IGNORED

Gear Whine-Final Result-25 percent better.

Guest KitCarson

I have stated in other posts and will repeat that these v4's have a timing chain that can create some extra engine noise such as a whining sound to a sound of loose valves or sloppy crank shaft. That is one of the reasons many car engines have a timing belt and Honda Goldwings also have a timing belt because they quiet an engine significantly. I agree with all others that have participated on this post and I don't think the timing chain is the only culprit but plays a part in the symphony of sounds that comes from these engines that is inherent in the design. I also agree that the whines and chirps are enhanced by the windshield,upper,lower fairings. My 97 royalstar had very similar whines and chirps and sounded like a 350 chevy whine during deceleration but it was not as destinct as my 03 mdnt venture. As you all know a 97royal star has a windshield but no upper or lower fairing. Thanks Kit for your initial input to get the ball rolling and the great participation and informing responses from one and all.:clap2:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KitCarson
I bought my MRSV new in May of 06. I did hear a whine in the transmission from day One! I never heard the chirp or George Jetson car noise that everyone complains about. I dumped the oil at 500 miles and put in Shell Rotella Synthetic at that time. It did help the wine but, it is still there and I have gotten used to it. All my Harleys made noise too but the pipes covered most of it. When I had my Ultra with the fairing and lowers the cam chain noise was really bad and resonated off of them back to the rider. I now have 14,000 miles on my MRSV and it sounds the same. I have followed the posts on the I-basket change but, never felt as though this was the real problem, in my case anyway. Pulling in the clutch while riding takes pressure off the gears in the transmission and the whine does quiet down to a degree. Thanks for all your research Kit!

One more thing! I used to drive a 61 Vette with a 327 cu. in. with a 671 Blower with 2/4 bbls. so I know what whine means!..........HORSE POWER!

Dog

If you had the chirp you would know it.... it can be at times quite irritating at normal in town and secondary road, lazy day, enjoy the scenery type ride. I also do not believe the I -Basket is all of it. The transmission whine in these bikes is not really objectionable.......I maybe should never have even said anything about that.......I was a dummie and did not know the chirp and transmission sounds were two distinct different things at first.......so I continued to try to solve the situation in an improper manner. The by product of it all is I did find higher viscosity oils will calm the gear whine......and I also agree as the bike wears in the gear whine seems to get better, and very well may do this with 10w10 oil for all I know. I also enjoy the sound of power........such as in your car or the mustang I gave my son, even enjoy that in the bike.......the chirp though is not a power gear whine.......has a cricket sitting right under the carbs somewhere, sometimes it sits under the gas tank..........

I have wondered about the primary drive gear also folks.........I have not seen a proper I basket, but I am told the gear cut is different......but again I have been told lots of stuff.......some not quite informative.....Ha! I will attempt if the dealer I am going to see today authorizes one for me to ask them if I can take a photo of it and post it so everyone can see it up close.

I have one new basket in there........is not the right one........there is it seems only one way to get the honest, real......basket....yamaha has to authorize it.......build it, send it to the dealer for installation. So if you hear other things.........just be nice. and say Thank You and let it go out the other ear.

I can easily mask this chirp with the new pipes I have ordered.....but this is not really my intent at this point....a lot of people like the soft quiet sound of the stock pipes.....so I would like to have a proper I basket and see just how much change is realized. I like to hear the motor and pipes on a motorcycle....part of the fun of them.........whomever came up with the radio stuff did not have me in mind.......I like the outdoors.......the sound of the bike........do not want to ruin that with civilization........

Hey I am learning a lot.....how to make hold back wrenches out of a plumbers basket strainer wrench......how to cut off allen wrenchs to fit the lower clutch cover behind the exhaust........been thinking about buying a bug bomb and sitting that off under the gas tank:rotf::rotf:see there I go...I said I would behave.....Take Care Kit

my 86 Royale has the George Jetson sound! LOL Also has the whine, and it is LOUD.

Put in synthetic Amsoil gear lube and engine oil, and it helped just a little. Just got this a few months ago and will take apart the rear wheel/axle and driveshaft and lube all that after a couple more rides this month when the bike can be down for a while without me going nuts.

But if I can't solve the main problem (the noise is 100db at 60 mph, that is enough to cause hearing damage after a couple hours, so I wear musicians ear plugs when on longer rides) I will have to look into a different bike, and since the newer Star bikes all seem to have it, I will, sad to say, have to look into some other options! For sure I will take whatever I look at for as long a ride as possible to see how they do.

I love my Royale, and am considering a Royal Star Venture, but not if the whine and jetson sound are still built in.

The Pres of our chapter has one and he says his Royal Star is louder than mine. That is bad.

Went on a ride with my Son-In-Law and daughter and wife the other day. When my SIL was coming back from his "bike orientation ride" (he road the 89) I swore that I heard the chirp as he was coming back. I'm thinking that some of the VRs have the same problem but the clutch cover is just covered and hidden by all the plastic and the sound doesn't get out as well.

Also, while looking for a Virago, I came across and video clip on one of the ebay sale sites. Watched the video clip and as the guy pulled away down the street I heard a really loud chirp (same chirp) coming from that bike. Anyone have this problem with their Virago?

my 86 Royale has the George Jetson sound! LOL Also has the whine, and it is LOUD.

Put in synthetic Amsoil gear lube and engine oil, and it helped just a little. Just got this a few months ago and will take apart the rear wheel/axle and driveshaft and lube all that after a couple more rides this month when the bike can be down for a while without me going nuts.

But if I can't solve the main problem (the noise is 100db at 60 mph, that is enough to cause hearing damage after a couple hours, so I wear musicians ear plugs when on longer rides) I will have to look into a different bike, and since the newer Star bikes all seem to have it, I will, sad to say, have to look into some other options! For sure I will take whatever I look at for as long a ride as possible to see how they do.

I love my Royale, and am considering a Royal Star Venture, but not if the whine and jetson sound are still built in.

The Pres of our chapter has one and he says his Royal Star is louder than mine. That is bad.

Just a seat of the pants "Survey Says"

It seems to me all the Yamaha V4s have the chirp, (haven't really paid attention to the other engines) only about 10% are loud, and about half those become reasonably quiet with synthetic. The other 5% drive their owners crazy. If you really love the Royale you might try test driving the BMW K1200LT. It was really close for me between that and the RSV. And it is better handling at speed and closer to the style of the Royale.

In my opinion, the high pitched chirping sound is not really normal. Some are worse than others and depending upon how bad it is will determine if they decide to warranty it.

Freebird,

I should have let you ride mine at Vogel. If I had a Cricket I would have to find an exterminator!.....LOL. Personally I don't hear it in my bike at all. I will let Kbran ride it to see if I am somehow immune to that frequency of noise or something! Perhaps I just got a one-in-a-million bike....LOL.

Dog

I would have been happy to ride it for you. Actually, if it's the chirping that we are talking about, I wouldn't even have to ride it. You can hear it with the bike at idle. :)

I've had two '99 models and I've had no problem with either of them. I've never had a basket changed. Both had and have a bit of the whine but not a level that I consider unacceptable. I HAVE heard some that did though so know that they are not all the same.

OK....here is something else that we can debate. ) I received the following via private message. I told him to post it up but he preferred that I throw MYSELF in front of the bus. :)

So...without further comment at this time, I will just throw it out for your consumption.

Has anybody considered putting in some of the plane old light wgt " break in " no additives, no detergent, etc. that we all used to use back in the old days when we were told to " break in our new engines " by the manufactures.

And run this oil for a few hundred miles. Maybe the parts that are causing the noise would " wear in " better and the noise would go away. ????

I think the stuff is still sold, mostly as SAE-30 straight wgt oil for lawn mower engines. Maybe 10 or 20 wgt. would work better.

I am wondering if the new super lubricants that we are using now, are such good lubricants that these V-4's are simply not getting broke in correctly ??

Guest KitCarson
OK....here is something else that we can debate. ) I received the following via private message. I told him to post it up but he preferred that I throw MYSELF in front of the bus. :)

So...without further comment at this time, I will just throw it out for your consumption.

Has anybody considered putting in some of the plane old light wgt " break in " no additives, no detergent, etc. that we all used to use back in the old days when we were told to " break in our new engines " by the manufactures.

And run this oil for a few hundred miles. Maybe the parts that are causing the noise would " wear in " better and the noise would go away. ????

I think the stuff is still sold, mostly as SAE-30 straight wgt oil for lawn mower engines. Maybe 10 or 20 wgt. would work better.

I am wondering if the new super lubricants that we are using now, are such good lubricants that these V-4's are simply not getting broke in correctly ??

I am not afraid to stand in front of the bus, I usually do, life is much more fun that way!. Besides I love to mess with some of these guys, they are great fun and I think a little more intelligent than the average bear.

About the break in oil, you know........I noticed that with my new bike, for one thing the drain plug was in so tight I was wondering for a bit if it had left hand threads, it took a breaker bar to get it out. But I did notice the factory oil was of a strange consistency, and had a green tint to it. I do believe it was a lighter oil. I know my manual says the first service is to be at 600 miles, I never made it that far, I think I made it to about 200 miles and by the time I got to 600 I had tried just about all of them. So a lighter oil ran a little longer may very well help, and yes with all this new technology, and super oils, they do really protect the engine, but it is the main drive gears we are concerned about with the chirp.

The gear whine in my bike has gotten better, and yes it is past the break in, so was it just normal wear in, or was it the 20w50 I finally settled on that quieted it down. Do not know that answer. I also know some of the dealers are now using and recommending the 20w50. Shhhhhhhh, do not tell anyone that!! But have picked up on that hint lately.

So I will have to again just use common sense and say I do not think the chirp is related to the gears. Gear whine is gear whine, it is a totally different sound than the chirp. Ever hear an old wagon wheel squeak as it is pulled along? It is not a steady constant sound........it is intermentient. (how ya spell that anyhaw!!) That is like the chirp these bikes have, it is almost like an out of balance wheel......the chirp sounds off when the wheel comes to that point. So standing in front of the bus, I say the chirp is not related to the gears. The gear whine is and actually the gear whine is not a bad sound and seems to diminish during break in, this chirp is something else.

You know there is this spacer or thrust washer between the rear main basket and the front part of the whatever you call it........then the main nut and retainer ring hold that all together and then your plates and discs go on to that........six bolts hold all that in....I have been suspicious for some time now it is related to that thrust washer. Also with out fail, my bike and those who know how to explain it....when you pull in the clutch the chirp instantly stops............fellows all this machinery is still rotating even with the clutch pulled in. Hmmmmmmm? I am quite suspicious it is not the gearing.....some I basket solutions do not work........some do.....what are we not being told? I asked if I could watch, if I could take photos of the I basket.......they are reluctant for me to do this.......that Kit is up to something:rotf::rotf:. Food for thought.......think about it. Take Care Kit.

Addition: I have found talking to these guys to not leave stuff out!! By still rotating with the clutch pulled in or disengaged I mean, when at speed......on the road....pull in the clutch, things do not instantly disengage.

I am not afraid to stand in front of the bus, I usually do, life is much more fun that way!. Besides I love to mess with some of these guys, they are great fun and I think a little more intelligent than the average bear.

About the break in oil, you know........I noticed that with my new bike, for one thing the drain plug was in so tight I was wondering for a bit if it had left hand threads, it took a breaker bar to get it out. But I did notice the factory oil was of a strange consistency, and had a green tint to it. I do believe it was a lighter oil. I know my manual says the first service is to be at 600 miles, I never made it that far, I think I made it to about 200 miles and by the time I got to 600 I had tried just about all of them. So a lighter oil ran a little longer may very well help, and yes with all this new technology, and super oils, they do really protect the engine, but it is the main drive gears we are concerned about with the chirp.

The gear whine in my bike has gotten better, and yes it is past the break in, so was it just normal wear in, or was it the 20w50 I finally settled on that quieted it down. Do not know that answer. I also know some of the dealers are now using and recommending the 20w50. Shhhhhhhh, do not tell anyone that!! But have picked up on that hint lately.

So I will have to again just use common sense and say I do not think the chirp is related to the gears. Gear whine is gear whine, it is a totally different sound than the chirp. Ever hear an old wagon wheel squeak as it is pulled along? It is not a steady constant sound........it is intermentient. (how ya spell that anyhaw!!) That is like the chirp these bikes have, it is almost like an out of balance wheel......the chirp sounds off when the wheel comes to that point. So standing in front of the bus, I say the chirp is not related to the gears. The gear whine is and actually the gear whine is not a bad sound and seems to diminish during break in, this chirp is something else.

You know there is this spacer or thrust washer between the rear main basket and the front part of the whatever you call it........then the main nut and retainer ring hold that all together and then your plates and discs go on to that........six bolts hold all that in....I have been suspicious for some time now it is related to that thrust washer. Also with out fail, my bike and those who know how to explain it....when you pull in the clutch the chirp instantly stops............fellows all this machinery is still rotating even with the clutch pulled in. Hmmmmmmm? I am quite suspicious it is not the gearing.....some I basket solutions do not work........some do.....what are we not being told? I asked if I could watch, if I could take photos of the I basket.......they are reluctant for me to do this.......that Kit is up to something:rotf::rotf:. Food for thought.......think about it. Take Care Kit.

Addition: I have found talking to these guys to not leave stuff out!! By still rotating with the clutch pulled in or disengaged I mean, when at speed......on the road....pull in the clutch, things do not instantly disengage.

So with the clutch pulled the chirp stops, but then the pressure on the primary gear is also released and therefore it may run quieter. In my non-professional opinion I think the gears behind the clutch are causing a vibration which is then picked up by the basket and amplified by the fingers of the basket. Either we change the gears or fix the basket so it can no longer amplify sound.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've had lunch and now going for supper.

Guest KitCarson
So with the clutch pulled the chirp stops, but then the pressure on the primary gear is also released and therefore it may run quieter. In my non-professional opinion I think the gears behind the clutch are causing a vibration which is then picked up by the basket and amplified by the fingers of the basket. Either we change the gears or fix the basket so it can no longer amplify sound.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've had lunch and now going for supper.

Hi Carl:

I am no professional mechanic either.....just that I am very mechanical, I can do anything with tools , whether to is in my trade or something else, mechanical is mechanical, all I really need to know about a bike is the torque specs for certain things, and I am most likely more curious than anyone you have ever met about how things work. And I am not afraid to take something apart either........if I have parts left over, I just hide them.:rotf::rotf:. Actually told a customer that last week! Price Phister(which is a brand name faucet) has a generic fix it kit that has parts in it for more than one model......the extra parts were lying on the counter top, she wanted to know what those were for, I told her, you know , I really do not know, I could not find anywhere to put them.......I do not think you need them anyway!! :stirthepot::stirthepot:

So last night I finally did come up with a service manual for this bike, and some blown up prints of the clutch assembly, basket and clutch boss, all of it.

Therefore........what I was trying to say is on all these bikes with the chirp, when you pull in the clutch it does stop. Mine does.......and everyone who has talked to me about it......says the same thing. That clutch basket mates with the main drive gear, has the thrust bearing in the middle and the boss is secured on top of this.......when we had mine apart. there was no play in these things.........no wobble........I did leave some stuff out.......Cayce is no dummie.........he did have this gauge he uses on a metal lathe.....and held it by hand on the front of the basket and had me turn it(with the rear wheel) so no wobble.......everything seems to fit right, to be close tolerance. All the research I have done on these cut gears require close tolerance.....and polishing to quiet them.......that seems to be already there.

The chirp the best way I can describe it is not a steady constant hum or whine........like gears are.......the chirp sound does go up and down with the speed of the motor.......but also you can quite distinctly hear it vary in consistency . It would be like a squeaking bicycle wheel, that squeaks each time the rough part of the bearing cycles to that point. It is like a low volume machine gun sound........only subdued to cricket high pitched chirps. This is why I do not think it is the gears. I have been wrong before.....lots of times........this is the way I learn........do it wrong the first time!!

Looked at the clutch basket we took out again.......no no room to cut a groove outside or in.......tolerances are pretty close....cut it deep enough you would weaken it........as for balance that could easily be done.....rig up a template.....put it on the lathe........cut the groove and balance it by drilling holes.........but just see no room and would weaken the assembly....need new idea!!

I do agree......1000 percent........whatever the chirp is........it is greatly magnified by the basket and the mating fingers that extend to the clutch boss........the sound also hits the whole assembly cover plate and resonates some more. Hey you know I did take regular home insulation, you know the kind you use in the walls(do not use any kind of rubber stuff-might melt on the motor and make a mess) and stuff it around the cover plate and up between the motor and exhaust.......and it muffles it a lot.......so no question.........the cricket lives in the clutch assembly!!

As for exactly what or where......I am still thinking about it.......someone will come up with it...will be so simply it will make us all look at the ground in shame!! See some so called I basket changes result in complete silence........some do not........I am also not standing beside their bikes to hear if they are actually talking about the gear whine or the chirp.....personally I think those who state the whine went to another sound........are 100 percent right.....gears do this......change the gear a bit and the sound will change at a different rpm........change period.......mine did....even with the wrong OEM basket(oh by the way......Bass Pro shops sells an wire threader device for threading slip shot sinkers onto fishing line-would work great for the stupid wire thing on the last disc) Exactly what the chirp is.........NO one can explain it......not me...not the dealer,not yamaha(I think they know-those engineers are not dumb-not by any means) So for my also non professional input........do not think it is the gears. We will soon see......my bike is slated to be serviced and worked on by some very nice people.......and professional with more than one of these situations under their belt..........they are close lipped though........I asked if I could take a photo of the new I basket.....and observe the repair and take photos.......told them the truth........I want to post it all on this site, photos and all. They are not cooperative on this point.......so like I say....it is something so simple...........it is going to make us all ashamed when we find out.

Kit

Oh I want to say something to those whom I have seen post and wonder why we gripe so much about our venture. You have to understand we are not really griping.........everyone who loves motorcycles would be dead if they did not love this machine once they have ridden it. Sure we have a chirp situation, but from my perspective,,it is kinda fun, to wonder about,,,,,,to discuss, to try to figure out, so no we are not griping.....shoot if I do not get it cured in a couple months, time for loud pipes and more fun on those mountain roads!! As for the cassette tape stuff .....hey I am old school, I bought my venture for its comfort and high performance, not some stupid radio or tape deck . Which in my limited opinion has no place on a bike anyway........I have rode bikes so long, I can hear the tires of a car half a block behind me locking them up.......I watch front tires.........I can hear the cage motor start to rev.......I want to be able to hear these things, and yes I can hear them with loud pipes........do not care for the radio stuff..........No we are not griping........the venture is a wonderful machine, if we did not like it we would sell it and go back to changing head gaskets on Harleys........did learn with them to use a tide soap box, a ball peen hammer and contact cement..........tap that soap box on the head lightly.....cuts a new gasket. Fill er up with RTV......bolt her down.

No not really........just teasing......maybe......could be true.......tide boxes are better than fab!!

OK , i am goin to stick my nose in , the 1st gens and v maxs don't have this problem , why not ? what is the dif. ? and why can't you change the clutch basket out with a 1st gen , beside the part # i would like to see what the change that was made between the 2 , also how about a newer v max ???? :detective::detective::detective::detective:

OK , i am goin to stick my nose in , the 1st gens and v maxs don't have this problem , why not ? what is the dif. ? and why can't you change the clutch basket out with a 1st gen , beside the part # i would like to see what the change that was made between the 2 , also how about a newer v max ???? :detective::detective::detective::detective:

Baskets of a 2006 Vmax and a 2007 Venture are the same Partsnumber

Guest KitCarson
See, now you are getting the idea!!! Keep thinking, it will be so simple when the solution is finally realized. Thanks, I was unaware of this .......will check the part numbers today. Kit

Guest KitCarson

Whoa......almost forgot.......you cannot change the clutch basket out of a 2nd Generation with a First Generation.......everyone knows the 2nd Gen will outrun the 1st Gen......no would not want to slow Cricket down.:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Whoa......almost forgot.......you cannot change the clutch basket out of a 2nd Generation with a First Generation.......everyone knows the 2nd Gen will outrun the 1st Gen......no would not want to slow Cricket down.:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Now my mother told me that running at the mouth is not quite the same as running on the road, so be careful little lips what you say (or fingers what you type).

Guest KitCarson
1993 Venture Part-# is 26H-16150-00-00

the 2006 Vmax and Venture is 26H-16150-10-00

This Parts stayed overall the same, the -10-00 is the sign of a Revison

I am told the revision is the change in the cut of the gears....I am also told the I basket has been again cut somewhat different......exactly how.......hmm.....might not be the actual gear drive, might be the gears that mate with the clutch boss.....have been told a lot of things........do not have any facts on any of this stuff yet.........getting more and more curious.

See you.....Take Care.........off to eat Breakfast......hunt up my old leather jacket......weather is cool enough to wear it now....of for a jaunt . Kit

....everyone knows the 2nd Gen will outrun the 1st Gen.........:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

EVERYONE ..... well .... almost :080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

bring Cricket over here, we have lots of unlimited Autobahn to test ride .... i bring my 1Gen

But, me thinks, you will find a Lot of Tears running down you Cheeks afterwards or i will be drowned .....

by a Tsunami of Excuses

I WOULD LIKE TO PUT MY .02 WORTH IN HERE TOO.

THIS MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE, BUT IF IT WERE YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE CHIRP. SYNCRONIZE A STROBE LIGHT TO THE SOUND OF THE CHIRP, MUCH THE WHY A TIMING LIGHT WORKS, BUT WUTH A DIFFERENT TRIGGER. CUT HOLES IN THE CASE AND COVER WITH CLEAR PLASTIC (THIS PART REQUIRES GENEROUS DONOR BIKE). START IT UP AND YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE CHIRP BECAUSE THE STROBE WOULD FIRE EVERY TIME IT CHIRPED.

I CERTAINLY DON'T HAVE THE EXPERTICE TO ACCOMPLISH THIS, AND I DON'T THINK IT IS EVEN PRACTICLE, BUT WOULD WITH SUFFICIENT TECHNOLOGY LET YOU SEE IT...MIGHT LEAD TO A CURE.

SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS, BUT TYPING WITH ONE HAND.:080402gudl_prv:

Guest KitCarson
I WOULD LIKE TO PUT MY .02 WORTH IN HERE TOO.

THIS MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE, BUT IF IT WERE YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE CHIRP. SYNCRONIZE A STROBE LIGHT TO THE SOUND OF THE CHIRP, MUCH THE WHY A TIMING LIGHT WORKS, BUT WUTH A DIFFERENT TRIGGER. CUT HOLES IN THE CASE AND COVER WITH CLEAR PLASTIC (THIS PART REQUIRES GENEROUS DONOR BIKE). START IT UP AND YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE CHIRP BECAUSE THE STROBE WOULD FIRE EVERY TIME IT CHIRPED.

I CERTAINLY DON'T HAVE THE EXPERTICE TO ACCOMPLISH THIS, AND I DON'T THINK IT IS EVEN PRACTICLE, BUT WOULD WITH SUFFICIENT TECHNOLOGY LET YOU SEE IT...MIGHT LEAD TO A CURE.

SORRY ABOUT ALL CAPS, BUT TYPING WITH ONE HAND.:080402gudl_prv:

Hi Orrin: Actually there is not a lot of oil in the clutch assembly, as a matter of fact if the motor is not running and you put the bike on the side stand......you can take the whole assembly out without worry about oil. Running.......it would try to fly around some........but one could run it for a short time , maybe put a shroud, cover......shield , something over the top of the clutch housing to keep oil off the motor.....yep you could do that. Hey thing is all ideas are good ones.....no such thing as a bad one.....they all keep the wheels turning. Rigging up a strobe though like to the ignition timing is quite different........I also do not think I would be qualified to attempt this........As a matter of fact I am tone deaf........I have trouble playing the radio:rotf::rotf:. Some rock star or DJ might know how to do this.........Ride Safe........keep thinking...........Kit

Guest KitCarson
i seem to be hearing my whine the more i ride or the more i read about it...not sure which though.
It does vary from bike to bike......and I think some people have turned it out...or if you ride with a full helmet it tunes it out more. I live in South Carolina and a full helmet and jacket and all that stuff ....yea I know it is safety.......but at noon or so if you have on a full helmet and jacket down here in the summer you have to stop on occasion and empty the water out of your boots. I met one of the members on this site yesterday......went for a short ride.....they did not hear it at first.....mainly as I was a dummie and rode on the wrong side at first...light bulb came on and I put them on clutch cover side, lot of traffic,think for a short time I hit the right low rpm in 4th, Cricket started chirping pretty good. So it is hard to tell on some bikes.......the member I rode with has it a small amount.......it is not bad......not at all....but it is there..but not enough to bother anyone with a full helmet and at speed I assume it goes away totally. So it does vary, some bikes have very little of this.......some have more........and the more aware you become of something......the more you think about it......tis the way of the curious mind. Take Care Kit

It does vary from bike to bike......and I think some people have turned it out...or if you ride with a full helmet it tunes it out more. I live in South Carolina and a full helmet and jacket and all that stuff ....yea I know it is safety.......but at noon or so if you have on a full helmet and jacket down here in the summer you have to stop on occasion and empty the water out of your boots. I met one of the members on this site yesterday......went for a short ride.....they did not hear it at first.....mainly as I was a dummie and rode on the wrong side at first...light bulb came on and I put them on clutch cover side, lot of traffic,think for a short time I hit the right low rpm in 4th, Cricket started chirping pretty good. So it is hard to tell on some bikes.......the member I rode with has it a small amount.......it is not bad......not at all....but it is there..but not enough to bother anyone with a full helmet and at speed I assume it goes away totally. So it does vary, some bikes have very little of this.......some have more........and the more aware you become of something......the more you think about it......tis the way of the curious mind. Take Care Kit

Hey Kit

It was nice meeting you yesterday. Yeppers your bike does have more "Cricket" than mine. By the way, my clutch basket is original '05', bought back in Nov 04, so I do not believe they made the "I" basket back then.

One thing I did notice after parting from you, if I am in the lower speed of a gear, the noise is there, which tells me to downshift, when I did this, noise disappeared.

By the way are you riding anywhere today, Bobbie is finally making the "Bearrocks" this morning, yesterday, when we got home the dough was baked. She had the wrong setting on. :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: So even a good "Mechanic" gets it wrong once in awhile. :whistling: