IGNORED

Motorcycle Superstore---not so super???

Mel

Well, here goes. It may get a little bit long, but here are my thoughts.

On March 17th I ordered two Scorpion Hat Trick jackets @ $149.99 each. They shipped them on March 22nd, and I got them OK. I was pleased with the price as they were lower than most other sites, and I had looked at the jackets at a local dealer (higher priced) and knew exactlly what I was getting.

Last Thursday 04-22 I get an ad from them in my email and they have the same jacket for $114.99, $35 less than I paid, for a total of $70.00 less for the two. So I sent them a polite (I thought) email inquiring about a possible price match. Here is what I sent, and I also added my name, address and phone number:

"Subject: Price of Scorpion Hat Trick jackets

On 03-22-2010 you shipped my order number 1031756 of two of these jackets. I paid $149.99 each for them. You now have them on sale at $114.99 each. $35 each is a signifigant difference in price. Is there any chance that I can get a price match refund of the $70 more that I paid? If I had only waited a month to order my two jackets I would have gotten them for $114.99 each.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter."

Yesterday, Tues. 04-27 (5 days later) I got this reply:

We do not go more than 7 days for match

That's it, that's all they sent. I was not happy with how they responded. It is their choice as to how they establish their price matching policy, but I felt that they were rude and very unprofessional in their response. Following is my reply to their reply:

"What kind of response is this? No name, no comment, no thank you for your business. Not even any punctuation. This certainly is not the way to promote your business. This response must be from someone who just doesn't give a damn about this business, only that they get a pay check.

I checked as much of your web site as I could to find your written policy for price match against yourself and could not find it anywhere. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to where to find it.

Meanwhile, I will post my feelings about your your customer service (and price match policy), and your lack of courtesy, to the motorcycle forums in which I am active. Some of them even list your store as a recommended source to purchase parts and gear, etc. Seems like they must not know the whole story. By the way, I sent my email to you last Thursday, 04-22-2010. Got the response Tuesday, 04-27-2010. Seems like a long time to wait for such a short response."

Needless to say, unless I get some kind of positive response from someone in their customer service, managment, or ownership, they will never get another order from me.All this FWIW, and now I feel better.

Mel:Venture:

Sorry, but I can't take your side on this. You priced the jackets at a local store and then ordered on line for a lower price. It doesn't matter if they started giving the jackets away, you ordered at the price at the time. If they lower it later that is their perogative. I've had this happen to me before but I have never gotten upset. I just consider it my problem that I ordered before the price was reduced.

Right on Mel!

If they are selling them at $35 cheaper, they are STILL making a profit, so it is poor customer relations to GOUGE a previous customer. Getting the word out is the way to do it, hurt them in the wallet and let them know you are doing it.

Eddie, I don't think Mel's discontent comes from them not matching the lower price but rather from their rude & unprofessional response to a reasonable question. If they would have simply responded in a courteous manner and perhaps explained their policy I doubt if Mel would have even posted anything here about his experience with them.

I see both sides of this.

On the one hand I would be upset too if they lowered the price right after I purcheased the same product.

On the other hand it would be like buying a pound of steak at the grocery store and asking for the price difference when it went on sale the next week.

Either way, the response was completely rediculous for any proffessional company. But it seems like more and more these days people are following this trend.

I see exactly where Mel is coming from. The older I get, the less patience I have for these IDIOT kids that are employed in what they call "customer service". Personally, I won't email them; I would rather call and speak to someone. If I call in I start out as the nicest person that they have spoken to all day but if I get rude service or attitude then I become the worst they have had.

And this has nothing to do with WHY you contact them. It's how it's handled by them.

I'm a superviser in a Customer Service dept and I would not be happy if one of my techs sent that reply. Should have been (We are sorry but it we only honor the sale price if the sale was within 7 days. Thank you for your patronage, we value our customers. The superstore.

i don't like poor and untimely responses either. i had a similar situation where an article was discounted a week or so after i had made a purchase. i made an inquiry about it and was told nicely there was too much time in between, but my business was appreciated and given a 10 % off coupon to use for future purchases.

that is what i believe service is about.

treating the customer for who we are - the people who create the profit base that keeps the store open. it is such as simple concept - kind of like stopping at a red light.

They had the lowest price and now you want exceptional customer service as well. You got your jackets at a very good discount. Why give yourself heartburn because it turned out not to be the lowest price ever for all time? Be satisfied that you did your homework and bought at the best price, largest discount available on the day you forked over your money. If you want to purchase a couple of spare jackets for when yours wear out, this sale might be the time to do it. Or they could be less in a couple of years or months. Or they could be more. Their response while short and not very articulate answered your question. Live with it.

I don't think you should knock the whole business, because ONE person sent you an email that wasn't very supportive.

I have had very good experiences with Motorcycle Superstore, and will continue to do business with them.

In situations like this, I always go back to a sign I read in an auto parts store:

Price - Quality - Service

Pick any two.

Basically, if you shop based on the absolute lowest price, you are going to give up either quality or exceptional service. A company cannot provide the lowest price and still maintain the quality and service of the higher priced stores.

Guest seuadr
I don't think you should knock the whole business, because ONE person sent you an email that wasn't very supportive.

I have had very good experiences with Motorcycle Superstore, and will continue to do business with them.

likewise, i've had nothing but good service from them.

every time i've contacted them i've had full, polite responses. you mightve just gotten someone that was having a bad day. if this was what happened to everyone, every time, then i would agree there is something wrong, but lets face it, everyone has an off day, and some people are incapeable of not letting it affect their work.

Pick any two.

QUOTE]

So ..... they're telling you "We're either gonna gouge you, sell you a piece of s**t or treat you like a piece of s**t!!"

Amazing what people will put up with.... telling you that right on the wall and people still shop there???

Pick any two.

QUOTE]

So ..... they're telling you "We're either gonna gouge you, sell you a piece of s**t or treat you like a piece of s**t!!"

Amazing what people will put up with.... telling you that right on the wall and people still shop there???

Since when did "reasonable and fair" pricing automatically mean gouging?

They are simply saying that if you are going to pay a super low price, in some way or other you will "get what you paid for". Our parents and grandparents understood that concept. Unfortunately we are accustomed to the "Wal-Mart" philosophy. And that is one major reason that there are so few manufacturing jobs left in this country. We demand "always the lowest price" and then get mad when some other aspect (quality or service) isn't as high as it used to be. They have to cut somewhere.

Everything has a cost associated with it.

When you go to the dealer he has a nice facility on a prime piece of real estate. He has items in inventory so you can have it right away. Hopefully he has a warm body to assist you with your purchase. He also likely has a cute gal greeting you at the front door. The store is staffed 60-72 hours per week so a warm body is there when you want them.

All of those things cost him money and get rolled into the price of your purchase.

Online sellers have a warehouse in the cheap section of town (assuming they have any inventory at all). Everything is packed so tight you couldn't see one item from another if you were in there. The lighting will be minimal and there will be no extravagances like windows. They are probably only staffed 40 hours (or less) per week to ship and recieve merchandise. Their customer service may well be outsourced to some place that pays their people $4/week and lets them eat every other Thursday.

Those kind of facilities cost much less and that reduction is passed along in the lower price of the item.

Most people are not willing to pay for excellent service. That's why the country is buried in Wal*Mart stores and the mom and pop shops are gone. Of course most love to complain about the poor service they get from bargain outlets.

They should have sent you a more polite response. It's a safe bet though that the flunky who does them has to do sixty or more an hour. He probably got beat up the day before for only doing 59.

As far as sale prices go - Motorcycle Superstore did not necessarily make $35 more on your purchase. It's entirely possible the manufacturer or distributor offered them an incentive that was not in place when you placed your order. I regularly get calls that offer me sweet deals if I place orders for large quantities of an item.

My :2cents:

Having worked in retail for many years, I agree that for a certain price you will get a certain level of quality. In some instances you pay more and you get a better product.

And in some instances the same item is exceedingly higher priced ..... gouging.

As a business owner I would want my customers to know that I am trying to do the best I can in order to meet their needs and at the best price. Having to compete with giants you must make service your #1 priority. For instance, if Home Depot has 25 bolts for $5 and Joe's Hardware can't beat that price, he opens up boxes and sells them individually, thereby creating a service and still competing. IMHO - To post a sign on the wall saying "pick two" is showing you can't compete. Just something I would not do or someplace I would not shop.

Mel

Like Judge Judy says... Two agreed upon price and goods delivered. Better deal 7 days later is NOT the original contract... judgment for the Defendant Motorcycle Superstore.

You sent a very nice email trying to modify the above said contract! Defendant replied was Short, (un)Sweet but to the Point! I think 7 Days is wonderful they have to stop some where? Most other vendors do not give you ANY DAYS.

Have a homebrew and relax. If you are a grumpy retiree just remember... getting old is NOT an option but being grumpy is an option and 99% dislike grumpy.

2 cents.

Hyper-sensitivity is fast becoming a major problem in this country.

Just wondering - when will giving someone a dirty look be an offense punishable by law?

Motorcycle Superstore has been fantastic to me in our dealings. I've returned things multiple times (you know how hard it is to buy something online) with no problems at all.

Of course, I'm not the overly sensitive type. :crackup:

I'd probably be a little miffed if I bought something & the price changes within a week or so. Longer than that I chalk up to bad timing on my part. The non-responsive (or rude)response would on the other hand get me spun a mite quicker (and has in the past). I sympathize with you, however, as others have said, I've done a fair amount of business with them and have not had the communication problem you describe. So, that seems very much out of character for them. Regarding the price thing...I can see where their internal procedures might prevent the matching from being viable. That said, though, if it's a big enough deal to you and if you still have the packaging and the tags, etc., you could always send the stuff back for a refund within 60 days (with conditions & some costs, of course), then re-order at the lower price. I personally don't think it would be worth the hassle and if you're like me the packaging and tags went in the trash the day day the package arrived, which pretty much obviates sending them back anyway.

I have called company presidents & CEOs on the phone before over similar issues where customer service was problematic and ALWAYS got immediate attention and satisfaction. You might get an apology AND a rebate....you never know!

Edited by autopilot
spelling