IGNORED

Do I have a warrantee issue?

Hello to all;

I have just experienced some issues with the lower fairings and the travel trunk. The lower fairing left side (saddled up) is cracked at the point in which it mounts to the inner fairing cover / frame. As far as the travel trunk lid, the male latch mount on the left side (looking in from back) has cleanly separated and sheared off. I have read that these types of issues are covered under the five year warrantee. If so, is there a generic claim number to be used or is it a case by case basis? The local dealers by me are not very friendly when it comes to these warrantee issues. Nobody wants to be bothered. Can this be handled directly with Yamahahaha? Thanks for the info, when time avails:feedback:. Till next time, ride safe.

Busta.

i had the same problem as you do but on the trunk it is on the right side as you look at it. i put some locktite super glue on it and so far its been a month and its still holding. like you said it looks like a clean break. i opened the trunk and there it was stuck in the lock part. well i will be watching this thread and see if it is a warrenty item.

These items are covered under Warranty to the best of my knowledge. Check with your local Dealer and if that fool does not do right by you then contact Yamaha. I'm sure someone here can provide the phone number for Yamaha.

Boomer.......who's lucky enuff to have a great Dealer and Service Tech nearby.

It should be covered under warranty but you probably have to go through a dealer. My dealer told me that anything under $750.00 doesn't have to be approved by yamaha. The dealer can cover it under warranty and submit it to yamaha, no questions asked. If your dealer gives you a hard time, you need to call yamaha or go to another dealer.

Hello to all;

I have just experienced some issues with the lower fairings and the travel trunk. The lower fairing left side (saddled up) is cracked at the point in which it mounts to the inner fairing cover / frame. As far as the travel trunk lid, the male latch mount on the left side (looking in from back) has cleanly separated and sheared off. I have read that these types of issues are covered under the five year warrantee. If so, is there a generic claim number to be used or is it a case by case basis? The local dealers by me are not very friendly when it comes to these warrantee issues. Nobody wants to be bothered. Can this be handled directly with Yamahahaha? Thanks for the info, when time avails:feedback:. Till next time, ride safe.

Busta.

Good luck, I have been going round and round with Yamaha, and they refuse to replace my cracked lower fairing. Yamaha cust service # 1-800-962-7926. Let me know how you make out. Craig

Sorry to hear that you do not have a good dealer, but the answer to your question is, yes, this is a warrenty issue.

The bolt and nut fell off of my shifter last weekend, and I called the next day and a day later he mailed me a new bolt and washer, under warrenty. I have an 05 RSTD.

Good luck, and stick to your guns,

Steve

I found my lower left fairing cracked on my 07 just before Bike week here in Daytona. Stopped at the dealer I purchased it from in Daytona. The service manager said it should be a warrenty issue and if I wanted quick service I should go over to the speedway and find the FL rep for Yamaha. Armed with his name I found him, he looked at the bike , said yes it is covered by the warrenty. He called the service manager at the dealer while I was standing there and told him to order the fairing. Within 10 days I had it replaced and was good to go.

yes it is covered by the warrenty.

My 09 RSV had a cracked lower left fairing. The crack was all the way across. I went to my dealer and as usual I felt like I was a second class citizen but after all the crying the fairing was replaced. I put about another 1500 miles on the bike and it is cracked again. This time only partially across. I went to the dealer again and did the normal dance and they just called me today and said that Yamaha had approved replacement of fairing and any mounting bracketry that they feel they will need to solve the problem. My crack is adjacent to the mounting bolt (both times). Also on the lower inside of the fairing there is an area that looks like crackle paint finish. Something is leaking in there. The mechanic said that they re-routed the fuel overflow when they replaced the first fairing. What is leaking now??? Anyway that I can get the Florida reps name through a pm? I live in Ocala.

What's up with all these left lower fairing issue? Is there something I should do in order for this not to occur on my bike? I still have 4 years and 2 months left on my factory warranty, but I didn't want to go through all that headache.

If you take off the left lower and then put it back on, do not tighten the screw as tight as you can get it. It will eventually crack on the inside. If you look, you will notice a strip of rubber on the lower, Just snug the screw us so it slighly indents that rubber strip. it will not come loose, nor will it crack if you do it that way....

Absolutely covered under the 5 yr warrentee.

Just had my lower left cowling replaced. Same issue.

Dealer told me its a known issue.

Trick is (according to dealer, and as stated in another post on this thread) to use the 2 washer backed mounts to keep the thing on. The 3rd mount (with the plastic mount and rubber grommet) should be kept fairly loose. Even if you go a turn or two from completely tight, the engine/riding vibration will eventually crack it.

As others have stated... just stick to your guns.

Bottom line.. 5 year tire to tire AND the ABS plastic breaking is a KNOWN issue.

Same with the travel trunk... same ABS plastic.

Bob

... Is there something I should do in order for this not to occur on my bike? ...
Order a new one on your dime and the one on the bike will never crack or be damaged in any way. If you order after it's cracked, and buy two, you'll never need the second one.

Works every time for me.

Anyone need an oil seal for a mid eighties Chrysler five speed stick?