IGNORED

Has anyone tried these?

I have read advertisements from them and the tread pattern seems to be ok IMO. However, I have not read any post here where someone is using a Shinko tire on a Venture. If I only had an extra rear rim, I may be tempted to give it a try for a few thousand miles. :cool17:

Im presently running a set of 230 tourmaster shinkos on my first gen. Cant speak of mileage as I just had tham installed. Only got 100 miles on them so far, but expierience as of now is that they handle well. Better than the previous metzlers in fact in my opinion.

Now you could probably get up with squidley as he has a set on his first gen with quite a bit more miles on his. Hope this helps as I am happy with mine for now.

David

I just put a Shinko on my KLR650. This was a first for a 'non-major brand' for me. Looks good and has good reviews. We shall see.

If you are getting 10,000 miles out of a D404, you are doing very well. I could never get more than 5000 miles and it usually ended up dying by blowing up while riding. I have gone to the Elite 3 and have been very happy.

If what I read was correct, Shinko bought the motorcycle tire designs from Tokohama Tire Co and has been around for a long time.

Please report on your perceptions of this tire. I, for one, would be very interested.

RR

I have a set on my previous '89 and have about 4K on them right now. I do like the tire, it sticks well, even in the rain and is decently quiet. If these tires will go 10K as far as miles I would say they are a great deal. I think enough of the that I put a set on my Electra Glide too. They make the Tour Masters in both 1st and 2nd gen sizes.

My Dunlop I only got about 7000km which I think is very poor. But I have hear fairly good reviews on the Dunlop Elite II or III's. I think I will try them next. :)

you must be running with the wrong air pressure... mine has over 19,000 km and there's still lots of tread left.

(or maybe you're doing burnouts?? :think:)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Shinko tires monday. Was able to get them Tues nite. Today Finally got the 100 mile breakin on them. Went st rd 135 here in ind. One of the best roads around here to ride. Really liked the way they handle. Could hold any line I wanted. Seem like the more I ride the better they get. for 150.00 If they last only one season. I still am saving a little bit. Do miss the look fo the white wall but wont miss cleaning them.

... Went st rd 135 here in ind. One of the best roads around here to ride. ...
Ok, gotta ask. 135 from where to where? I haven't been on it since last year, and I'm pretty much ready. :) It's getting close to time for a tenderloin at the 56 Cafe. And I have new tires that need broken in. Shame it's supposed to rain tomorrow...

you must be running with the wrong air pressure... mine has over 19,000 km and there's still lots of tread left.

(or maybe you're doing burnouts?? :think:)

Nope, check pressure religiously (and have never done a burnout). The first D404 blew up on me running thru West Virginia with just over 5000 miles on it. I had checked the pressure but never looked at the rear of the machine to check the tread (stupid of me, I know). It was replaced with another D404 (all that was in stock) that took me home. The very next trip, I had to change out that tire on the road due to wear almost to the cord. 4600 miles. They suck.

Put on an Elite3 and have been very happy. Will know by June what the mileage will look like. Should have 7 or 8 thousand miles on it by then.

RR

Update on the Shinko front tire, Tour Master 230. Mine is a 1988 Venture Royale. I've replaced the Shinko with a Dunlop Elite 3.

The Shinko did the job on the Venture. It worked just fine in the rain, on grooves, on metal-grate bridges, on curves. No problems whatsoever. Price was excellent. That's the good part.

The bad part: At 6,000 miles the tire had not much tread left for safe riding. Less than 1/16 of an inch left. No cupping, no unusual wear -- just wear.

I was hoping for 10,000 miles from that tire. It didn't come close to that. Had it met my expectations (and wishes), the Shinko would have been the best buy in tires.

Now I'm ready to try the Dunlop, which comes highly recommended by some on this forum. I'll report on it as I pile on the miles.

By the way, I ran 40 psi all the time, and checked the pressure at least once a week.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

The Shinko tread pattern looks alot like the Michelin Commanders or at least the fronts are close.

Just for the the record I like the D404's mainly because of the white walls but I do get about 10-12,000 miles on the rear and replaced them yearly. These were replaced with at least 1/16" tread left but was going on a road trip and was not about to push it.

The last twice as long as the rears.

Brad

I had 14000 on my 404's when I replaced them last June. Put on Mitchlin Commanders. 300 installed. I have heard talk of 2 different types of rubber in the 404's, one softer than the other, just what I have heard, no personal knowledge.

• 3 months later...

Got rid on the tour master 230 . This tire was junk from day one. Put the 404's back on some much better. No more loose feeling like it is on rails. Will not be getting those again.

Did only get about 6000 miles out of rear. Front tire has tons left.

Got rid on the tour master 230 . This tire was junk from day one. Put the 404's back on some much better. No more loose feeling like it is on rails. Will not be getting those again.

Did only get about 6000 miles out of rear. Front tire has tons left.

Just for me memory bank to keep, were you not happy with the tires performance of just the fact that they didn't last long? I agree with the short life, as my rear only had about 6500 miles on it, but did the handling aspect of yours not feel good, just curious is all?

I did'nt like the handling at all. Felt like the bike was going to slip right out from under you on the stright line. Now because the tires was so soft they cornered great. No slip or even a wiggle in the corners.

Thats a bummer, I never felt that on the set I had, but thats why there are so many different tires around. Not everyone rides the same way, best of luck with your Dunlops

:thumbsup2:

• 1 year later...

Put a Shinko 230 on the rear of my RSTD and I'm at 4860 on the tire now, maybe I can sqeak another 1000 out of it. The Shinko handled good, but just not a very long life. Just put on a Comander II on the front and have the rear waiting in the wings, hoping to put a spread in miles so I stop poping for a full set at the same time.:fingers-crossed-emo

Yea I know what you mean. I guess thats part of why I'm researching tires for the last few days. I really like the Dunlaps E-3 on it now and would really like to go back with them but I think the best price I have found so far has been in the $140-155 range for rears plus freight. Fronts somewhere like $130's I think Motorcycle superstore has had about the best prices I have seen on the Dunlaps. I had 404's on my last bike a 900 Kawi. I wouldnt put another set of them on for nothing. Still weighing options. But from the looks of things I dont think taking the rear tire off is anything I want to anymore than I have to. lol

I had a 2000 Venture with 86,000 and I now have 2003 Midnight Venture with 93,000.....Went from Dunlop to Metzlers [i ran 3 sets of Metzlers]...Have ran Avon Venoms for last 5 years and love them. 41 lbs. front and 43lbs. rear and I got 19,000 out of last rear tire and 23,000 out of front tire.....forget the good mileage they are by far the best riding and cornering tire for me. I run I-75 lots of my miles and have learned that when I get that I-75 flat spot in the center of the rear I find a nice big parking lot with new sharp black top and cut a nice 25 mph figure eight and run about 15 minutes with a good hard lean and it eliminates the edge! I found this trick about 10 years ago when I rode the Dragon for two days with a set of Metzler 880's that were about 3/4 worn and had I-75 flat spots when I started and were much better and the edge was gone for the trip home.