IGNORED

The end of the rsv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ken

Regarding the dropping of the RSV in favor of another model in the line (or simply dropping it), I would say this about that! I don't see it happening. Yamaha corporate has far too much money tied up in engineering & development, tooling, etc. of the new Vmax engine for them to not use it elsewhere. The Vmax is just too much of a specialty bike with a limited demographic to tap for sales. It only makes sense to use the powerplant in other models (RSV & RSTD) as was done before. Yamaha may be a lot of things, but I don't think stupid would be among any descriptive terms I would use for them (and I do think it would be a financially dumb move for them to make). Agonizingly slow to do things?...yes! Rigid in their thinking?... possibly! Stupid?...I'd have to vote no!!

Besides, they were the ones to take ten plus years developing a following for these machines. It just doesn't compute for them to blow that off or to expect RSV & RSTD owners to forego 4 cylinders for two, or liquid cooling for air and hang around out of good will, etc., etc. And I think Gregg's discussion with the Yamaha rep. dovetails with what I've said.

OK, I'm done!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like eveything else, I bought a Valkyrie and honda quit making them, found bluesjeans I really liked and duckhead quit making that style, earthshoe made a shoe that was really comfortable to me and guess what, I bought 2 pair and they quit making them.

I should have known when I bought the Venture it was all over for the RSV.

Just shoot me

Gregg:doh:

Geez footsie, are you married and employed still!! :doh: odds aren't lookin' good are they? :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::rotfl::rotfl:

Regarding the dropping of the RSV in favor of another model in the line (or simply dropping it), I would say this about that! I don't see it happening. Yamaha corporate has far too much money tied up in engineering & development, tooling, etc. of the new Vmax engine for them to not use it elsewhere. The Vmax is just too much of a specialty bike with a limited demographic to tap for sales. It only makes sense to use the powerplant in other models (RSV & RSTD) as was done before. Yamaha may be a lot of things, but I don't think stupid would be among any descriptive terms I would use for them (and I do think it would be a financially dumb move for them to make). Agonizingly slow to do things?...yes! Rigid in their thinking?... possibly! Stupid?...I'd have to vote no!!

Besides, they were the ones to take ten plus years developing a following for these machines. It just doesn't compute for them to blow that off or to expect RSV & RSTD owners to forego 4 cylinders for two, or liquid cooling for air and hang around out of good will, etc., etc. And I think Gregg's discussion with the Yamaha rep. dovetails with what I've said.

OK, I'm done!

darn there is some one else in this tread with an engineering head on their shoulders. kudos to you for the intellegent forsight. they already have the frame and engine,( very, very hightech at that), right under your noses for the new to come venture. i can't believe you folks can't see it. from an engineering and marketing stand point you can bet on it being built on the new v-max platform. the strat is nice but the motor is archaic. it shakes, it's air cooled, it's got old fashioned push rods. it's not even in the same league with the new voyager motor. the voyager engine has dual counter balancers, watercooled, 4 valves per cyl. overhead cams with hydraulic adjusters, throttle by wire, 6 speeds, etc. yamaha wants to sell bikes. they aren't going to aim sales at our generation. they want a chunk of the next gen. touring market, and they won't get it introducing an antique. the old second gen is already way ahead of the strat in engineering. companies don't make money going backwards. the strat is a nice cruiser. it will never be a flagship tourer and get big sales. the new voyager is'nt going to set any records. my prediction is the new to come venture and goldwing will set the standard for touring bikes for years to come. think about it. the writing is on the wall right in front of you. :2133:

If the update the Venture with the new V-max engine, when my warranty is up I will probably trade it in. If they don't I will probably keep it a bit longer, and when I get tired of it will switch to a Goldwing or BMWLT. If there is no water cooled Venture in the future, and for some unknown reason I am lured to an air cooled touring bike, it will probably be a Harley. But I doubt it.

Story in our local newspaper today...

--------------------------------------------------------

As the baby boomers continue to age, the 55 to 64 age group will increase by 30.3% or 9.5 million persons, more than any other group. The 35 to 44 age group will decrease by 5.5%, reflecting a slowed birth rate following the baby boom generation, while the youth population, aged 16 to 24, will decline 1.1% over the 2006-2016 period.

--------------------------------------------------------

Statistics point to more and more "touring bike riders". One would think that such companies as Yamaha would be in tune with that and design/develop bikes for the "now" market.

I believe we will see a completely redesigned touring bike from Yamaha. It may not go by the name of "Venture" but it will be a touring bike in competition with Honda, BMW, Kawasaki, Victory, and Harley and don't be surprised if Suzuki joins the race.

I have to disagree how many people in their 60's are going to buying new bikes? With the state of the economy, job losses, 401k drops, pensions being pulled or reduced, with many folks that are retiring and have little else except social security to live on. They are predicting jobs arent going to come back to quickly years what I have heard. Whats going to happen with our income taxes in the future with less people paying into social security to support the boomer generation I suspect alot higher especially if they push the health care bill through. I don't see a whole lot of bikes being sold especially to the boomer group. The big boom of bike selling was fueled by the baby boomer generation god bless them they sold alot of bikes they wanted bikes like they rode in the 60's and 70's hence the classic bike market was huge. But the boomer generation isnt going to buying that many more bikes that time is ending. Bike sales have been down the last four years. I'm not part of the boomer generation I rode Honda Hurricane's and Ninja's in the 80's (I'm in my early 40's) I'm not interested in the Harley look. I'm looking for a big sport tourer (not FJR) like the Gen 1, GW, and K1200lt something comfortable but still fun to ride with amentites like a radio etc. I do agree it will be a redesigned bike but not what a Venture currently looks like.

Now the Suzuki aspect I forgot about them looking at their stuff not much there though the Boulevard m109R doesnt look to bad but its not a touring bike.

OK, I'm done!

I don't think they will put a Vmax motor in a 2nd Gen frame its a waste. A high performance motor would be a better fit in a sport tourer. I also spoke to a Yamaha rep they basically said the Venture name will retire sales are way down and an upgraded Stratoliner will take its place. Stratoliner has a big Vtwin with fuel injection. Every other manufacturer except BMW has a Vtwin lineup. Theres alot of people who still like that Vtwin rumble and low end torque how many sales is Yamaha giving up to stay with a V4 classic look? How really big is the following? No one else makes a V4 classic look. This is not meant to cut down you 2nd Genners but no other manufacture has a V4 classic look and sales are supossedly way down for the current Venture. How long are they going to stick with it? Obviously the V4 is not enough of a pull to get Venture sales up. If I was forced to ride a Harley type bike it would be the Venture they are comfortable and I prefer a higher reving motor but obviously it appeals to a smaller group then the Vtwin crowd. (Im with you 2nd Geners I prefer the V4 and its higher rpm cabilities). Its a change for someone who is use to a Vtwin when they get on a V4 they are different. I really doubt any bike built by Yamaha with the Vmax motor is going to have the old school look.

darn there is some one else in this tread with an engineering head on their shoulders. kudos to you for the intellegent forsight. they already have the frame and engine,( very, very hightech at that), right under your noses for the new to come venture. i can't believe you folks can't see it. from an engineering and marketing stand point you can bet on it being built on the new v-max platform. the strat is nice but the motor is archaic. it shakes, it's air cooled, it's got old fashioned push rods. it's not even in the same league with the new voyager motor. the voyager engine has dual counter balancers, watercooled, 4 valves per cyl. overhead cams with hydraulic adjusters, throttle by wire, 6 speeds, etc. yamaha wants to sell bikes. they aren't going to aim sales at our generation. they want a chunk of the next gen. touring market, and they won't get it introducing an antique. the old second gen is already way ahead of the strat in engineering. companies don't make money going backwards. the strat is a nice cruiser. it will never be a flagship tourer and get big sales. the new voyager is'nt going to set any records. my prediction is the new to come venture and goldwing will set the standard for touring bikes for years to come. think about it. the writing is on the wall right in front of you. :2133:

I have to agree with most of what you said Bill. The next generation is going to be different. I have to disagree it will be the BMW and GW. If you read about the current style GW history (http://www.motorcycledaily.com/07dec00honda2001wingreview2.html) they set out to get younger buyers and appealed to a sportier crowd but could go the distance in the touring aspect and be comfortable. Honda was ahead of its time. The 1st Gen Yamaha was way ahead of its time GW 1200 had to change and I still dont think the 1500 GW was a better bike then the 1st Gen. Not until the 1800 GW came do I think Honda got it right, but GW had fuel injection in the eighties. Wake up YAMAHA. Have a friend who used to have a Valkerye now has a GW1800 he had an itch for another bike thought maybe he'd like the Valkerye again went out rode one a couple miles came back and said "What was I thinking? You cant go back." Basically thought the Valkerye was a piece of junk after his ride.

Edited by CrazyHorse

I have to disagree how many people in their 60's are going to buying new bikes? With the state of the economy, job losses, 401k drops, pensions being pulled or reduced, with many folks that are retiring and have little else except social security to live on. They are predicting jobs arent going to come back to quickly years what I have heard. Whats going to happen with our income taxes in the future with less people paying into social security to support the boomer generation I suspect alot higher especially if they push the health care bill through. I don't see a whole lot of bikes being sold especially to the boomer group. The big boom of bike selling was fueled by the baby boomer generation god bless them they sold alot of bikes they wanted bikes like they rode in the 60's and 70's hence the classic bike market was huge. But the boomer generation isnt going to buying that many more bikes that time is ending. Bike sales have been down the last four years. I'm not part of the boomer generation I rode Honda Hurricane's and Ninja's in the 80's (I'm in my early 40's) I'm not interested in the Harley look. I'm looking for a big sport tourer (not FJR) like the Gen 1, GW, and K1200lt something comfortable but still fun to ride with amentites like a radio etc. I do agree it will be a redesigned bike but not what a Venture currently looks like.

Now the Suzuki aspect I forgot about them looking at their stuff not much there though the Boulevard m109R doesnt look to bad but its not a touring bike.

I don't think they will put a Vmax motor in a 2nd Gen frame its a waste. A high performance motor would be a better fit in a sport tourer. I also spoke to a Yamaha rep they basically said the Venture name will retire sales are way down and an upgraded Stratoliner will take its place. Stratoliner has a big Vtwin with fuel injection. Every other manufacturer except BMW has a Vtwin lineup. Theres alot of people who still like that Vtwin rumble and low end torque how many sales is Yamaha giving up to stay with a V4 classic look? How really big is the following? No one else makes a V4 classic look. This is not meant to cut down you 2nd Genners but no other manufacture has a V4 classic look and sales are supossedly way down for the current Venture. How long are they going to stick with it? Obviously the V4 is not enough of a pull to get Venture sales up. If I was forced to ride a Harley type bike it would be the Venture they are comfortable and I prefer a higher reving motor but obviously it appeals to a smaller group then the Vtwin crowd. (Im with you 2nd Geners I prefer the V4 and its higher rpm cabilities). Its a change for someone who is use to a Vtwin when they get on a V4 they are different. I really doubt any bike built by Yamaha with the Vmax motor is going to have the old school look.

I have to agree with most of what you said Bill. The next generation is going to be different. I have to disagree it will be the BMW and GW. If you read about the current style GW history (http://www.motorcycledaily.com/07dec00honda2001wingreview2.html) they set out to get younger buyers and appealed to a sportier crowd but could go the distance in the touring aspect and be comfortable. Honda was ahead of its time. The 1st Gen Yamaha was way ahead of its time GW 1200 had to change and I still dont think the 1500 GW was a better bike then the 1st Gen. Not until the 1800 GW came do I think Honda got it right, but GW had fuel injection in the eighties. Wake up YAMAHA. Have a friend who used to have a Valkerye now has a GW1800 he had an itch for another bike thought maybe he'd like the Valkerye again went out rode one a couple miles came back and said "What was I thinking? You cant go back." Basically thought the Valkerye was a piece of junk after his ride.

your another straight thinker. the bmw will be a contender, but their lack of a massive dealer network and expensive service has always been their down fall. this will always leave them in the also ran position. nice bikes ,just not convenient to own. just watch for the new wing and venture. the big thing that will change my predictions is this failing economy. and it hasen't even reached bottom yet. the japanese aren't stupid they are taking heed to our failing dollar and are bailing out on us. we ain't seen nothing yet. the snow ball has just started to roll. as usual i'm glad i'm as old as i am, and have no family to worry about, but me, my wife, and my puppy. yep i have got it made. :2133:

I don't think they will put a Vmax motor in a 2nd Gen frame its a waste. A high performance motor would be a better fit in a sport tourer.

The one problem with that line of thinking is that the current engine in all the Ventures is the SAME as a V-max 1200 engine. Sure on some it has been up sized to 1300, but no real other differences.

The one problem with that line of thinking is that the current engine in all the Ventures is the SAME as a V-max 1200 engine. Sure on some it has been up sized to 1300, but no real other differences.
Cams, carbs, exhaust & transmission ratios are all different... :whistling:

As some have stated already, it seems to make sense that a new Venture would need to capture a new demographic. The mc rider that rode a crotch rocket in his twenties and is now in his mid 30's to mid 40's is probably the one that makes the most economic sense. My desire would be to take the Vmax motor and put it in something in-between a Goldwing and an FJR. The riding and foot position needs to be more comfortable than the FJR but retain the carving abilities and PLEASE don't cover up that beautiful motor with a bunch of plastic.

:thumbsup2:

Like eveything else, I bought a Valkyrie and honda quit making them, found bluesjeans I really liked and duckhead quit making that style, earthshoe made a shoe that was really comfortable to me and guess what, I bought 2 pair and they quit making them.

I should have known when I bought the Venture it was all over for the RSV.

Just shoot me

Gregg:doh:

Thanks alot Gregg!:happy-emoticon:

Haha, just kidding!

your another straight thinker. the bmw will be a contender, but their lack of a massive dealer network and expensive service has always been their down fall. this will always leave them in the also ran position. nice bikes ,just not convenient to own. just watch for the new wing and venture. the big thing that will change my predictions is this failing economy. and it hasen't even reached bottom yet. the japanese aren't stupid they are taking heed to our failing dollar and are bailing out on us. we ain't seen nothing yet. the snow ball has just started to roll. as usual i'm glad i'm as old as i am, and have no family to worry about, but me, my wife, and my puppy. yep i have got it made. :2133:

Yes thats a big concern of mine. I like the bikes but no where near the dealer network. Supposedly working on a new large sport tourer with an all new 2000 CC motor according to my BMW buddy. Havent seen anything on it yet though. I guess like the Venture.

Hmmmm, come to think about it.... they did that with the Royal Stars already once. I guess that means it will be something like 2020 before we see a new version!

Oh, no, wait... Everything ends in 2012. :confused24:

Dang, I never thought of that angle. Guess Yamaha is pretty smart for not wasting money on bike development since the end of the world is coming up fast! :crackup:

I heard the 2011 will have a highly upgraded cassette player with music search and auto reverse. Oh wait, does it already have that? IMHO, I think the Venture will be made for years to come. Don't know about FI or VMax motor, but believe it will be around awhile.

Glenn

Yes Annie I'w still married, been so for 29 years, still employed, I am an Intensive Care RN, for now we are still in demand.

It is seems like every thing I really like they quit making.

Gregg

Hey Gregg, Thank you for taking such good care of folk!! :happy34: I know your job ain't easy and can be quite thankless at times. The people that looked after me in intensive care after my accident were amazing

So here's a hug for all you do :bighug::You_Rock_Emoticon:

heres some facts on the new v-max engine. first the frame and engine are designed to work together, it is an aluminum frame, using the engine as a stressed member. this gives the overall bike a solid flex free platform, like the gold wing. it elminates wallowing like the second gen. has, and reduces weight. steel frames are being fazed out. they will use a modified versioin of the new max frame. in the new venture. yamaha has spent millions on this new engine and frame combo in the new max, and like they did with the max and first gen they have big plans for it in a future tourer. the 2nd gen will be history. if you want the old motorcycle look, the strat and v-star will still be there. they will never put the new max engine in the 2nd gen frame. just won't happen from an engineering stand point. it's way to much motor for that frame, and overall design of the bike. :2133:

heres some facts on the new v-max engine. first the frame and engine are designed to work together, it is an aluminum frame, using the engine as a stressed member. this gives the overall bike a solid flex free platform, like the gold wing. it elminates wallowing like the second gen. has, and reduces weight. steel frames are being fazed out. they will use a modified versioin of the new max frame. in the new venture. yamaha has spent millions on this new engine and frame combo in the new max, and like they did with the max and first gen they have big plans for it in a future tourer. the 2nd gen will be history. if you want the old motorcycle look, the strat and v-star will still be there. they will never put the new max engine in the 2nd gen frame. just won't happen from an engineering stand point. it's way to much motor for that frame, and overall design of the bike. :2133:

I agree with you on everything but styling. Yamaha specifically targeted a demographic that likes (more or less) the "retro" style of the Harley, but wanted something "different".."better"...in the most subjective areas-long distance comfort and strong versatile power, when they introduced the 2nd generation Venture. If the demand weren't there, I doubt Kawasaki would have introduced their new touring bike; and Harley still gets a big chunk of the market. The difference, I believe, is that the Venture/RSTD represent the proverbial "old shoe" comfort feel & look, with a leg up on the technology part of the equation. That's not to say the Venture is loaded with tech ..it's not.... not yet. Notwithstanding that Yamaha has milked the 2nd gen a little too much and has delayed upgrades in favor of developing other parts of the product line, I honestly feel that the "next" Venture will be similarly styled, though not quite so staid and tech-wise it will be all over it's immediate competition, cruiser-styled touring bikes; there will of course be Goldwing and euro-bike converts, but only........IF Yamaha paid any attention to us at all about what we liked, disliked and wanted in the next generation, AND acted on it.

So, I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean if all else fails, Yamaha can go back to just making musical instruments and outboards, I'll keep trying to make my RSTD & my 'Wing more to my liking and keep right on riding them. :fingers-crossed-emo

The fact is at major bike events, what you see now is harley's, thousands of them, that look is what the vast majority wants, thus the new voyager, the roadstar, honda VTX.

Yamaha never thought they would take over harley's hold, just get a peice of it, from those of US that did not what a wing, but also don't want a V-twin.

I'm finished, we have killed this horse.

Gregg

Autopilot if we are wrong,we will have a crow sandwich together, you buy sandwich, I'll buy the beer.