IGNORED

My 2009 RSV and Whine

I know we just about beat this to death, but it is a VERY annoying sound.

My question is that can I ASSUME that my 2009 already has the "I" Basket clutch assembly installed? Or is it possible I could still have an earlier clutch basket in the bike.

Thanks,

Wally

I would doubt that it has the "I" basket in it. The fact is that MOST of these bikes do not have a whine that is offensive. You read a lot of posts about it here but in the grand scheme of things, they make up a small percentage of the bikes sold. I don't think Yamaha has ever installed the "I" basket as the standard simply because if it were installed in the majority of bikes that don't need it, it would likely cause problems on those bikes.

I would suggest that if yours is too loud, you take it to your dealer and complain about it. Ask them to have Yamaha authorize the swap.

I would doubt that it has the "I" basket in it. The fact is that MOST of these bikes do not have a whine that is offensive. You read a lot of posts about it here but in the grand scheme of things, they make up a small percentage of the bikes sold. I don't think Yamaha has ever installed the "I" basket as the standard simply because if it were installed in the majority of bikes that don't need it, it would likely cause problems on those bikes.

I would suggest that if yours is too loud, you take it to your dealer and complain about it. Ask them to have Yamaha authorize the swap.

Don, I have to question that statement. Out of the 12-15 RSV's that I have personally heard, I cannot think of more than one that has no whine. I know you qualified your statement by saying "offensive" whine....but most that I have been around are in the offensive category.

I wish that people who own an RSV or RSTD that has NO whine at all would post to a thread so we can see just how many of those "hen's teeth" actually exist.

I think I was wrong in the way that I said it. I have argued this here forever that there is a difference between a whine and a clutch basket high pitched "chirp". I fell into the trap this time of using the word "whine". ALL these bikes have a whine and that is caused by the straight cut gears and you are not going to get rid of it. When we are talking about the "chirp" though, that is what I am saying that not ALL bikes have. Some have almost none, some a little but not offensive and some sing like a canary. Now with this much needed clarification, I'll stand by my statement. :)

Oh...and other very easy way to determine which noise you have...even though to me they are entirely different...is that I can usually hear the clutch basket "chirp" even when the bike is idling though it get much louder and more annoying at speed. You cannot here the "whine" at idle.

Ok, I have an 06 RSV. Yes, at speed you can hear a slight gear whine but not at idle. I have nothing like a "chirp" on my bike. I have no problem hearing my radio, CB or intercom. I do however have a problem hearing the frequency that my wifes voice falls in. :confused24:

I have hard the annoying "chirp" sound but it was on 93 Venture's bike, a 93 VR. He also replaced his cluch basket to get rid of it.

I don't know the difference between the chirp and whine. I thought my 05 had a whine. At 16,000 miles I had the I basket installed and the noise, whether whine or chirp, went completely away. I'm now at 48,000 miles and I'm getting the noise again. It is minor now but I hope it doesn't get louder. I rode a friend of mine's 04 and he has a whine at low speed, around 30 or 40 mph but it goes away after 40 mph. The whine I have on my bike now can't be heard until 60 or 70 mph. I don't hear anything at idle.

Guest scarylarry

The only whine I hear from mine is the tires, in a lean or just slight lean they will make a whine.

I have order a set of E'3 hoping that it will take it out, cause I know that my noise is from the brickstones I have on my bike, they are a trash for a tire and 99.9% agree with that..

So if you hear a whine on the 09's looks at the tires that what I did after many conversations and leaning this way or that way to stop it..

I don't know the difference between the chirp and whine. I thought my 05 had a whine. At 16,000 miles I had the I basket installed and the noise, whether whine or chirp, went completely away. I'm now at 48,000 miles and I'm getting the noise again. It is minor now but I hope it doesn't get louder. I rode a friend of mine's 04 and he has a whine at low speed, around 30 or 40 mph but it goes away after 40 mph. The whine I have on my bike now can't be heard until 60 or 70 mph. I don't hear anything at idle.

You'd know if you had the chirp. The chirp appears at the same RPM in every gear. If you're lucky, it won't be in a range that you use much. Seriously it sounds like the sound the Jetsons' car made.

I find that mine starts right at 50 and starts to go away about 55 when I'm in 4th gear and starts at about 65 when in 5th. Luckily I do most of my highway riding @ a speed that I don't have to listen to the chirp. However, I find that some of my riding has to be in 4th right in the 50 to 55 mph range. Or I shift to 5th and down shift if I need power.

06 TD - There is an intake whine much like on a goldwing if you are listening for it but, the gears/clutch are very quiet. maybe just a little "whir" (Certainly not a chirp and I wouldn't even call it a whine) at 45 in 4th but if you aren't listening for it, you won't hear it. The Bub's do cover up quit a bit but just mosying around - they are pretty quiet too. Listening to the one on the youtube vid on that other thread - ours has nothing.

I think I was wrong in the way that I said it. I have argued this here forever that there is a difference between a whine and a clutch basket high pitched "chirp". I fell into the trap this time of using the word "whine". ALL these bikes have a whine and that is caused by the straight cut gears and you are not going to get rid of it. When we are talking about the "chirp" though, that is what I am saying that not ALL bikes have. Some have almost none, some a little but not offensive and some sing like a canary. Now with this much needed clarification, I'll stand by my statement. :)

Oh...and other very easy way to determine which noise you have...even though to me they are entirely different...is that I can usually hear the clutch basket "chirp" even when the bike is idling though it get much louder and more annoying at speed. You cannot here the "whine" at idle.

OK, this I agree with. All of them that I personally have heard make some sort of a whine. Believe me, I know what the CHIRP sounds like!! My bike sounded like there was a 2-ton Canary living in the clutch housing.....Just ask Pegscraper, he'll tell you that it was a screamer.

I can live with the whine as long as it is soft to moderate. The chirp makes my teeth hurt!

My bike sounded like there was a 2-ton Canary living in the clutch housing.....Just ask Pegscraper, he'll tell you that it was a screamer.

I can live with the whine as long as it is soft to moderate. The chirp makes my teeth hurt!

Amen Brother, preach on!! :bowdown: :thumbsup2:

Although mine is probably only 1 1/2 ton canary. :Bunny:

The only whine I hear from mine is the tires, in a lean or just slight lean they will make a whine..

I got that too ... had it on my '87 and my '85 ... I call that one a "howl" . Seems to get more "howly" as the tires wear down.

our 04 RSV does not have whine or chirp at any speed, gear or RPM.

just that nice motorcycle engine sound and the rumble from the pipes.

it is not for sale, in part or whole. it has just over 23,ooo miles on it.

It would be cool if you or somebody could do a similar video to the one in the "Too much whine" thread with sound to show the rest of us what a "non-whiner / chirper" really sounds like so we have something to shoot for or at least know what we're missin.

On my 2001 RSV I have the chirp in every gear. 4th at 50 to 60 and 5th 60 and up.So an I basket would maybe take care of some of the chirp? And how much does one cost? I just got the bike this spring. Also can I change it my self or have the dealer do it?

Thanks for any info.

Rich:Venture:

On my 2001 RSV I have the chirp in every gear. 4th at 50 to 60 and 5th 60 and up.So an I basket would maybe take care of some of the chirp? And how much does one cost? I just got the bike this spring. Also can I change it my self or have the dealer do it?

Thanks for any info.

Rich:Venture:

If you do a search for I-basket or clutch basket, you will find lots of info on how to change it. If you're at least a bit familiar with wrenching on stuff, you should have no problem doing it yourself.

Guest retusn

My 01 with 14K on it does exactly as stated below. But I'm like a couple others in the fact that mine sounds like a whine vs chirp. Maybe a whine and chirp are the same to some of us. I dunno. All I know is that it is very annoying.

"You'd know if you had the chirp. The chirp appears at the same RPM in every gear. If you're lucky, it won't be in a range that you use much. Seriously it sounds like the sound the Jetsons' car made.

I find that mine starts right at 50 and starts to go away about 55 when I'm in 4th gear and starts at about 65 when in 5th. Luckily I do most of my highway riding @ a speed that I don't have to listen to the chirp. However, I find that some of my riding has to be in 4th right in the 50 to 55 mph range. Or I shift to 5th and down shift if I need power. "

I have an extra one on eBay right now at a lowered price of $175.00

I can remove it and do it privately and save eBay fee's if anybody

is interested. Not much different then my new one. I just had to know.

My Loss your Gain. A new (I) basket with Shipping is about $289.00 (partshark)

you also need a gasket. I have one of those as well.

Jeff

I had a very loud "chirp" when I bought my 07 new. Took it to the dealer and of course he gave me a copy of the TSB regarding the "chirp". I told him I understood I could expect so "chirp" but this was very loud and annoying. He said bring it in, we'll check it for you. I dropped it off and he called the next day, stated in his opinion the "chirp" was excessive and he would contact the regional Yamaha rep and "try" to get a new gear set. I picked the bike up that day at which time he told me he would call "if" he gat approval to replace the gears. Called me the next day, received approval for replacement, said it would take a week or 2 to find a good set called the next week, took the bike in, picked it up the next day. "Chirp" is about 25% of what it was and tolerable. As stated earlier in this post it's at the same RPM in every gear. but no sound @ 100MPH

:322:

Edited by jer878
frogot spell check