IGNORED

New Member Questions

Whitlow

I posted this in the new member section but after thnking about it feel it should be here.

Well let me start off by saying hello to you all! I’m just about ready to buy a 03 Venture it has 13700 miles and is in great condition. It has several extras that I know of extra brake light below trunk, chrome luggage rack, chrome saddlebag guards, driving lights, headlight, driving lights, turn signal light chrome visor rings, highway pegs and I think the leather tank piece is extra also. It also just had a new rear tire and brakes installed. This will be my first Yamaha motorcycle but I have owned several others. 94 Goldwing, 01 Kawasaki Vuclan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda VTX1800 Retro, two 03 Honda VTX1800 Retros and a 01 Harley RoadKing. I have not ridden this bike yet so how can I compare it to what I have ridden/owned? I want to get another dressed touring bike but really did not like the sitting position of the GW. So I can get this bike for $8500.00 with 2 helmets both with J&M headsets. Here is a picture of it tell me what you all think? I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/VictoriaVett/100_1683-1.jpg

I will ride it before I hand over the money for sure but my plans are the buy it if I like it. My VTX is a bit to handle when slow ridding the rake is a lot on them. The guy has some Sampson fishtails mufflers and a short windshield he said he would let me have for an extra $250.00 but I don't want a loud bike. My VTX had Bub Jug Huggers I want to be quiter now

The guy has some Sampson fishtails mufflers and a short windshield he said he would let me have for an extra $250.00 but I don't want a loud bike. My VTX had Bub Jug Huggers I want to be quiter now

get him to throw them in and then sell the fishtails...you might want the w/s

I talked him down to this price thats why the windshield and pipes are not coming with it. He has lost his job and thats why he is selling it is like his baby! I've been working on him for weeks now. Told him I did not want to ride it until he would agree on a price I did not want to fall in love and be willing to give more! LOL By the way I' 50 and 6ft 185ibs so I don't thing I have any problems ENJOYING THIS!!!

Gorgeous bike; that is my favorite color scheme! I'd love to find an 03 with such low miles (my 05 has over 70K). Do a good test ride, all speeds, all gears. Get it on the road at your normal cruising speed. Listen for an annoying whine. Not all of these bikes have the whine problem, but a few have it bad. Only you can tell if the bike you are about to buy has any noise that you would find objectionable.

Realize this is an over-square small-block engine that needs to rev. If you ride it like a lot of other machines (especially any V-twin), you will think it is a dog. The bike has a rev limiter that hits at 6,500 RPM, so there is no way you can hurt the engine by honking on it - make sure you take the bike all the way to the rev limiter in 2nd gear on an on ramp or highway to know what that baby can do. You can try that in 3rd gear too, but you won't feel it falter until you hit 96 MPH!

Before you test ride it, check the air in the forks and rear shock (forks max 7 lbs, shock max 57 lbs). If the owner does not have a Progressive pump with dial gauge and zero-loss chuck, there is absolutely no way to check the front forks, so just let all the air out of both. It is imperative both forks be EXACTLY equal, and zero lbs is just fine. Don't try to check them with a normal tire gauge - without a zero-loss chuck just touching them with a gauge will release too much air. Rear shock can be checked like normal - anything between 25 and 45 lbs will be just peachy for a test ride.

Final comment (I think) - look at the bottom of the rear shock, where the support struts connect. Make CERTAIN there is NO SIGN of oil on the bottom of that shock. The shock is a known weak point of this bike, and it is expensive. Since the bike is out of warranty, you don't want to get stuck buying it with a shock that is already bad! Good luck!

Goose

Another comment - I cannot really tell from the picture, but that front tire looks like an Avon Venom - if so, GREAT. But if either tire on the bike is a Brickstone POS, all bets are off on the handling - it will be terrible compared to how it will feel as soon as you put good rubber on it. I'm just saying to not be overly concerned if the bike feels really heavy and nasty at parking lot speeds if it has stock Brickstone crap on it.

Edited by V7Goose

The seating on the RSV is similar to that of the VTX but the handlebars are much different. You will notice a big difference there.

All good notes here.

Regardless of what kind of tires are on there (but especially if they are the Avon Venoms) make sure you take a careful look at the sidewalls all the way around for any signs of cracking. And it may be helpful to ask to see when they were put on, as a bike with that kind of mileage could indicate that it was stored for a while, or whatever. But again, it would be a shame to buy the bike then have to put tires on it right away.

Thanks V7Goose for all the great info here are some more pictures of the bike I will for sure follow your instruction during my test drive and look it over well!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/VictoriaVett/100_1684.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/VictoriaVett/100_1685.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/VictoriaVett/100_1686.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/VictoriaVett/100_1690.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/VictoriaVett/100_1691.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/VictoriaVett/100_1692.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/VictoriaVett/100_1695.jpg

That front tire is a Dunlop D404 in stock size - not a great tire, but not terrible either. At least the front forks won't try to slam all the way to full lock when you try to turn in first gear! I have absolutely no idea what that rear tire is.

From everything I can see, that bike is absolutely in great shape. If I didn't find any surprises, I'd snap it up in a second!

Goose

Nice bike..But No one has bidded on this NEW bike 2007 model that someone posted on here a few days ago.In case you are interested Id wait till the last minute and bid the asking price of $11899.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-VENTURE_W0QQitemZ270453458919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item3ef84847e7&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245 BUT also,That color is nice and several accessorries.Not tring to steer in ,or away from that bike at all but I have been eyeing this bike as its close to where I live and a GREAT price for New..5year warranty unlimited mileage.

get him to throw them in and then sell the fishtails...you might want the w/s

I would buy the fishtails from you if you get them .. i like the bike i have a 07 and i had a roadking prior and i love the rider position of this bike but im not a very big guy im 5'10

Ron

Tom nice bike but I do not like Black! I had a 01 HD RoadKing in black and it looked nice the second after it was washed but after that it showed everything. That is just my 2 cents plus I don't have that kind of money!!

I totally understand..mine is black and its a BEAR to keep clean! BTW Welcome to the site!

hi vance

:welcome1: real nice looking bike. i bought my '99 used with 21,000 miles on it in '05, now have over 71,000 on the clock. you will enjoy the bike, it's a beast and loves to be on the open road the v-4 like the higher rpm's. will cruise all day long at 70's or higher. only thing i will add is that i have a short inseam 27" and stand 5'7" so i'am sometimes on my tiptoes. but other than that it was love at first sight. i have learned a lot from this sight and have meet and made a lot of freinds with this vr family.

best reguards

don c. :Avatars_Gee_George:

I'm 6ft and my in seam is 32" I sat on one and I was flat footed with a bend in my knees. I was kind of shocked with the weight they did not have a reverse like my GW did. The GW really seemed to be wide when I stopped and put the feet down. I was reading where you can add some type of kit to the rear shock and it made it handle better. Any input on this from you all?