IGNORED

Words of Phrase ,"Clearveiw"

BEER30

I finally decided to order myself a Clearveiw windshield last Wednesday via phone . I received a phone call this past Friday (2 days later) to say it's ready to ship out to me . It was shipped that same day and I should receive it on the 27th . On the website and at time of ordering via phone , I was told the dreaded 7-8 week lead time . You see , Miracles do happen or is it that I am just a nice guy ! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

When I placed the order and received the phone call about the shield being shipped sooner , they were very friendly and pleasant to talk with , almost as if I were sitting on the back deck drinking a beer with them . Now that's service !

I ordered the XX-tra tall , tinted shield to help the buffering off of her head . Now , what's next to add to the scoot ?

BEER30

Hope you are order one with GW Vent installed. That help a bit in warm weather.

What more ??? Keep leahering yor bike... I Think there is couple more spots left :080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

I Have XXL tinted "Clearview" installed on my bike year ago, and never switch to shorter one.

I ordered a clearview tall with vent about 10 wks ago and I finally called them on Saturday and they left 5 very nice messages on my phone today. The messages basically stated that they had gotten tint material that was unacceptable and that it would probably be another 3 wks before I received my windshield or if I would sell out for a clear one could probably get one this week. I'm happy for you beer 30 but I'm a little pissed that they feed me a bogus line as an excuse for it not being here by now. I need to be clear that I have not spoke to them and we are playing phone tag. I can guarantee you that I will be speaking to them tomorrow and find out what the hell is going on. I'm not going to spout off any further until I talk to the Clearview rep. I will update you when I know more.:bang head::bang head:

Guess I must be living right. I was notified that the Clearview XL/tinted I ordered in August would go into production the week of Oct. 8th. I mentioned to them that I am leaving on a 2K mile trip on Oct. 21st and asked did they think I'd have it by that week. They said yes, but also told me that if I wanted an XXL/tinted they had one in stock that they would hold for me for 1 day. I took more measurements and called them to accept the deal. That was last Thursday. I got it today, installed it, and it's GREAT! The height is just perfect, so the XL I thought I needed would have been a little short. Funny how things work out sometimes. Go figure. :confused24:

Please let me clarify that I actually ordered the XX-L shield , not the X-tra large as I first stated . Hope this didn't cause any hardship , but then again I am called a trouble-maker :innocent-emoticon: .

As far as the vent goes , my bags are a bit larger than others and a bit taller for a vent . I don't want a vent that high upon the shield . Soon I will go with the lower shield deflectors as the warmer weather start to disappear , but we will not speak much of that subject right now :no-no-no: .

BEER30

You can check to see if they will sell you a vent that you can install yourself. That vent really helps in the heat of the summer. I use mine all the time.

RickH at Buckeye performance sells the GW vents with a template and instructions if needed. Also the CV vents sit just above the dash and would definitely interfere with his windshield bag.

I said that I would update about my Clearview windshield order going on 9 wks now. I talked to John @ Clearview this morning. He said that it would be approximately another 3wks for the xxl,tented,vented shield. He apologized for the delay that they got a shipment of tented material that didn't meet their standards and just got in a new shipment that is good to go. I questioned him about over the phone orders in the last wk. and already receiving their shields. He said that they had to be shields already mfg. without the vent and that the vented ones are formed when the material is shaped not after. He also said that I could probably get a clear one much sooner. John is very friendly and professional and I'm satisfied with his response. Those of you w\ the tented shield is it really worth the wait? My wife and I are going to Bikes,Blues and BBQ in Fayetteville Ark. first wk. in October and It doesn't look like the shield will be here in time. Hope to see some of you guys and gals there. :325:

Hi All,

Those of you with the high clearview shield, how is the visability in rain or fog at night? Which products do you use to help with visability?

Nats

I have the tall shield and have ridden in some heavy rain. It can be a problem. It is worse when my glasses get fogged up along with the wet shield. I can sit higher in the seat and see over it if I have to though.

As for the vents that people are talking about, I actually have the Goldwing vent in mine but later installed two of the round vents. I actually like the round ones better. I think the next time I need a shield I will order it with no vent and just go with the round ones.

Hmmm, Gene.....that nice Clearview shield rakes/leans backward into the dash. Have you checked your clearances for the pouches?

Gotta have the windshield to do that . Should be here Thursday and then I will see . As the way I have my bags set up now , they do not touch the stock shield but only on the sides . I kept a gap there so it would not score the shield . As the do rest on top of the dash itself , I think I should have enough clearance and only have to do a small amount of modification . As for the Clearview vent,I know definitely it will interfere with the bags as far as height and how it sticks inwards towards the rider .

Gene

Gotta have the windshield to do that . Should be here Thursday and then I will see . As the way I have my bags set up now , they do not touch the stock shield but only on the sides . I kept a gap there so it would not score the shield . As the do rest on top of the dash itself , I think I should have enough clearance and only have to do a small amount of modification . As for the Clearview vent,I know definitely it will interfere with the bags as far as height and how it sticks inwards towards the rider .

Gene

Since they manufacture the shield right there on site im sure you could send specs for vent placement other than stock location. Believe me, that vent is well worth it.

If I got the vent up above my bags , it would be in my line of vision if I slouch down in my saddle like I do on long runs . I need my bags more than I need a vent for storage such as wallet , video equipment , glasses and such . I'm investigating on making air ducts or diverting vents on the lowers to throw air up . If it doesn't look like I can do this , oh well .....I am content . I want the taller shield more for my wife to prevent the bobbling head , as her neck was injured years ago .

Gene

I have been looking at these shields and was planning on getting a clear shield.

Most seem to be getting the tinted shield. Is their an optical advantage or is it just about the appearance?

Also, I want a lower shield that I can see over. How does the medium compare to the show chrome windshield?

Received my sheild yesterday , put it on last evening , and enjoying the ride today . I found that I can modify my w/bags to work , but without them right now it feels so bare , so much space . Like I am sitting on the front fender . Need to get them mounted quick !

I put close to 100 miles on today during out of shop chores . I've notice the less buffering , quiter , less tuberlence behind truckers , and cuts through the wind with much more ease . With less wind resistance , that means I can put much more further distance ahead of a 1st gen'r ! :rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

But think of it this way , I can have their ice cream ordered and sitting there when they show up . That if I don't eat it myself ! :fnd_(16):

Bugfish69 , tinted to me is much easier on the eyes . I'm 5'9" and can peep over the top of this XXL sheild . It is 1" taller than stock .

Gene

Guest KitCarson

Hey: Glad you like your new shield. I still eagerly await mine. I have had several reliable reports that the shorter shield does in fact perform much better than the tall OEM one. My factory shield that everyone tried to tell me was so tall so as to prevent buffering, actually tries it best to lift my helmet off my head. It hits me from both sides at once, it is a constant pain in the.........!! As for getting caught in the rain it is a real safety issue. It is not so much the rain, one can use rainX. But the spray from other vehicles seems to coat the inside of the shield also, quickly causing invisibility.

I have ordered the vent with mine also, to try to combat this hot summer weather in South Carolina.

As for the 1st Generations catching up with us, I would not worry about that, their bikes whine so much we can just breeze by them while they are putting in their ear plugs. :rotf::rotf::big-grin-emoticon:

My factory shield that everyone tried to tell me was so tall so as to prevent buffering, actually tries it best to lift my helmet off my head. It hits me from both sides at once, it is a constant pain in the.........!!

How's the buffeting for the passenger? Have you had a chance to ride 2 up with it yet? I've heard that the shorter one is good for the driver, but the passenger gets it lots worse with the shorter shield. I also understand that a vent or 2 in the OEM shield will break the vacuum created behind the shield and prevent the water from getting on the back of the windshield.

Guest KitCarson
How's the buffeting for the passenger? Have you had a chance to ride 2 up with it yet? I've heard that the shorter one is good for the driver, but the passenger gets it lots worse with the shorter shield. I also understand that a vent or 2 in the OEM shield will break the vacuum created behind the shield and prevent the water from getting on the back of the windshield.

Yes, we ride it two up all the time, in fact as soon as Miss Brown Eyes gets up this morning(that will be 9 a.m.) we are going for a three or four hour ride, through the national forest and up to a Lake we have not visited for awhile.

You can hear a lot of things, sure can, and I am guilty of saying things that may not suit someone else's situation also. There really is no one solution. Brown Eyes is like five foot 4 and about 110 pounds, and the venture passenger seat puts her up to where she can see over my helmet, just like the driver can see over the windshield(or should be able to!!) So each rider and passenger has to kinda work out their own solution.

The common equation seems to be though, the tall windshield, for whatever reason it was built that tall(and clear view even makes one taller......????) pushes a lot of air and creates a lot of turbulence. The turbulence or buffering, buffeting whatever you call it is constant, all the time and never lets up , it is not just when the big semi-rolls past at 90, it is all the time. Hey do you know the difference between a buffet and a buffet" at a eating joint? One serves a drink with the meal, the other you have to buy it :rotf::rotf:.

A vent will relieve some of the negative pressure behind the windshield, but again let me try to show you the whole picture. When caught in the rain, and if it is a warm summer rain and a relief from the heat and you decide to ride and enjoy it, what happens is the road spray from the traffic.......you know that sticky scum that coats your bike....makes it dirty so you have to wipe and polish it for two hours.......sticks to the windshield also..........front and back as in 30 to 50 mile per hour speeds through town, four lane roads at major towns, one is not going fast enough to set up the airflow and allow physics to take over and work for you. So one is constantly trying to clear the windshield to see........in the rain, (and I wear glasses too-they will fog up sometimes-which adds to the whole deal) and trying to concentrate on swiping the shield right quick and also do a semi emergency stop in the rain because some idiot person in a car , just for no reason stops in the middle of the road, can be quite an experience.

So there really is not one solution to any of this, each rider and passenger has to come to their own solution. Maybe I was wrong to jump all over this skyscraper windshield so hard, I just could not fathom how designers, engineers, people who are supposed to know about this stuff, would put a bike out with one like this. Our recent Touring bike(the fix or repair daily Harley) I know I cut the windshield down on it 2.5 inches...as the rear passenger seat is lower on those machines......as is the leg room (but that is another story) So even with that one, we had to custom work on the shield.

Kit