IGNORED

Is this hard on my bike?

Chaharly

I pulled the pipes off of my 85 Venture Royale, and i put the tips for the pipes sticking outward from where the pipes should be. Dad thinks that its bad for it, but i think that since its going through the catalytic converter, it shouldn't make any difference.

Having the pipes off didn't really affect performance

so what do you think?

your 85 G1 is a great machine and the 85 brown is a great colour, dont let Yammer convince you that its like his "ugly" bike . its no wonder he has had issues with the bike when he calls her names like 'ugly"......lol!

The tips shouldnt hurt the bike but you may run lean if it doesn have enuff backpressure. I would think that would be real loud, are you aiming to be as deaf as the rest of us lod farts when youre our age? LOL

Brian

Hey Charley,

I remember as if it was just yesterday how much I loved the sound of my unbaffled Honda 750 and KZ900! The upside of this set-up is because of the reduction in back pressure the bike is going to "wind up" much faster! Throw a K&N air filter in that baby and you will have a screamer. You may notice quite a bit of "popping" on decell, as the collector actually sucks oxygen into itself and unburned exhaust gases will "reignite" inside the collector. (There is a "slight" chance of splitting the collector open under HARD decell) As long as you are into the throttle the bike is going to run well but you may find "cruising" or putting around town will not be as much fun. ( engine stumbles, hard to hold idle, etc.) Now for the downside, with the tips basically exiting at your hips, you are going to smell exhaust fumes and feel the heat on your feet when sitting at a stop light. As a result of being exposed to this kind of machine for over 50 years, I now suffer from CHS! (Can't Hear S**T!) The last thing I wanted to mention is that (and it took me years to figure this out on my own) because I ride "rather quickly" a lot of the time, the louder your bike is, the more attention you draw to yourself. Now don't get me wrong, I was all about getting attention, but what I found out was the cops were the ones paying more attention to me than any one else! ( too many tickets!) The other thing I found out was that most girls don't like a motorcycle that makes more noise than they do! ( This is IMPORTANT!, Pay Attention!) Your guy friends are going to think your loud bike is "cool" but if you want to cruse with "chicks" then you are going to have to find something between "freight train loud", and your dad's Gold Wing. A set of Mac mufflers, or the Jardines, would be an excellent choice, louder than stock with a good sound but not so loud that your local police Dept. follows you every time you go to the 7/11 for a soda. (Been there, done that, got the Tshirt!) Now, when I was your age, when my dad said, "short hair", I said, "long hair!" when he said, "bike too loud", I said, "bike needs to be louder"! So what you are feeling is perfectly normal. Now that I am older, and have looked back on all of the girls I could have taken for a ride, but they would not because my bike was too noisy, or all of the tickets I got because I ran in a pack of three bikes, I wasn't even going the fastest, but was the loudest, so I got the ticket! If my dad was alive today, he would say I was a "knuckle head"! about things like that. If I had it to do over again, and knew what I know now, I think I may have done a few things different. But who knows!

Below is a pic of my 87'VR with the Jardines on her, pretty cool, right!?!?

You'll figure it out...in time, we all did! (Just don't be a knuckle head about it like I was!)

Earl

As far as pickin' up chicks goes, I have never had any trouble getting more women to ride with me than my wife would like to see! (believe me when I tell you that fact!) but the way I see it there are two different types of women when it comes to riding on a motorcycle, the first wouldn't know a scoot from a washing machine, (or a stove for that matter!) They think that chunky, dunkin' donut front tire and that Studebaker dash is actually "cute"! It doesn't bother them at all when the other bikes go flying by on the highway as long as they are "lookin' at her" when they pass! When asked what is to be done when it comes time for Maintenance this woman will resound, "just take it to the dealer, baby". :confused24:

And then there is the other type of woman, the one that leans the same way you do in a tight turn, the kind that yells WoooHoooo! when you "drop the hammer" and dust a Harley, (or a Wanna' Be!) The kind of woman the leaves 8 pairs of shoes at home when going on a road trip, or kicks in for gas, (God love'um) or checks the air in your rear tire because she can get down there easier! Yes Sir, those are the type of women that I like to ride with, and for the other type, well, they can ride with you Second Gen. guys!!

I'm Done!

Earl

I've run several different exhaust tips on my 83V, and the Bub's I stole from the H-D dumpster looked the best, sounded the best, but sucked the performance outta my engine. (no, I didn't re-jet) I was given a pair of new* Yamaha tips from a different bike, which were silent in comparison, but made a HUGE difference in how my engine ran and pulled.

I did that same thing to mine a while back. For a couple tank-fulls anyway. It was just plain to loud for my taste. It sure sounded sweet when I cracked her open though. My fear was getting pulled over for loud exhaust. it did help with acceleration! Years ago I know some engines had troubles with "burning" exhaust valves. I'm guessing that the reduced back pressure made them run to lean. If I remember right the problem could be avoided if the carbs were tuned properly.

As far as pickin' up chicks goes, I have never had any trouble getting more women to ride with me than my wife would like to see! (believe me when I tell you that fact!) but the way I see it there are two different types of women when it comes to riding on a motorcycle, the first wouldn't know a scoot from a washing machine, (or a stove for that matter!) They think that chunky, dunkin' donut front tire and that Studebaker dash is actually "cute"! It doesn't bother them at all when the other bikes go flying by on the highway as long as they are "lookin' at her" when they pass! When asked what is to be done when it comes time for Maintenance this woman will resound, "just take it to the dealer, baby". :confused24:

And then there is the other type of woman, the one that leans the same way you do in a tight turn, the kind that yells WoooHoooo! when you "drop the hammer" and dust a Harley, (or a Wanna' Be!) The kind of woman the leaves 8 pairs of shoes at home when going on a road trip, or kicks in for gas, (God love'um) or checks the air in your rear tire because she can get down there easier! Yes Sir, those are the type of women that I like to ride with, and for the other type, well, they can ride with you Second Gen. guys!!

I'm Done!

Earl

Nuff Said!!

The 1st kind are fun once in a while but the stayers are worth their weight in 1st gen parts!!

I pulled the pipes off of my 85 Venture Royale, and i put the tips for the pipes sticking outward from where the pipes should be. Dad thinks that its bad for it, but i think that since its going through the catalytic converter, it shouldn't make any difference.

Having the pipes off didn't really affect performance

so what do you think?

I guess since I have kids, I look at this a little different than some. I don't know if you asked your Dad or if he just did what Dad's do and offered his help. Seems you didn't really like his position so you asked some other guys and will use their opinions to make your decision. Well, who you going to go to when you really need something? You going to go to "good old Dad" or other guys?

I am not putting anyone's opinion down, just saying you might want to check your hold card.