IGNORED

Where to get V-Max rear end for 2nd gen?

big mike

I'm considering doing the V-Max rear end swap since I will be pulling a trailer on trips. Is there a place that is recommended for getting one of these? And is there a group of years that fit a 99 Venture? Also is this a great improvement over a stock rear end? Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions>

Big Mike

I appreciate that info Cougar. I thought I had seen something to do with this on the site, but couldn't find it. Thanks for the help.:clap2: May have to wait another year for this mod unless I can scrape up a little more cash to throw at the scoot. Running a little short on cash for the scoot since all my recent purchases. We'll see, and you guys are always the first to know when I do!

Big Mike

Mike,

Look for rearend on ebay, also look for the FJR1300 rearend as it is the same gearing as the Vmax. I picked one up on ebay for $80 shipped to the house, I was going to put it in the '89 but now will install it in my '99 I just recieved. There was a banner up top for a swap through a place in West Virginia I believe.

Squidley, is there a way to add your info you just posted to the bottem of Don's write-up as another alternitve rear end swap >?

I never knew that , great info!

Jeff

I can do that, I wasn't aware that it wasn't in there. What I'll do 1st is absolutely confirm that it indeed will work. I just recently hear of it myself and the pig is identical (Visually) to 1st and 2nd gens.

What is the advantage of this?

It will give you more useable power out of the hole. This is nice when your fully loaded and pulling a trailer. This V4 doesn't make it's power till over 3K and then it really goes like hell, it's a bit of a dog right out of the gate till the r's are up to speed.

Does this one have the speedo pickup hole already in it?

No it doesn't, I was actually going to change the ring and pinion out into the G2 casing. You'd have to do the same thing with the V max as it doesn't have that hole either. That or have the other rearends machined and you need to remove the gears for that anyhow

:confused24:

Squid, I thought that if you paid the full price from the vender he did have the hole installed in the vmax rear-end correct?

It's something like that, what I believe he does is swaps out the gears from 1 pig to another. He sells the vmax guys taller gears so they have more highway driveablity and the shorter gears to us for better pulling performance. I dont know that he actually machines the individual pigs as thats not really cost effective for him. Remember this is just my thinking, which sometimes has been pointed out to be flawed :whistling:

I currently have 2 VMAX Final Drives and have been wanting to modify one with the speedo hole for the Second Gens. I am willing to do the Machine work for FREE if a Second Gen. Owner will bring their bike to my shop, or send their final drive to me so I can measure the placement of the speedo hole. I will then machine the hole in this VMAX Final Drive I have and sell it to the owner for just the cost of the VMAX Final Drive. (Approx. $150.00) These units go for over $300.00 exchange so if some Second Genner is interested, I will give them a heck of a deal if they will work with me on this.:confused24:

If you are interested, PM me.

Earl

I actually have a stock final drive sitting on my shelf. I'm keeping it just in case I ever sell the bike and the new owner prefers the stock rear. I don't want to get rid of it but would be glad to ship it to you if you want to use it for measurements and etc. You would just have to ship it back when you are done with it. Of course if somebody wants a VMAX rear, this would be the perfect time of the year for them to just send you their stock unit and take advantage of your great offer.

Hey Don,

Because I don't own a Second Gen. I just don't know where that speedo hole goes! I would LOVE to offer the VMAX Final Drive to the Second Gen. Owners at a price LOWER than other company's are offering it for. If you would send me your Final Drive I would only need it for a few days and would be happy to send it back to you. Heck, I would even cover your shipping costs to send it. Do you happen to remember what you paid for your VMAX Final Drive? Also, is there a spacing shim between the Final Drive and the Drive Shaft Tube?

Thanks Again,:clap2:

Earl

I currently have 2 VMAX Final Drives and have been wanting to modify one with the speedo hole for the Second Gens. I am willing to do the Machine work for FREE if a Second Gen. Owner will bring their bike to my shop, or send their final drive to me so I can measure the placement of the speedo hole. I will then machine the hole in this VMAX Final Drive I have and sell it to the owner for just the cost of the VMAX Final Drive. (Approx. $150.00) These units go for over $300.00 exchange so if some Second Genner is interested, I will give them a heck of a deal if they will work with me on this.:confused24:

If you are interested, PM me.

Earl

Just sent you a pm.

Thanks,

Big Mike

Freebird has agreed to send me his RSV Final Drive (Thanks a Bunch Don!) I will use his final drive to make the measurements I need to machine the VMAX Final Drive I currently have. Once I have an Idea what the machine time is and add in the cost of the VMAX final drive I will post pics of the Modified VMAX Final Drive in the Classifieds in the Second Generation Venture Parts and Accessories section with the price. (I can tell you right now, it ain't gonna be $150.00) I was hoping to work with one of you Second Gen. owners, but no one stepped up in a timely manner. I am SURE I can beat CycleMAX's price (which is $625.00 if you want to keep your stock Final Drive!) and you will be able to keep you stock final drive. The way I see it, it's a win, win. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Just want to input this, not trying to be a fly in the ointment. We need to inspect and make sure that the driveshaft is correct for doing this. The G2 has a pickup magnet if I'm not mistaken for the sensor to read. This will still have to be addressed and find out if it's in fact on the driveshaft or internally in the pig (which is where I believe it is) We may still have to pull the gearing apart to install the piece from the original G2 rearend...just thinking out loud here.

OK this is just MY experience.

At 40,000 miles it picked up a TERRIBLE whine coming from the rear end. The dealer swapped it for a new one, no problem. but before I gave it to him, I pulled it down and looked at it.

There were absolutely no marks on either of the gears. In the manual there is a PIA shim adjustment procedure the I'm sure would have fixed it. What scares me about swapping the housings is if this spacing procedure isn't followed, the same whine may appear. Yamaha is not known for consistency in manufacturing tolerances.