IGNORED

Help with Detroit, Mich. Please

BuckShot

Have to take my daughter to Detroit Sat. morning.

Viewing a thing about a Veterinary grad. college that is in St. Kits (?)

She has been accepted at this one and is waiting on a couple more.

Better than the 4 wait lists she was put on last year.

I have map quested this place and have a gps, but I was wondering is it is in a decent area, etc. Has anyone heard of this place.

Thanks in advance.

The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

1114 Washington Blvd.

Detroit, MI.

Ive only beent there once, but when I put the address into Google Earth , it comes up about 5 blocks directly behind the Joe louis Arena, i dont know exactly how good that immediate area is but I do know when you come over the bridge from Windsor Ont. into that end of Detroit it looks like a ruff area with all the empty buidlings and stuff.

I dont want to make you worried but I do want you to have facts so I hope someone else chimes in who knows the area better than me.

One of the guys I work with has been taking his daughter all over as well checking out Vet colleges. Last week I think he was in Palm Springs, and Philadelphia and waterloo ont.

Good luck, i hope she gets in where she wants (ps try Saint Kitts just a bit south east of Puerto Rico)

Brian

Edited by friesman

It's downtown Detroit Gil....

I dont want to alarm you, but thats not a great area. Granted it's patrolled heavily there as thats the city center with the riverfront a couple of blocks away. Will this be where she is going to school at, or is she going to be living there.

If you want to chat give me a call on my cell and I'll discuss things in private with you :happy34:

for what it's worth, i haven't been to that school, but been down to the joe many times. I personally wouldn't want to walk around down there after dark. Didn't feel real good walking around there in the light, either. just my 2 cents.

Parents have to protect their kids even if it the only Vet School accepting them. Stay home and Stay Safe until something better opens up. There are some excellent "COUNTRY" vets that would welcome an Intern and Hands On is Priceless$. I hate driving within 100 miles of Detroit or any Large City... Good Luck to you and your daughter :):snow2:

Thanks guys===No not going to school in detroit. Just going to view a presentation about a vet school on Saint Kitts. ( some kind of island, tropical weather and all that stuff.) I wouldn't let her go to a school in downtown detroit anyway. Don't care if she has wanted to be a vet sence age 12 or not.

Last year wait list for

Ohio state

Mich univ. (?)

California somewhere or something

Reapplied to Ohio state for masters in science ( after 1 yr, switch to vet program and an automatic in.

Detroit is pretty much like any other big city. Too many one way streets to find your way around (NAV system should take care of that), too much crime. The really bad areas aren't right downtown. Probably the worst you'd run into is panhandlers.

If you're out and about keep your wallet in your front pocket and have the women keep their purses tucked under their arms rather than hanging by the strap.

When driving keep the doors locked.

Don't go wandering around unless you're with someone that knows the area, especially after dark.

Thanks everyone--I called Squid and talked with him. He said its downtown but we will not have to drive side streets, just expressway.

He said not the best area,but we are just going to a presentation about a vet school on Saint Kitts, She has two classmate's taking classes on Saint Kitts now. She would really like Ohio State or a school in Canada somewhere that another classmate is attending.

She is really hoping one of them will call. If they do, I just lose a 1,000.00 deposit.

I've lived in Chicago, San Diego, LA/Long Beach, Detroit and now Jacksonville. I would trust downtown Detroit before any of the other down towns, but that doesn't mean it is safe. Joe Louis area should be OK during the day or anytime a big event is going on.

That is one of the best areas of downtown Detroit at Washington and Michigan Avenues, just don't walk around at night. You won't have any problems there and a lot of unique places to eat. The famous American Cony Island and Lafayette cony islands are only a block or two away.

Safe Ft Collins, CO, as part of the University of Colorado. I know personally several horse owners in UT that trailer their horses here for better health care, etc. Give her a shot at this lovely school. We have a good and safe community, and the university is huge, and a big part of the Vet school sits to the west of town on a huge plot of town, just by our Rams Stadium.

Just my two cents, ... and I would rather see your daughter anywhere except in that school in Michigan. My son is an 18 wheeler and he NEVER delivers downtown. All that said, contrats to her at being accepted. No idea what her chances would be here. My thoughts: worth looking into.

JackZ