IGNORED

Wisconsin to Bike Week via the RSV

Scooter Bob

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went to madison wi. this morning, and back this afternoon and the north south roads still had alot of crap/drifting across them.

be sure to get to the high traveled roads, cuz the black tops sucked in the pickup today.

the few 4 lanes that i traveled today were ok.

mike

MADISON WI.----DIXON IL.

Suns :sun:coming up just super this morning, not much wind, just a little on the cold side. :cold:It's 6 degrees right now, so I'll have to dump in a few of those chemical heat packs right away and hope they work good. :think:

Gonna have to wait a little bit for the ice to melt off these side streets, or else I might scoop a bunch of sand out of the grandkids sandbox and spread it on the road for a half a block.:whistling:

Karen says I have to go today. We're out of the milk and OJ that I drink, so OUT OF HERE she says.:stickpoke:

Later, Scooter Bob

:Venture:

Balmy 11 degrees this AM up to 17 by 8:30 Almost feel like riding in my shorts!

Got the bike ready last night, even shined up the exhaust that was cruddy from the last ride this winter when the roads were wet.

Will meet up with Bob at El Paso probably, just north of Bloomington about noon. Will report back how things are going, try to post a picture if I remember to take one, and if I can quit shaking long enough! :yikes:

We woke up this morning and the sun was out. Guess the trip has begun although Scooter has been dreaming about it for weeks now. :draming: Just got off the phone with him. Scooter left this morning at 8:15 headed for Florida. I can't figure out how he thinks he is dressed warm enough :superman:but he said so far only his finger tips are cold. Just outside of Fox Lake, he ran into icy road conditions:snow: and said it was extremely slow going until he reached highway 151. We didn't have enough sand in the sandbox to help him out for that many miles. He has realized a few very funny things already on this trip. He can't smoke his cigarette with his snowmobile helmet on which wasn't sooo terribly bad but he also realized that he can't drink his coffee without a straw either. :97:

Scooter will be posting his trip but you may hear from me on here too...I already miss him :173:. Be safe dear heart and keep the rubber side down. Your guardian angels sits on your shoulder. :2132: Remember...Free and easy down the road I go. :Venture:

My thanks goes out to all of you who are following this thread and have contacted Scooter to meet or offer safe trip wishes.

Now the only thing Scooter needs is a new target for the scavenger hunt while he is traveling. Any takers out there? Give Scooter a challenge:think:

Til later,

Karen

We woke up this morning and the sun was out. Guess the trip has begun although Scooter has been dreaming about it for weeks now. :draming: Just got off the phone with him. Scooter left this morning at 8:15 headed for Florida. I can't figure out how he thinks he is dressed warm enough :superman:but he said so far only his finger tips are cold. Just outside of Fox Lake, he ran into icy road conditions:snow: and said it was extremely slow going until he reached highway 151. We didn't have enough sand in the sandbox to help him out for that many miles. He has realized a few very funny things already on this trip. He can't smoke his cigarette with his snowmobile helmet on which wasn't sooo terribly bad but he also realized that he can't drink his coffee without a straw either. :97:

Scooter will be posting his trip but you may hear from me on here too...I already miss him :173:. Be safe dear heart and keep the rubber side down. Your guardian angels sits on your shoulder. :2132: Remember...Free and easy down the road I go. :Venture:

My thanks goes out to all of you who are following this thread and have contacted Scooter to meet or offer safe trip wishes.

Now the only thing Scooter needs is a new target for the scavenger hunt while he is traveling. Any takers out there? Give Scooter a challenge:think:

Til later,

Karen

Might be a challenge just finding Bogalusa, La.:rotf: I'm looking forward to seeing him and praying for a safe trip.

I am layering up in anticipation of meeting up soon north of Bloomington.

I will report back, will ride with him for a short while then turn back like the chicken that I am! :)

Aw, make it worth your while and dip on down to Louisiana with him :whistling:

Met up with Bob in El Paso (IL) about 1pm and he was doing well. I brought over some allen wrenches so he could tighten up a cover he though was leaking some oil. Hope it worked.

We had lunch at that exotic restaurant, McDonalds, and even had Ronald McDonald (REALLY!, all in costume and everything) stop by and talk about Wisconsin for some time. Ronny has a daughter that will be teaching in Madison soon. Maybe at clown college? hahahahahaha...... I kill me.:rotfl:

After I fumbled with my heated glove wires for too long, we took off down I-39 to Bloomington and I peeled off on I-74 West while Bob waved, and zoomed on to I-74 East. He is probably going to get somewhere near Effingham before dark and should have a great day tomorrow, getting progressively warmer. Was in the 20's today, but sunny. Should be mid to upper 30's Friday. A heat wave.

This was my first ride in about 2 months, and I LOVED it.!

Don Mallinson

We had lunch at that exotic restaurant, McDonalds, and even had Ronald McDonald (REALLY!, all in costume and everything) stop by and talk about Wisconsin for some time. Ronny has a daughter that will be teaching in Madison soon. Maybe at clown college?

Don Mallinson

It actually might be. Barrabo, WI is claimed to be 'Circus Town USA' and is just northwest of Madison.

Glad to hear Bob made it down to you. It was kind of (d)icey yesterday. Thanks for the report.

RR

460 miles south, there's almost no snow, and everyone talks with an accent!:confused24::stickpoke:

I made it to Mt Vernon, IL. I've got a cheap motel with WIFI and breakfast tomorrow. My favorite Mushroom and Swiss from Hardees is right across the parking lot, and I found a 6 pack. :beersign:Life is good.

It was great to have another bike to ride with for a bit, hiway was pretty lonely otherwise. Had a couple Hardley riders rubbernecking as they went by with bikes in tow:mytruck:(probably headed the same place I am).

Had a nice lunch with Don, and thanks for the wrenches. I think that took care of it. :thumbsup2:(started seeping oil out of the cam cover left rear, guess it doesn't like startin up at 8 degrees out. snugged up the bolts 1 flat)

Later, Scooter Bob

PS Karen, Thanks for all the help and support, I love you and miss you.:173:

Tire made it in:thumbsup2:

Oh ya, that's right,:think: I left a day late, it is Thusday already:bang head:. Guess I don't have to track it and see if I can catch up with it. :whistling:

If I can do anywhere close to what I did today for miles and time, should get there plenty early Saturday afternoon.

Thanks, Scooter Bob

Bob, Really impressed you made it all the way to Mt. Vernon, you must have twisted the throttle nicely! I forgot to ask you what speed you were comfortable with when we took off and you said for me to take point for that short stretch, so I just set it at 65 and hoped you were OK. Wasn't going to be too long so if it was slow, you could get going again quick!

Have a great trip, I do wish I could have just kept going with you, but I am fighting insurance companies and dealerships over getting my car fixed after an accident that wasn't my fault. That was the call I took while we were getting ready to go. My car got crunched, other driver 100% at fault, and the INS co's (both mine...State Farm, and theirs, Economy) make it sound like I am the bad guy for wanting my car to be fixed to a state as close as possible to what it was before. But that will never happen. Anyway, I will be doing battle tomorrow while you get in some two-wheel miles!

Safe trip, I enjoyed meeting up with you!

Bob, Really impressed you made it all the way to Mt. Vernon, you must have twisted the throttle nicely! I forgot to ask you what speed you were comfortable with when we took off and you said for me to take point for that short stretch, so I just set it at 65 and hoped you were OK. Wasn't going to be too long so if it was slow, you could get going again quick!

I kept it around 70 most of the time, just didn't stop much. After I left you, I stopped once in Matoon for fuel and a phone call to my honey, and next thing I knew, I'm less than a hundred miles from MO line.

Thanks again for the making the impromtu central IL meet and eat. That was a nice visit, and a nice break.

Later, Scooter Bob

the superman statue in metropolis

:scratchchin: I wonder if he could FLY me and bike to Loozeaner?:whistling:

It's 18 degrees and sunny again this morning. I should be on the road a little after 7. Looks like I'll be stripping clothes off by the time I get to Memphis, supposed to be 50 there today. HEAT WAVE

Later, Scooter Bob

:scratchchin: I wonder if he could FLY me and bike to Loozeaner?:whistling:

It's 18 degrees and sunny again this morning. I should be on the road a little after 7. Looks like I'll be stripping clothes off by the time I get to Memphis, supposed to be 50 there today. HEAT WAVE

Later, Scooter Bob

It's only gonna get warmer, be safe Bob and we'll see you in Bogalusa

:banana:

:whistling:Just to prove to any skeptics that this thread is real, and not some giant Practical Joke dreamed up by some snowbound Cheeshead,:stickpoke: here's a pic of my bike in front of the statue in Metropolis, IL. (since Don and I both forgot to take a pic of the M&E yesterday)

Thanks for the target Mike. Nice area down there once you get off the big road.

Sorry Karen, It's all Garmin's fault, she set the route from superman to Jackson. Wound up on some of the same roads we were on last summer. I know, shame on me, never the same road twice...:sign13:

Later, Scooter Bob

I for one never doubted your ride to Fla., but I did have some reservation as to your sanity. I can't do much of the cold and snow anymore (age thing), but in the past I have ridden in both. Good luck and fair weather to you and keep the reports coming in. I have the heat on in my garage so I can do some work and there is another week of this weather here in Gaston Co., NC.

:farmer: