IGNORED

Couple of gas questions.

Oldslow

for the extra few cents it costs i go with premium. bike runs better, no knocks and pings, and i get better mileage. of course my old 97 is carburated and i don't know about the fuel injected machines. ride safe and be cool, thumper1:guitarist 2:

You guys using regular or premium?

I always get a gas smell in my garage after coming back from a ride, what's up with that?

I run regular in mine all the time. It doesn't seem to mind the 10% ethanol at all either.

As far as the smell, are you firing on all 4? I lost the #3 coil and it was just suckin fuel mixture in and pushing it out the exhaust and smelled like fuel when I parked it.

Just a thought, Scooter Bob

I run regular in mine all the time. It doesn't seem to mind the 10% ethanol at all either.

As far as the smell, are you firing on all 4? I lost the #3 coil and it was just suckin fuel mixture in and pushing it out the exhaust and smelled like fuel when I parked it.

Just a thought, Scooter Bob

Good question. I have noticed a small vibration. But it does seem to have good power.

Good question. I have noticed a small vibration. But it does seem to have good power.

Got to be careful doing it, but I was sure one wasn't firing, so I checked exhaust pipe temp(with my fingertips) and the dead one you could hold your hand on when fully warmed up.

And it had some loss of power, but would still run 65 mph without any trouble to the shop.

Later, Scooter Bob

Got to be careful doing it, but I was sure one wasn't firing, so I checked exhaust pipe temp(with my fingertips) and the dead one you could hold your hand on when fully warmed up.

And it had some loss of power, but would still run 65 mph without any trouble to the shop.

Later, Scooter Bob

EXACTLY what I was thinking... Scooter Bob is SPOT ON and be careful with the FTT (Finger Tip Test) and make sure to reach around behind the chrome heat shields directly to the exhaust pipe. You will find the non firing cylinder that way then could be spark plug or Coil. Good Luck

If it's coming out of an overflow hose under the bike you have a float acting up. Either the float is soaking up gas and sinking or you got crud on the needle or stuck under it. Time to Sea Foam or open it up and take a look.

As far a gas smell I had that late last year to. I did find that I had not tightened a clamp on the fuel line going into the pump completely and it had a small drip dropping onto the exhaust pipe. Not a big leak but enough to cause the smell. Couldn't find it with the bike off. Only dripped a bit when it was running.

I run regular? Isn't that whats recommended by manufacturer??? higher octane, higher temps????

Higher octane = lower temps...or at least that is what I found running 115 octane race fuel in motocross bikes. I found the race bikes run at times 20 degress cooler with race gas. I use a infrared temp gun to measure this.

I run regular gas in mine also.

Mine doing the same thing, fuel mileage I thought was low, only getting about 30-32 mpg.Has a little vibration thought that might be from still running stock tires. Will have to check this out. Thanks for the post and the info. WHAT A SITE, WELL WORTH THE MEMBERSHIP!!!!!!!:thumbsup2:

only getting about 30-32 mpg.

That's pretty bad, even for one that's not broken in yet. You should at least be up around 40 mpg.

The only time mine ever checked out that low was when dragging around the X wife and all the crap she stuffed into the pop up camper trailer we were pullin'

Later, Scooter Bob

When you run high test fuel in your RSV you lower the operating temp. of the engine and you DO NOT get a complete burn of the fuel and air mixture. This leads to fouling plugs, carbon build-up on the valves and a general lack of performance in the engine. You will see signs of this at the tail pipes as a black sooty deposit on the inside end of the exhausts. Put the money you save on the gas into safety chrome or some cassettes for that "state of the art" tape deck you got there.:sign just kidding: Or invest the money in next years dues for your VR.ORG membership, it would be money better spent.

Earl

The higher the octane the harder gasoline is to ignite. This is to prevent knock (pre-ignition) in a high compression engine. Used in a low compression engine like ours it doesn't burn completely which can lead to carbon buildup. And it doesn't help that a carburetor isn't the most efficient way to deliver fuel to an engine. So, as Yamaha recommends, , use regular.

You guys using regular or premium?

I always get a gas smell in my garage after coming back from a ride, what's up with that?

Premium fuel is a total waste of money if your engine is not pinging. If you know the chemistry about octane ratings, you know it is impossible for any engine to run smoother or have better fuel mileage from higher octane, but there are always people who insist on arguing with that. The one FACT here is that the manufacturer specifies regular fuel for this engine.

Your floats are set too high - that is the cause of the fuel smell. It is also possible that a float valve is not fully seating, but that is unlikely. I know for a fact that all these carbs have the floats set WAY too high from the factory, and setting them properly almost always stops that smell.

Both of these subjects are discussed is great detail in many older posts.

Goose

i ran some plus and premium gas just to see if there was difference. would run 2 tanks of each just so i would run out what was left of the previous tank.

i found 3 things:

#1. there was no difference in performance for my scooter no matter how i drove it.

#2. i spent needless money cause most folks said to run regular.

#3. i run regular. if i stop somewhere with 10% whatever, no difference either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suggest you run the same test.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seafoam is one of the 2 fuel additives that a lot of members use in the gas tank. do a venture rider search on seafoam and then a google search. your bike will be better for it.

Yammer's jerking your leg Massey. :stirthepot: He probably owns stock with them as he uses it so much.

Larry