IGNORED

Insurance premiums on the rise?

a1bummer

[ATTACH]40439[/ATTACH]Has anybody else here in WI. had their insurance go up? Mine went up more than 48%. I've never had a claim or violation. They gave several reasons that may have resulted in the increase. One of which was thew passage of a 2009-2010 WI. Budget Bill, effective 11/1/09. anybody hear of that one? As far as I knew, there weren't gonna be any changes until this July when insurance is going to be mandatory. I scanned my letter and attached it to see what you guys think. Is my premium still lower, or is it time to start looking for a new carrier? Keep in mind this is for a full year.

Edited by a1bummer

LOL. I assume the difference between yours and mine is where I live, etc.. I guess more to what I was thinking was how my insurance just keeps going up. For all my vehicles. No accidents, no tickets, no violations, etc.. As I was growing up I was always told that if I was good I would be rewarded. My parents and friends parents premiums always went down the longer they went without any issues. Aside from the usual inflation hikes anyway. These days I do the same and my premiums just keep going up. I don't get it. My other half has Progressive on her car and her premiums went up just because her daughter got her license. She has her own car, (which is also insured through Progressive), and she doesn't drive her Mom's car at all. We told Progressive that, but it didn't matter. I don't understand what one persons vehicle or insurance has to do with the others when neither person has anything to do with the other persons vehicle.

But on a lighter note. I got a quote from Progressive for my bike that will be less than what my current insurer can do. If I reduce it to comprehensive for the 5-6 months that it's parked for the winter, my premium should be closer to the $161.00 I paid last year for my current coverage. So YES, it most definitely does pay to shop around.

In the mean time, I'm gonna try to figure out what this new "Budget Bill" is all about.

My blood pressure has been up since this morning. I started to post about this but I thought well, this site is about motorcycles and there is no need to get a discussion started that may get out of hand. But after reading this post here I go. I said that the next time someone complained about insurance rates I was going to tell them to call lawyers and chiropractors. A lady in my church that I have insured was backing out of a parking space at k mart and another vehicle was backing out in the same direction. The two vehicles hit each other. The damage to my insureds car was 450.00. The girl in the other car was screaming and crying so my insured asked her mother, who was in the car, why she was so upset. Her mother said she was upset because she just had another accident a few months ago. Everyone was fine, no one was hurt. Today I got a copy of the claim check where my company paid the other party $20,000. I called my company and talked to the claims rep and I jumped all over him and asked him if they just laid down and gave a blank check to the other party. He said they know it is fraud but can't prove it so they can't take the chance of going to court. The other party went to a chiropractor 22 times and the chiropractor stated they had soft tissue damage. Another of my insureds went through a stop sign in a ford ranger pickup and was hit by a 4 wheel drive dodge ram truck. It totaled my insureds truck but barely did any damage to the dodge. No one was hurt. Last week I got a copy of the claim check and my company paid the guy in the dodge ram $50,000. My insured said no one was in the dodge other than the driver but the lawyer claimed the guys 4 year old was in the truck also. Another of my insured's son was turning into the drive way shared by the local harely dealer and hooters. A guy on his harley leaving hooters turned into the path of my insureds vehicle. My insured slammed on brakes and barley knocked the guy down on the harely. The people who were eating and drinking with the harley rider stated they had been drinking alcohol. The rider wasn't hurt and got up and rode away on his bike. He got an attorney and sued the insurance company but when the company took the statements of the people drinking with the harley rider they denied anyone was drinking. The company just settled with him for $75,000. Back to the claims rep I talked with this morning. He said he had been handling claims for 40 years and said he would estimate 75% of the claims he pays involve some fraud but you can't prove it. We all fuss about rates but the rates area based on what the companies pay out. Now, I'm ready for all of you that are going to come back bashing insurance companies.

Yup! I've seen plenty of insurance fraud myself. All these jackass' take advantage of insurance companies. Insurance companies take it back from their customers. Either way, the insurance companies come out ahead in the long run. Otherwise I kind of doubt they could stay in business for very long. I guess it's the good guys who end up taking it up the behind. I also have a problem with they way insurance companies and many other types of businesses for that matter, decide on what they're going to charge/treat you. Things that if it was anybody else, would be considered discrimination. Most of which people have absolutely no control over. For this, they get penalized.

I guess this is only one of the many things that are screwed up with society. I guess about the only thing I can do about it is to be the best person I can possibly be and hope it rubs of onto someone else.

[ATTACH]40439[/ATTACH]Has anybody else here in WI. had their insurance go up? Mine went up more than 48%. I've never had a claim or violation. They gave several reasons that may have resulted in the increase. One of which was thew passage of a 2009-2010 WI. Budget Bill, effective 11/1/09. anybody hear of that one? As far as I knew, there weren't gonna be any changes until this July when insurance is going to be mandatory. I scanned my letter and attached it to see what you guys think. Is my premium still lower, or is it time to start looking for a new carrier? Keep in mind this is for a full year.

Shop around every year. I was with Progressive for quite a few years and every year my rates would rise a little bit (for no reason), finally had enough and shopped around and got a much lower rate.

Shop around every year. I was with Progressive for quite a few years and every year my rates would rise a little bit (for no reason), finally had enough and shopped around and got a much lower rate.

I'm in the same situation right now with Progressive. I just recieved a quote from Allstate ins. company for about half of Progressives bill. Needless to say I'm going to be checking out the details a bit more with Allstate and may well switch over to them. I already have homeowners and auto insurance on 3 vechicals with Allstate. They didn't insure trikes before but am being told they now do so we'll see where this all goes down.

Larry

And shopping on the internet may not be the way to do it either. I shopped my auto policy every year for years and the quotes all came in pretty close to my current coverage.

By chance I had a conversation with an agent that ended up in my Auto and Homeowners being sliced in half.

I'm not upset with my insurance company. (Progressive - well, maybe over the commercials, but they're still better than the lizard.) I just renewed my auto policy. It went down a little. Been with 'em eight years now. I also just got the bike renewal bill. It went down a little also. It's still a bit high compared to the numbers others are quoting, but I have my coverage maxed out.

In September of '05 I got an '05 Midnight picked out from under me. Crushed my left leg. An uninvited visitor decided to drive down my side of the road for a while. I tried to dodge, but you can only do so much. Armando had no insurance, no license, and fled the scene. They caught him forty minutes later. He got ninety days. In all I got most of a year rebuilding my leg.

My health insurance ate $150k for the leg. Progressive paid off the bike and sent me a check for the balance. They also showed up with a check for the uninsured/underinsured. I ordered my '06 from a rented hospital bed in November. Still had an external fixture on the leg. When my '06 finally showed up in March I paid cash. They offered to deliver it, but I limped over, folded my cane, put it in the side bag, and rode away. Turns out it can be easier to ride than walk.

Nope. Not mad at Progressive. They've done me right. I'll stick with 'em as long as I can. I'll also pay to have the highest coverage I can get. I bought the insurance for the '05 online. Every time I've bought insurance through an agent they've suggestion a more modest policy. That time I just kept clicking away. For a while I thought I'd made a mistake, and then I met Armando. I hope my current policy level is a waste of money, but you never know...

My Progressive policy for full coverage on my 07 RSV is just over $300 a year, went up a tiny bit over the last two.. I called Nation Wide (because they now have an AMA discount) and with the AMA discount they wanted over $1000 a year.. So I'm not complaining about Progressive.

I live in cental Wi and my went up $350 to over $600. No tickets and or claims. Dairyland ins. Shopping around now so far Geico is the cheapest at $325.

Mine was also with Dairyland. Progressive is giving me the cheapest so far now with better.

Hows you credit score? Insurance uses this against you also. With all the people out of work credit scores have to be going down.

That is a real biggie right now.

In 35 years and over a million miles driven with zero claims and zero citations, my insurance (car, house and bike) more than tripled overnight because of job problems pulling my credit score down. They have me in the highest risk category that there is. I drive a 16 year old vehicle with 250K miles, and pay the same as a 18 year old with multiple convictions for OWI driving a new Corvette, I have shopped around and they are all the same within $25/yr.

They all know when they have you bent over.

The worst thing is that it takes 7 years to get the negatives to fall of your credit report so they can keep soaking you for more cash that you can not afford.

With the new insurance bill in WI, I will be getting another hefty rate increase real soon.

[/Rant off]

I live in central Mn. Thru AARP / Foremost Insurance Program, full coverage for me is $248.00 Annual (100/100)........Progressive wanted $409 w/ less coverage(50/50) for my "08" RSV...I was with Progressive for my "01" Roadstar and that was only $151.00 up until last spring when I got my RSV,,, I realize I came up 7 years and went to the RSV therefor the $100.00yr bump. I guess this is really good compared to what you all are paying....

Renne :backinmyday:

Hows you credit score? Insurance uses this against you also. With all the people out of work credit scores have to be going down.

Ya, that's one of my problems. I've been able to keep up with all my utility bills since I got a divorce many years ago. But I've always had health problems so I can never keep my doctor bills under control. So I get screwed by the insurance companies, landlords, banks, etc. because my credit is always crappy. I've had all my medical bills paid in full several time, but it doesn't make a difference if you can't keep them pain in full all the time.

I know cops and employers get into hot water if they treat you differently according to sex, age, race, etc.. How come all these banks, insurance companies, landlords, etc. get to do it all the time? It would be nice if a person could get treated fairly and be rewarded/penalized for the things they have actually done in their own past. It's getting really old having to pay the price for what others have done.

The bottom line is in the accounting departments and CEO bonuses.

Higher premiums (for what ever reason) = more money in and out of the company.

So while the companies state when pulled before congrees that their profits have remained flat at 7 or 8 % the basis on what that profit is taken on has increased substantially.