it will LIFT the front of the bike one inch higher to get the bike in or out of the trailer.

The 2 x 6 (or 2 x 12) board needs to be at least half the length of the bike so that the rear tire is near, or on, the ramp door hinge before the front tire rolls off the board..Once inside you can move the board, or just leave the bike siting on it and tie it down like you normally would..

:thumbsup2:

When you get to the point, just before the bike wants to hit put a block under the rear tire.The block will have to be long enough so whe the bike comes off it will not hit.It will raise the rear and you can roll on in. Take the block because you need to reverse it to get the bike out. Have a good trip.

OR, find a tall curb nearby, or swail/ditch to back the trailer into....that could possibly get the ramp 8-12" higher ...changing the angle of the ramp ....gud luck , clawed:smile5:

Would you be able to make a rig to somehow lift the back of the ramp once the bike is on it... then you just drive it straight on. Or if your ramp is also your back door perhaps you can install a winch to lift the ramp up.

I think it would be best if you parked your truck under a tree that has a very large branch.

Hook a come-a-long or wench to the branch,, and slowly lift the front of your truck up in the air to where the trailer ramp door is only about 8 inches off the ground..

Then you can push or drive your RSV into the trailer where it is level.

Then tie it down real good.

Then take a ladder and a chain saw and proceed to cut the branch off the tree trunk and your back in business..

And good luck on your road trip......

:biker::beer:

Reshape the ramp into an arch. Kind of like a venturi. Then as the front wheel enters the trailer the rear will be coming off the peak at the arch. The arch can be easily made from wood and bolted to the ramp.

Mike

........ ----

...... -------

. --------------

Let all the air out of the rear trailer tires which wil lower the trailer thus decreasing the angle. Then just repump up the tires, orrrr, remove the tires and set the trailer gently down on the ground on the axles, then rejack the trailer up and reinstall the tires...

Hi I have a 07 vortex . I just put a 4x4 or a 6x6 under the front jack. Left to desired height. Make sure you chock tires and get the ramp off the ground before starting to left.

I had the same problem. got a 06 royal star tour deluxe. not a nice feeling doing a balance act trying to get bike of the stuck point hope you have a safe trip cheers dave

I think it would be best if you parked your truck under a tree that has a very large branch.

Hook a come-a-long or wench to the branch,, and slowly lift the front of your truck up in the air to where the trailer ramp door is only about 8 inches off the ground..

Then you can push or drive your RSV into the trailer where it is level.

Then tie it down real good.

Then take a ladder and a chain saw and proceed to cut the branch off the tree trunk and your back in business..

And good luck on your road trip......

:biker::beer:

Best idea I've ever read on here. But, I want to see this idea in action....please make a video of the process in case any of the rest of us need to follow suit....Good Luck:fingers-crossed-emo

get bike up on to a high driveway, back trailer up to driveway, put ramp down to top edge of driveway, this will level out ramp and give you more clearance on bottom end. had to do this with vulcan if I ever trailered it, a couple of friends hd's too.

Any trailer should have a jack on the front that can just raise the front of the trailer. In most cases, you can leave it hooked to the tow vehicle.

Another alternative, is several places sell short ramps specifically made to go UNDER the lip of a ramp door, and extend the length, making it easier to load low cars/bikes.

one place is Griot's garage http://www.griotsgarage.com

Buy two and place them side by side for your bike, and apart for 4-wheelers/atv's.

Don

You want to be able to take the bike off the toy hauler, so you need something that works anywhere. I made a couple of notched wedges to raise the ramp a little, decreasing the angle.

Hope this helps

What type of lift assist do you have on the toy haulers ramp/door. If it is cables , get a motor assist to help with the raising of the ramp/door. If not , rig up your own winch cable to help raise.

Now where am I going with this ? As you drive the scoot up the ramp and to the point to where you are about to high center, have a remote to activate the winch or motorized cable assist. Thus raising the ramp door and also decreasing the angle of the dangle.

You can also get a couple of linear actuators and make some quick mounts for removal near the base of the ramp. Get the wireless remote to activate the actuators up or down to raise or lower the ramp. Ride the scoot up as far as you can , then raise/lower the ramp. Problem solved !

BEER30

Wow. $300 each? Yeah I think you could make something similar with some 4x4 and 2x6 lumber. I think you can buy 2x6 in 10 ft lengths. Cut em in half, then rip each piece diagonally to create 4 sloped pieces. Glue em and screw em together and each 2x6 will make a ramp about 7+ inches wide. Add more pieces until you have the width you want and attach the 4x4 for the step support for the ramp. Or keep the 7 inch width and make several to keep them lighter. Might even want to glue on something non slip or spray em with bed liner. These will be 64 inches in length, almost the same as the fancy $300 ones.