IGNORED

Is there a solution to that 45 minute hose install?

Yanno, that one from the pickle thing to the airbox? Mine is hard and somewhat breaking at the top and as you know, it can take 45 minutes at times to get that hose on the bottom of the airbox.

So, just order another one from yammi, get hose from AutoZone that is a bit longer or is there another solution?

NEW ONE!!!!!

Best way to go. Mine had been replaced by the PO with what looked like fuel line. Old, brittle and hard as a rock.

11 inch needle nose pliers helped but it was still an ordeal to get on. The new OEM hose was a bit shorter and I extended it about 1 1/2 inchs to reach. Softer and slipped right on.

No more fight. Yea!

Mike

Sky Doc sells a mod on here (classified section) for a reasonable price. It gets rid of the breather hose from the twinkie to the air box and replaces it with a small metal filter element. It does a great job and I can remove and install the airbox in less than 5 minutes!

Here's a direct link to the classified ad: http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/2333/cat/6

When I remove my airbox, I pull the vent hose off the "twinkie" while the airbox is out. Before I pull the hose out though, I tie a piece of string to the bottom end of it and then lift the hose upwards out of the engine V, drawing the string along behind it through the nest of hoses etc.

To reassemble, I mount the hose to the airbox first and then use the string to pull the "twinkie" end of the hose back in through the nest of hoses in the V, as I lower the airbox into place.

This gets the free end of the hose back close to its spiggot on the "twinkie". With a bit of trial and error I can usually get it right on and since the old hose has some memory for the contour of the spiggot, it pops on with just a bit of poking and prodding from the sides with tools and fingers and only minimal cussing and skinned knuckles. I rather favour my old hose over a new one for this very reason.

Don't get me wrong, its not fun but its the easiest way I have found to do this puzzle.

I have to say that I am not in favour of the mod that does away with the hose to the "twinkie", on the basis that it only vents the crank case to atmosphere, whereas the hose to the airbox actually puts a vaccum on the crank case to draw out and burn combustible fumes. I have faith that the original designers of the engine knew what they were doing.

Thats how it goes at my place, hope this is of interest. Cheers,

Brian H.

Edited by 6m459
grammar

• 1 year later...

I have to say that I am not in favour of the mod that does away with the hose to the "twinkie", on the basis that it only vents the crank case to atmosphere, whereas the hose to the airbox actually puts a vaccum on the crank case to draw out and burn combustible fumes. I have faith that the original designers of the engine knew what they were doing. Brian H.

I've been thinking of doing the breather filter mod, but as posted above, I'm worried building up too much pressure in the crankcase and possibly causing leaks. Has anyone had problems after doing this mod? Any thoughts on whether or not this is a good idea?

Thanks. Briley.

Too be brutally honest there are two schools of thought on this mod. "Tree Hugger" or "Pave the Planet?.

The whole reason this mod came up I think was to find a way to eliminate that danged hose we all love and has created a boom in long nose pliers world and added some new words to our mechanical terminology.

The OEM set up only created a path for the crank case to be vented by a mild vacumn (from the intake though the carbs) to burn off what ever excess fumes would be in the case. Environmently speaking.....a good thing.

The "Breather Mod" only creates an outlet for the crankcase to vent under pressure. So the defense will say "what pressure?" There is no pressure created internally in the motor itself. So the vent only would be a vent to equalize the crank case.

Now if the motor was billowing fumes out in clouds of toxic gases.......that would be bad.

It don't. So adding the Breather Mod Filter is a matter of choice. No change in crankcase pressure to do damage so nothing to worry about there.

Flip a quarter. Your call.

:2cents:

Mike

Actually, and this is with all due respects to Skydoc, this is one mod I did to the bike last year that is not going back on. In fairness to Earl, I did not get my breather from him, but I think it functioned just the same.

My block is painted flat black, and as such shows any oil very easily. I see oil that is coming from this breather much more than I would like to on the block.

Yes the stock way is somewhat of a pain, but it does not port the oil out onto the motor.

Sorry Earl. :crying:

Gary

During the early eighties, "the powers that be" decided that no more vehicles would be allowed into the United States without "Positive Crankcase Ventilation". So away went the old road draft tube that pretty much every car on the planet had to vent exhaust gases from the crankcase. Motorcycle companies scrambled to "add" something to their motorcycles to allow them to be imported into the US. In the case of the Yamaha Venture Royale, a 15MM hose was connected directly from the crankcase to the Air Box.

Here's lies the rub. With each 35MM Mikuni Carb. pulling a velocity of 35.5MM per second, and having 4 of these Carbs. Vacuuming the crankcase,(142 MM per second Velocity) MANY VR owners were finding a few ounces of engine oil collecting in the air box.

If you were to place your finger over the vent tube to the crankcase, you would feel a very slight pressure build, if you left your finger on for a while. (and the engine was running) So my thinking was to allow this very slight pressure to escape the crankcase, and filter as much of the nasties as I could.

There is only one manufacturer that I would use to supply these high quality vent filters, they are in England, and they produce a Washable, reusable vent filter. There are a few "Knock-Offs" around, but this is not one of them. I have never seen smoke or fumes rolling from the vent filters of the 5 VR's I have owned.

Do I think this is the Ideal solution? Probably not. But I will say that I have seen more that one VR sucking raw oil into the Carbs., fouling plugs, gunking the Carbs. up, and blowing blue smoke out the tail pipes from excessive oil in the air box, so it is my opinion that this is an acceptable trade off. Filtered air being allowed to leave the crankcase and not travel to the air box where it causes all sorts of problems. This is why I offer this kit.

As with everything I sell in the Classifieds, YOU must choose to purchase it, and you must be OK with the consequences that the mod creates. If I can "get real" here for a moment, and ask this question, How much crankcase vent gas is leaking out of that 20 plus year old vent tube unfiltered, and how much unfiltered air is entering your Air Box from that same 20 plus year old vent tube, with the ends hard as a rock, with the splits and cracks down the sides, or even worse, with owners not even putting a spring clamp on the ends of the vent tube because it is such a "bugger" to install? When you look at it that way, the Crankcase Vent Mod, didn't seem to be such a bad idea to me compared to the stock 20 plus year old system.

Just my thoughts.:confused24:

Earl

Yanno, that one from the pickle thing to the airbox? Mine is hard and somewhat breaking at the top and as you know, it can take 45 minutes at times to get that hose on the bottom of the airbox.

So, just order another one from yammi, get hose from AutoZone that is a bit longer or is there another solution?

I bought a new one from Yamaha but that is the easy part. The hard part is getting it back on. So what I did was super glued the hose at the air box side. To assist with getting the hose properly routed in between the two rear carbs was I tied a strong piece of string to the bottom end of the hose, place the string through the carbs and with one hand pulling on the string while I am setting the airbox in place with the other it was surprisingly easy. The string pulls the hose right through the carbs. I then carefully reach in there with a sharp knife and cut the string from the bottom end of the hose and hook it up. Easy for me. Also in my opinion, if you were to use the air filter thingy rather than reinstalling the hose setup, you lose the vacuum effects that creates positive crankcase ventilation; a good thing for these motors when they were new and especially good for them now that they are pretty aged. Just my 2 cents.

The main problem with Crankcase's building up Pressure is the Design of the lower Portion of the Piston Sleeves.

There is almost no Room for creating a Window in which the Pump Action of the Pistons could equaled out. That leads to the very small Window which is there from Factory and this gets sealed when the Pistons are running on high RpM, this builts up Pressure in the Casing.

IF .....

The Oil Level is high !!! !!!

If you keep your Oil Level at the middle of the Sight Glass or even a tad lower than that, there's only minimum Pressure Builtup and the stock Engine Breather is up to the Job, even at extended full Throttle Runs. That's why a Lot of Vmax Folks mount a Oil Pan Extension, it allows to keep the Oil Level lower with actually more Oil in the System and having no Piston Pump Effect Loss gives you some 3 to 5 hp extra too ..

I just replaced the PCV hose (along with all the other hoses) on mine and I just used standard hose stock from Pep Boys. The trick is to clamp the hose on to the airbox first, then feed the hose down to the breather manifold and with a set of long reach pliers clamp the hose onto the Tee. Just don't forget to put the clamp on the hose first...

I used a soft rubber sleeve and cut the old pipe a little way down. It allows me to line it up and push the hose down. It seals better than it ever did before and is no trouble to re-fit.

I'm sure that there are better ways, but this was easy to do when I had it apart and I've had no reason to change it since.