IGNORED

Tire - Best Deal

N3FOL

Radials may not be recomended but mine rides 1000% better, handles better and will stop on dime, with the bias plies they just seem to start skiding at the touch of the brakes especially on wet pavement.

I'll stick to the radials.

Gregg

And as the ford and the goodyear reps told me when we did the testing for goodyear eagles on the patrol cars, it the lawyers who decides what recomended not the designer.

Don check them out at bikebandit.com, they have the radial commanders in the sizes that were on my 04, 150/80r/16 on frount, and 150/90r/15 on back.

This is the tire that the michelin dealer recommended to me for the venture. And on the bikebandit site they list them as radials.

But you know I went with Cobra and the kumho.

Gregg

I enjoyed reading all your comments on every tire that could possibly fit our Venture. I contacted American Moto and inquired about Michelin Commanders. Their Load rating for the rear is 74 (827 lbs) and 71 (761 lbs) for the front. At 827 lbs, that is pretty much the whole weight of the bike. So...I may get at least Dunlop E3s for a load rating of 77 for the rear. Still undecided, but I will place my order today and will post here what I actually ended up getting.

Ok...here is probably my final question for the early afternoon. My dilemna is this...I currently have OEM Bridgestone on my front that is still good for another 8000 miles. If I ever decide to go for another brand other than Bridgestone on the rear, this will not match my front tire. I've read on the tech library about this warning and mixed responses from colleagues at work that mixing tire brand is not a good idea....if it can be avoided.

What is your take on this?

page 7-22 07 venture manual\

the front and rear tires should (not must ) be of the same make and design, otherwise the handling characteristics of the vehicle cannot be guaranteed

also, i found nothing in my manual that says you cannot run a radial tire..

i would not mix radial with a bias.......if enough people confirmed that they mixed different brands of the same type tire....i might consider that

the manual also says that only dunlop 404 and bridgestone g705g /702g are the only approved tire for this model..........so much for that...

Edited by jlh3rd

I could not find anything about radial tires in the manual, called Jim(dealer) today he said he did not know anything about Yamaha not recomending radials on the venture. He did say that raider, some of the warriors came from the factory with a bias on frount and a radial in the rear.

He did say the Yamaha will only recomend the tires they have tested on any individual machine.

Gregg

I have read as many of the posts relaetd to tire selection as I can find and I need to decide soon. Unfortunately for me, I am located on Canada (Ontario), and tire prices are almost double those in the US and shipping costs to Canada are prohibitive. I was previoulsy thinking Elite 3 but I am surprised with the posative comments about the Shinko 230 Tourmaster on this and other sites. Here in Ontario, prices vary quite a bit, but the cheapest price for a front tire for my 88VR is about $160 for an Elite 3 and $120 for a Shinko. Interestred in comments on which way to go, as I value good performance on wet or snaked roads.

I emailed Shinko and asked for the load rating on the Shinko 230 150/90/15. It looks like the same load rating as the Avon Venom and the Metzler 880 Marathon. (Metzler tires is not recommended by majority of Venture owners). I've not read of anybody using a Rear Shinko tire on a 2nd Gen.

They responded stating,

"First of all let me thank you for your interest in Shinko Tires!! The laod rating on this tire is 992 lbs. I hope this information helps and if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!"

Was planning on replacing the rear tire this Winter but just noticed my rear tire is not so good so I'm thinking I better do it now. Got a price of CAD$190 for the Dunlop Elite 3 and CAD$127 for the Shinko 230 Tour Master. Quite a difference.

The E3 is accepted as a good choice but what about the 230 Tour Master? I've read some good things about the the TM but not enough to feel confident that it is a good enough choice. Can't seem to find the posts about Shinko I had read so anyone here got one and if so how do you like it?

I am about to buy new tires for my 88VR and I was leaning toward Shinkos until I did some more searches for reviews today (its raining here so I couldn't ride) and got the impression that the E3's will last much longer. It seems like they are both good for rain and snakes. Several have commented on the E3's cupping and being a bit noisy, although most seem to like them. Here in Ontario, I found quite a difference in quoted prices with the best prices being about $160 for the E3's and $120 for the Tourmasters which are much higher than US prices until you add the shipping costs.

I received another email from Shinko's customer support and they said that the Shinko 230 is a V Rated tire. The specs. are similar to the Metzler, so it may or may not be a good choice. My gut feeling is that this tire may last for at least 10K miles as long as you maintain proper psi throughout the life of the tire. As far as price is concerned, the Shinko is for sure the cheapest tire out there.

I enjoyed reading all your comments on every tire that could possibly fit our Venture. I contacted American Moto and inquired about Michelin Commanders. Their Load rating for the rear is 74 (827 lbs) and 71 (761 lbs) for the front. At 827 lbs, that is pretty much the whole weight of the bike. So...I may get at least Dunlop E3s for a load rating of 77 for the rear. Still undecided, but I will place my order today and will post here what I actually ended up getting.

After a few days of internet shopping for a motorcycle rear tire, I decided to order another Bridgestone G702 from AmericanMoto tire. I made this decision, because I still have my OEM Bridgestone on the front and this front tire may easily last for another 5K to 8K miles. After this set, I may very well try another brand and replace all tires as a set. Thank You for all your helpful response to my inquiries and Thank You to VentureRider.org.

Order was place today, so I probably should receive my tire in about 3 to 5 days.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm joing the confused & will getting a rear tire before sping, I think????

I'm traveling to a Harley dealer in Ohio to buy a 2008 Venture. Asked the folks to check the tires and they said the front is fine & the rear looks like it needs replacement soon.

So... either the Harley dealer salesperson doesn't know about metric touring tires & doesn't understand their pattern or I will be joining you guys in...

THE HUNT FOR THE PERFECT TIRE

Because I am a proactive, rather than a reactive person I have started already.

My thoughts/notes are:

1. 404's - junk/crap - noisy - lousy mileage
  2. Shinko - most comments make me think they are average for mileage
  3. Metzler - I accept the majority - will not touch them
  4. Avon Venum - would buy these if I found a sale
  5. Dunlop Elite 3 - my chice at prices I have found today

That is it so far.

Everyone, please keep up the posts & opinions. It has been great for me!

Edited by First_N_Last

Well I'm joing the confused & will getting a rear tire before sping, I think????

I'm traveling to a Harley dealer in Ohio to buy a 2008 Venture. Asked the folks to check the tires and they said the front is fine & the rear looks like it needs replacement soon.

So... either the Harley dealer salesperson doesn't know about metric touring tires & doesn't understand their pattern or I will be joining you guys in...

THE HUNT FOR THE PERFECT TIRE

Because I am a proactive, rather than a reactive person I have started already.

My thoughts/notes are:

1. 404's - junk/crap - noisy - lousy mileage
  2. Shinko - most comments make me think they are average for mileage
  3. Metzler - I accept the majority - will not touch them
  4. Avon Venum - would buy these if I found a sale
  5. Dunlop Elite 3 - my chice at prices I have found today

That is it so far.

Everyone, please keep up he posts & opinions. It has been great for me!

You can always become a darksider...

After a few days of internet shopping for a motorcycle rear tire, I decided to order another Bridgestone G702 from AmericanMoto tire. I made this decision, because I still have my OEM Bridgestone on the front and this front tire may easily last for another 5K to 8K miles. After this set, I may very well try another brand and replace all tires as a set. Thank You for all your helpful response to my inquiries and Thank You to VentureRider.org.

Order was place today, so I probably should receive my tire in about 3 to 5 days.

All I can do is shake my head and wonder . . .

We all know it is your bike, and you can put any tire on it that you want. But you just spent your money on the absolute WORST tire possible to put on the Venture, and you compound the problem even more by leaving that horrible stock front tire on there. That may be an opinion, but I say it as a fact based on my extensive tire testing with this bike AND that I do not know of anyone who has ever said they think the stock Brickstones are decent tires after they have tried any other brand. I know they are the only tire you have tried, and you must feel they are OK, but MANY members here, in direct reply to your own questions and in lots of other threads, have clearly stated the problems with these terrible tires. There really are a few of us here that know a thing or two about these bikes!

I don't have any personal stake in your decision, but it still makes me sad to think you will continue to be completely in the dark about how well this bike can handle.

Goose

I'm going to agree with Goose on the Bridgestones. I just replaced the Bridgestone Spitfire II rear tire on my Virago with an Elite 3 and experienced a dramatic improvement. At this time the front is still the Bridgestone but it will be coming off this Winter when I have more time to arrange a better deal than is available from the local MC shops here in B.C.

I LIKE not love the Dunlop 404 WWW. First it is a WWW and second it is not a Bridgestone or Metzeler ME880. It handles very well for my driving and gets respectable mileage. I love whitewalls and there are few to choose from for 2nd gen. Ventures. I also have my own changer and balancer so it is my choice for my need.

:farmer:

All I can do is shake my head and wonder . . .

There really are a few of us here that know a thing or two about these bikes!

I don't have any personal stake in your decision, but it still makes me sad to think you will continue to be completely in the dark about how well this bike can handle.

Goose

I am not jumping on you but I believe this may be a tad harsh. Not that I disagree with your comments on that tire and I know you know allot (more than most) about these bikes and probably ride harder than anyone.

To me, N3FOL did not want (or could not afford) to change both tires and it seems to me his decision may have been on the fact he does not want to mix the tire brands. Also his riding style may not require anything better.

I am not the smartest here but I run the Dunlop 404's WWW because of appearance only. Not the best tire I agree but it suits me, and my choices are limited (for WWW).

I got 22,000 miles on front and there was probably 1/16" left. I changed two back tires in this same mileage, and both were changed before there were worn out. I was going on a trip and wanted to have new tires so I changed them for a piece of mind. I ride two up often and pull a trailer, and ride the highways often.

Brad

I have no problem with Goose's comments. He can say what he wants. :680:

BradT, thanks for standing up for me.:farmer: You are right, a part of my decision is to stay with the same brand for the front and rear. I am plenty happy with my OEM Bridgestones with ride comfort and handling. For the last 2K miles, I changed my psi to 40 rear and 37 front. If I get at least 10K to 11K on the rear tire, I am a happy rider. Attached is a pic of my Excedra waiting to be installed once I decide that the rear tire is no longer safe enough to use. Honda Moly60 and one oil seal are waiting in the garage as well. :D

Ride Safe.

Please get an E-3, about $20 bucks more, and will go almost double the miles.

And the caseing is twice the thickness of the D-404,

Its the best deal for the money. ( and a DARN good tire ) !!!

Oh yes, and it was made to carry a Gold Wing, with a large Wife on the back