IGNORED

Auto mechanics out there?

Mikealiasmike

Ditto! I've used the same resources as well. The only things I had to do is weed out the people who "think" they know what they're talking about and the people who don't, or can't answer your question, and then tell you what you should do instead. In which case, they shouldn't have posted a response in the first place.

I used to have a shop and any of that info was right at hand for me. But its been so long since I was in the business that I couldn't tell ya anymore. Now days, I just do it as a hobby. Much less pressure this way.

Good Luck, Bill

Any small block Chevy should bolt right up...305, 307, 327, 350, 400SM. block. I would stick with a 350 if you find one. They are cheap also. Chevy 350s are the cheapest engines that there are to build.

:sign yeah that:

I wouldn't waste my time with any other SB Chevy other than the 350. They are in high demand so dont be surprised at some of the prices.

Something else I thought of too is whats in the truck? If your swapping from a 305 to a 350 make sure all the balancers and pulleys are on the different engine. The balancers aren't interchangeable from my understanding.

Hey Mike,

From 1985 to 1990, Chevy was transitioning from autos/trucks with a Carb. to fuel injected motors. Along the way to "Tuned Port Injection", there was a stop at what is called "Throttle Body Injection". Here's what you need to check, open the hood, and if you see a conventional looking, round, Air Filter, and under that is a intake manifold that is centered between the two cylinder heads, and on top of that is what looks like it could be a Carb. (minus the float bowls) then you have the " throttle body injected" motor. This motor was produced for about 5 years and if you try to go to another motor then you will be changing the computer out as well. If you lucked out and have the "vortec" tuned port injected motor then you have a lot more options because that motor is still being put in Chevy trucks to this day. (plus or minus some electrical upgrades) If for example you have the 350 motor in your truck now and want to go to a 305 you will need to change the computer as well because the "map" in the computer is different between the 350 and the 305 cubic inch motor. Can Vortec motors and different cubic inch motors be interchanged in your truck, Yes they can but it WILL NOT BE just a strait forward swap of the motor. The computer will need to be changed as well as some of the wiring harness. As far as physically bolting to the transmission, all of the "small block" Chevy motors have the same bolt pattern on the back of the engine, and the motor mounts bolt to the frame in the same place. A V8 Vortec motor would be a great upgrade from a throttle body motor but would take a fair amount of extra work to make it run right. So to answer your question without even knowing what the displacement of your engine is, If it is a throttle body injected 350 cubic inch V8 motor you will be shopping from 1985 to 1990. AND if you try to go with a 305 throttle body motor you will be changing the computer as well. AND if you try to put a Vortec V8 motor of any size in your truck you will be changing the computer and adding or subtracting from the wiring harness as well.:doh:

Hope this helps,

Earl

The best that I remember, '89 was the second year of fuel injection on the Chevy p/u's so you'll need to reuse the intake from the engine that you have in it. Other than that almost any smallblock will fit up to when they changed to the new style engines. And it's best to get the same size engine that comes out since the fuel injection is sized for the engine but the computer will compensate (up to a point) for the difference if you go with a smaller 305. (I'm guessing from the way you worded the post that you have a 350 in it.)

I just remembered that the intake bolts are at a different angle on the '87 and newer engines so you'll need to stay in that range.

Wouldn't hurt to check online or a large GM dealer for a new one. Just a quick look online and I saw that they are just under $2k.

And check out http://car-part.com/.

Hope some of this helps. Good Luck!

350 is definitly the way to go, If you like the truck and plan to keep it for a few more years, What about a Reman Engine from Advanced Auto, 2 Yr/24k Warranty and I think you can get a Short or Long block. Well worth the money when you consider the Time & Effort it takes to do a motor swap. "Do it right the First time" Junk yard motors are ok if you go through them, but if you need to use the truck and need to rely on this truck. Put hard earned money in a Good place.

Just another road to look down.

Later Vern

I have a 1989 Chevy 1500 4x4 pickup. It needs an engine. What years engines will fit? Will a 305 or other bolt right in? Thanks and God Bless. Mike

You didn't say what is in the truck now. Is it a V6 or V8.

If there is a 5L or 305 in it now. A small block 350 will work fine. Make sure the balancer is attached. Pully can be interchanged with you existing one. All your existing brackets will bolt right up to the 350. Try to find fuel injected one if possible, just to save some work. But if you can't find a fuel injected one, just get a carburated one. The intake from your existing engine will bolt right in.

If you have a V6 in it now. You are best to stay with a V6 because changing to a V8 would require changing the wiring harness. You would also have to change the computer, possibly the fuel pump and eventually the suspension springs.

Edited by elag

I have a 1989 Chevy 1500 4x4 pickup. It needs an engine. What years engines will fit? Will a 305 or other bolt right in? Thanks and God Bless. Mike

A 305 and 350 are the same engines with different bores, a small block 400 is a different engine, bore, crank, and heads plus water galleys are different.

If its a 89 it is throttle body injected, and a 305 will bolt right in, I have had chev picks with both, I have never been able to tell much performance difference between the 2.

as someone said any junk yard call tell what will fit.

Gregg

I no longer what all works with what, but one other thing to look out for is that in an engine swap the state may get involved, In WI it is illegal to change to an engine other than what the vehicle came from the factory with.

As far as a 305 vs a 350. I have a GMC K1500, 4x4, ext cab, 8' box with a 350, my buddy has the identical year make model and options except that he has the short box and the 305. I get better gas mileage than him, and can still blow him away in a race even with the extra weight that I am hauling.

If you have the 350 now, stick with it, if you have the 305 now, you will need to do all of the research mentioned in the posts above to see if it is worth the extra effort and cost to upgrade.

Din't wast your time with a salvaged engine you can never tell what shape it is in until you tare it down. then it's to late.

your best bet is to get a crate engine or better yet have one built then you know what you have when your done and you would be suprised at the little difference in price.

I would go with a 350 built up from a good shop. just be sure it's a 4 bolt block. they make both 2 bolt and 4 bolt the 4 bolt is much stronger.

As for installing a different engine then the origenal it is true that a deale can't install anything but what was in from the factory but non dealers can install anything you want.

I don't know why it is I think it has to do with dealers and warrenty or something I never did get a good explination on that.

I ran into that a frew years back when I had a 305 that went bad an I had to replace it I wanted to go up to a 350.(the 305 was under powered for what I needed) The dealer said he could not even sell me a 350 they could only sell me a direct replacment they wouldn't even talk to me until I gave them the VIN number.

I went to a local motor shop that builds racing engines and had one built better then factory, higher compression, roller cam , molley rings the works and it only cost me about $300 more then the 305 from the dealer. It was the best move I could have made.

The other thing if you go up you may have to up size the exaust system so the engine can breath

Be prepaired when they do the swap they will always find other things that need / should be replaced, don't cut corners there if it need replaced replace it it will save you down the road

good Luck

the exhaust manifolds from a 305 will not bolt up to a 350 on the passenger side.

so, yes you can change engine sizes, but you should keep your original fuel system/intake and you wont have to change the computer, as the o2 sensors will adjust for more or less fuel requirements for the larger or smaller displacement engine.

the 305 was a fine motor, and will run as well as most 350 engines, however a replacement rv cam while swaping the intake is money well spent. the factory cams were very soft in most 305s and would wear out premature and cause poor performance.

stick with whatever the truck came with, less headaches, less guesswork. mike