IGNORED

Buying a Deka Battery

Evan

There have been so many good reports on the Deka ETX18L battery for my 88VR that I have searched for retailers here in Ontario with little success. One local supplier can get me one but at almost twice the US price. So, I just got off phone with Bohannon Battery Distributor in Florida who are willing to ship to me here in Ontario. Is there any reason why I should be leery of Bohannon or shipping a battery to Canada? Any advice appreciated!

I just ordered 2 batteries from them. One for my Venture one for my sons V-Max. The one for my Venture came in 2 days. I am still waiting for the one for the V-Max. Hopefully it will be here today or tomorrow. I couldn't believe the weight of the Deka 19 lbs. :D

I have the Deka from Bohannan in my bike. Good quality heavy duty battery. Josh at Bohannan is top notch. Cant speak for corrosives crossing the border though. Im pretty sure it would have to travel UPS Ground service. :smile5:

Not worries about Josh and the Bohannon crowd. Great folks to deal with. If Josh says he can get one to you, he'll get it done.

Now the border and shipping costs.....that's another issue.

I've had my DEKA for a year and it's still hanging tough. Bikes been sitting for a week and the meter still said 12.8 and 100% charge this afternoon.

I saw another post on the cost being so high in Canada. I think it was over $135.00. Wonder why it's that much up there?

I have not purchased from these guys .....

But I have done a ton of cross border buying (mostly ebay) Just a word of warning.

I noticed that they use UPS for anything over 5 lbs, and with MY experience, expect to pay a rip off brokerage fee and some trumped duty fee.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but it came up when I started to create a new thread so....

I ordered a Deka ETX18L AGM battery from saskbattery.com just before Christmas and it arrived at my post box just before or just after New Years Day. Not sure when exactly cuz it never got checked. Anyway, the cost was CDN$109.50 + $5.48 tax with no shipping cost.

Seems that about US$95 + $50 from US retailer shipping to US address is around the norm so the price I paid would seem to be quite good for us Canucks.

As an added bonus the Deka ETX18L just happens to be the model that also fits my 96 Virago 1100. Ain't it grand when something just falls into place for no good reason. :big-grin-emoticon:

• 2 months later...

If you have a Carquest Auto store near by check with them. Deka are handled/made by EastPenn www.eastpenncanada.com They supply us (Honda Dealership) EastPenn that is and I was talking to them last year about getting a Deka battery this year with my car battery order. As far as I know they also supply Carquest but not sure if they relabeled.

Keith

There have been so many good reports on the Deka ETX18L battery for my 88VR that I have searched for retailers here in Ontario with little success. One local supplier can get me one but at almost twice the US price. So, I just got off phone with Bohannon Battery Distributor in Florida who are willing to ship to me here in Ontario. Is there any reason why I should be leery of Bohannon or shipping a battery to Canada? Any advice appreciated!
Check out http://saskbattery.com/ecommerce_435.htm. I got one from them a couple of months ago. Posted the info on here but no one seemed interested.

OOps already said this. Should read the whole thread before opening my yap.... Oh well.

Holy old thread, eh Camos?!!?
Yes it is but the thread came up when I was posting about SaskBattery and I thought why not add to it instead of creating a new one. Not sure if it was a good idea or not.

The info I posted is most likely only of value to a Canuck anyway. Deka's around here were about $160+ and getting one from across the border almost doubled the US selling price. We are at such a disadvantage. :crying:

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it is but the thread came up when I was posting about SaskBattery and I thought why not add to it instead of creating a new one. Not sure if it was a good idea or not.

The info I posted is most likely only of value to a Canuck anyway. Deka's around here were about $160+ and getting one from across the border almost doubled the US selling price. We are at such a disadvantage. :crying:

Saddlebum started it!!!!,,,,, leave to old brains!!! they can do anything!!! maybe it's what he was drinking Saturday. :whistling:
Yeh Thanks a lot Camos. In the end all you accomplished was setting me up for another POKE :stickpoke: by Marcarl :backinmyday: all because I failed to see the initial date.:bang head:

On the other hand the info I posted in response still holds true RE: were and how much I paid for the decka battery last year (2013 to clarify). Worth looking into if anyone here in southern Ontario is in the market for a battery.

Yeh Thanks a lot Camos. In the end all you accomplished was setting me up for another POKE :stickpoke: by Marcarl :backinmyday: all because I failed to see the initial date.:bang head:
Sorry if you felt the poke was justified, personally, I don't think it was. As for it being an old thread... so what? The info you posted is still relevant and useful to those who are near Hamilton. The info I posted may also be of interest to anyone who is not near a retailer offering Deka's for a reasonable price.

On the other hand the info I posted in response still holds true RE: were and how much I paid for the decka battery last year (2013 to clarify). Worth looking into if anyone here in southern Ontario is in the market for a battery.
Hard for me to shield you from that unjustified poke. :no-no-no::stickpoke::no-no-no: Perhaps Marcarl will send you a :bighug: to make up for it.

Here is a rendition of your favourite riff to cheer you up. :guitarist 2:

Ohhhhh I see you don't know Saddlebum too well,,,, just you wait tell you meet him.:rotf::whistling:
You are right there, pretty sure I have not met him. Wasn't implying other pokes were not justified, just this one. Everyone is worthy of a hug, don't cha think?

You are right there, pretty sure I have not met him. Wasn't implying other pokes were not justified, just this one. Everyone is worthy of a hug, don't cha think?

Yep,,, everyone deserves a hug on occasion,,, but it's not like he don't get his,,, he gets his personally,, almost weekly,,,, so let's not overdo it or the girls will get jealous.

Yep,,, everyone deserves a hug on occasion,,, but it's not like he don't get his,,, he gets his personally,, almost weekly,,,, so let's not overdo it or the girls will get jealous.
Ahhhh now you know that aint gonna happen..l'm always willing to pass on a good hug on to any girl that may feel left out.:bighug:

Here is a rendition of your favourite riff to cheer you up. http://venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/guitarist%202.gif

Oh and thanks for the riff ---Much appreciated.:dancefool:

Edited by saddlebum

Ahhhh now you know that aint gonna happen..l'm always willing to pass on a good hug on to any girl that may feel left out.:bighug:

I think it best to leave that to those with more experience. When you get old enough, we'll let you know!,,,,,,,At least that's what my mother told me.

So you admit it........I'm not old after all but rather ....still a young man.

It the way of batteries,,,,, some are old and done at 3 years, some may go as long as 10 years and still have enough life to spark the engine,,,, like I said, we can let you know when the time is ripe.