Well things are coming together. I bought a kit with the hardware and adaptor plates from Dingy a while back and been locating the proper lights and power plugs to fit. Got the lights the other day and the plugs should be here next week. The stock headlight bucket has been drilled and the plate fitted and I assembled the whole thing yesterday.

Hella 90mm H9 Projectors high and low.

Mean looking lil bugger ain't it?

These should toast the fur on Bambis butt. So much for overdriving the headlights now. :whistling:

More info and pics as it comes together.

Mike

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

• 1 year later...

I haven't done a thing with mine yet, but it looks great!! I'm gonna use mine on the project '85 bike. The '84 is going to stay with the MK2 mod and a Silverstar.

Thomas, one of the best inexpensive mods you can do to your '85 is to remove the rubber headlight bezel and paint it gloss white!! Ask Marcarl about that, before I even put in a brighter headlight it was just as bright if not brighter than his with a Silverstar and reflectiuve tape on his bezel!!!

Here is the original thread when I finished. About the same info I just posted with some comparisions with the SilverStar bulb that I had been using.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47752

As far as heat, really not that much of an issue. I feel no heat on the outer glass at all and only when I put my hand in the high beam lens itself does it feel warm, but not too hot. Low beam you can hold in your hand. The rear of the units was where the heat was a concern at first. The back side of the high beam got the warmest and I was worried about the heat issue and the surrounding wires and connections. I've been in the bucket now I think three times since install and see no problems at all. The rubber liner inside the housing seem to be unaffected by what warmth there is. Not that much.

Edited by Snaggletooth

Well things are coming together. I bought a kit with the hardware and adaptor plates from Dingy a while back and been locating the proper lights and power plugs to fit. Got the lights the other day and the plugs should be here next week. The stock headlight bucket has been drilled and the plate fitted and I assembled the whole thing yesterday.

Hella 90mm H9 Projectors high and low.

Mean looking lil bugger ain't it?

These should toast the fur on Bambis butt. So much for overdriving the headlights now. :whistling:

More info and pics as it comes together.

Mike

Glad I came up with that idea of the headlight upgrade! and really glad to see others doing it as well.

I found having the low beam on the left side will throw more light on the edge of the road from not being shadowed by the rubber housing. It's not a big difference but I like as much light as possible getting put on the shoulder.

Oh and upgrading to a set of silverstar ultras will REALLY get the light in the eyes of bambi on the shoulder. The shutter in the 90mm hella modules is perfect for that.

Glad I came up with that idea of the headlight upgrade! and really glad to see others doing it as well.

I found having the low beam on the left side will throw more light on the edge of the road from not being shadowed by the rubber housing. It's not a big difference but I like as much light as possible getting put on the shoulder.

Oh and upgrading to a set of silverstar ultras will REALLY get the light in the eyes of bambi on the shoulder. The shutter in the 90mm hella modules is perfect for that.

On all of my vehicles that have separate HI and LO beam bulbs, I have always rewired with a relay to keep the LO on with the HI. I have always felt that the HI did such a good job of getting light down the road that it misses the stuff that is up close on the road or on the shoulder. You just have to watch your total amp draw on the scoot.

One option is that Hella sells the Low beam bulb as a HID that only draws 35 watts but creates 8X more light than the highest wattage silverstar ultra bulb you can buy. This will drop 20+ watts from the total load and allow the low beam to stay on all the time. basically the high/low switch simply switches on/off the high beam module only. and this would make a giant difference at night.

If anyone wants a wiring diagram to power the both projector lights while on high beam PM me.

I eliminated reserve lighting unit, jumpered CMU, put one relay in to switch hi/lo and another relay to kill headlight when cranking. Power for headlights no longer runs through stock harness.

This is complex change, but does provide full voltage to headlights.

Wouldn't do this to a stock bulb, running both elements at same time will overheat and kill bulb.

Gary