IGNORED

Yamha is crazy

ediddy

I posted this morning asking for help locating the part number for some bolts that came out of my fairing. I looked at the drawing on the yamaha site but couldn't tell which bolts I needed but Squidley replied promtly along with some other members. I just went to my local dealer with the drawing to order the bolts. There are six bolts for the fairing but even thought I only need three I thought I would order six in case I lost one in the future. Besides, it can't cost much for a few bolts. I also ordered six washers that go with the bolts and I also orderd a bolt that goes in the right cowling where you get to the fuse box. The parts clerk entered the order and said that will be $47.50. I said hey I don't want the gold ones just the regular ones and I asked how can they be so much. He said the washers were $4.50 each. I told him to cancel the order for the washers and just give me the bolts. It was $8.50 for the bolts. That is too much but I can stand to spend that much but $47.50? When these bolts come in I'm going to ace hardware and getting bolts the same size as the ones I ordered in case I need them in future. Yamaha is out of their mind.

heh... that's like buying a cadillac versus an plain jane chev ... both with get you from point A to B but because it says "Cadillac" (or Yamaha) it costs twice as much.

I went to buy a snack yesterday...looked at chocolate bars, etc... decided on a yummy "power bar" .... basically the same as a chocolate bar... but when I went to pay for it the clerk said... "that's $2.45 please" ... WHAAAATTT??? he said "yep, it's a power bar sir!"

geeeeeesh!

I guess you could be thankful you aren't riding a Harley... (not to suggest there's anything wrong with them...)

The only problem I have found with trying to get replacement hardware from home-depot, lowes, ACE, Menards and a local hardware store is that for a few of these bolts, they need to be extra long or whatever and they are just not available through these stores. (can always cut to length, IF they are long enough to begin with).

BUT I'll pay the premium on a couple of these suckers if I have to and get the rest elsewhere.

The only problem I have found with trying to get replacement hardware from home-depot, lowes, ACE, Menards and a local hardware store is that for a few of these bolts, they need to be extra long or whatever and they are just not available through these stores. (can always cut to length, IF they are long enough to begin with).

BUT I'll pay the premium on a couple of these suckers if I have to and get the rest elsewhere.

My local ACE Hardware has yet to let me down on any of my nut/bolt needs. :thumbsup2:

most napa stores has a huge selection of metric bolt and nut etc. if you live in a big city area, just look up screws and bolts in yellow, if they don't have them they'll get them. i use to work on all kind of food made in netherlands and germany and they all had metric bolts and nuts, and they keeped us stocked up with them.

Guest seuadr

if you can't find the right length at a big box, see if you have a local "bolt and screw" place. i go to michigan bolt and screw and they are around 25-35 cents each, they match the thread and pitch when you bring them in just to be sure, and usually have them in multiple finishes and grades:happy34:

i get my bearings for 3-4 dollars each from a similar place that sells bearings, i take the old ones in, they match'em up, and i buy the generic bearing box instead of paying 5 dollars for the yamaha box :crackup::crackup:

If the part number of a screw is 90149-05299-00 I assume this would be a 5mm size but what is the length.

If it is the 6 bolts/screws that attach the two sides of the cowling together than the part number I found in the Yamaha Venture Parts List is 92014-05025-00 which mean that it is

a 5mm x 25mm or about 1 inch long. Without going out and taking one off my bike I seem to remember that the screw is about 1 inch long. If I was going to buy one that is what I would get.