IGNORED

09 RSV Home from the dealer!

csogbk

Brought my brand new Venture home this afternoon, parked her in the garage, threw on my uniform and hauled a** into the city for work!!! The 5 miles from the dealer home were the smoothest, most comfortable I've spent on a bike! Hoping for some slow time tonight at work to start to read my manual. Any break in hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. I know I've already left my fuel selector valve on in my garage, hope its ok till my wife gets home! :( Pics to follow tomorrow!!

Congratulations! Only advise I can give is get rid of the stock tires immediately and put on Avons or Elite3s..Handling will be SOOOOO much better. Then take it easy and practice practice practice slow speed maneuvers.

Don't worry about the fuel valve.

Many folks just leave it on "Reserve" all the time and never move it.

There's no need to turn it to off unless there's a problem with the needles not seating in the carbs or to remove the tank.

Don't worry about the fuel valve.

Many folks just leave it on "Reserve" all the time and never move it.

There's no need to turn it to off unless there's a problem with the needles not seating in the carbs or to remove the tank.

:sign yeah that: I leave both mine on Reserve with no problem or issues.

Go to a nearby parking lot and get use to dropping it . . . er I mean get use to the low speed handling.

Get rid of the stock tires immediately (Avon's or Dunlops).

Have them grease the rear end while they are in there.

Nut and Bolt everything you can get a tool to.

Do a light bar add-on to the rear end.

Check the steering head nut and adjust if required.

Practice smiling all the time cause when you ride this one that is what you will be doing all the time.

Excellent choice I just bought a 09 July 9th and just clocked 3400 miles today. Buy one of the Harley #54630-03A or Progressive hand pumps for the suspension air adjustment. It's the easiest way to air up the suspension I know to date. Don't go over 7# in the front forks I think most riders leave the front at 0# no air at all I am one. If the rear wheel starts squeaking don't panic it's the fingers for the drive needing grease, a warranty issue or just raise it up and pull the rear wheel and grease it yourself takes less than an hour I had to do mine at 1000 miles. All the information is here in the Tech section. Just got back from North West Ar/South West Mo. three days of riding forests, rolling through great curves, and great scenery I can't wait to go back. Your already ahead of the game joining this great forum welcome aboard. Oh did I say I traded a 2006 GL1800 Honda for my Venture? The RSV is by far my favorite machine.

Break in procedure: Ride it like you stole it!! Just vary the RPMs for the first few hundred miles and change the oil. BTW, don't follow the owners manual recommendations on shift point either, the RSV will barely run at those speeds. Wind it up good before shifting, remember it's not a V-twin and the rev limiter activates around 6500 RPM. Try and find it in second and third gear, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Have fun. :banana:

Pics??? We must have pictures!!!

Congrats on the new ride.

A summation of few things mentioned earlier and some new ones:

1) If the stock tires are Bridgestones (commonly referred to as Brickstones) or Metzler, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better a set of Avons Venom or Dunlop E3 tires feel. However, run your current stock tires until the rear needs changed (5k to 15k miles - likely around 9k). If the stock are Dunlop 404s, keep an eye on the rear. It may wear as soon as 4000 miles.

2) Buy some BLUE Loctite and a good set of ball end metric allen wrenches. When you get an opportunity, remove and Loctite as many bolts as you can reach. Specifically, the chrome bolts holding the trunk, the shifter pivot, and any bolts/screws holding on chrome.

3) It never hurts to follow the owner's manual break in procedure. These are pretty bulletproof engines, but some care goes a long way.

4) Learn to change your own oil and to lube the points that need it. We will be glad to help. There are some points in the rear end that are notorious for being underlubed (drive gear and pins). Easy to take care of if you have a lift or a fellow member (with a lift) to help out.

5) If you intend to do your own wrenching, get a lift adapter from Carbon One on this site. Best money you will ever spend.

6) Buy a GOOD helmet that FITS. And wear it! You will get various feedback on this (half helmets, 3/4, modular, full face). Dress for the crash, not for the ride.

7) If you are not vertically challenged, get a set of DiamondR raising links. These will lift the rear of the bike about an inch and will make a huge difference in the low speed handling of this bike. If your inseam is a little shorter, you can instead lower the front forks or put on a thinner front tire to get the same results. Easy to do if you have a lift.

8) Try to attend one of the local M&Es (meet and eat). You will meet locals that can help out with tools, advise, etc. that can make a difficult situation much better.

9) Don't ever be timid about asking for input. This is the friendliest, most helpful group of folks you will ever want to meet.

Welcome to the family. And remember the pictures. One of the few rules around here.

RR

Congrats on the new bike! May you get many miles of enjoyment ouy of it!

Here is an interesting site regarding motorcycle break in procedure. It goes against the old conventional wisdom but does make some sense.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I agree with this 110%.

When I was about 14, my dad bought a new 64 Chevelle. As soon as we were on the highway, he was putting it under a load. It was a straight shift, so he was going up hills in a higher gear under heavy throttle. He told me the same thing about the combustion gas pressure behind the rings was what would seat the rings. I remember that 283 was one screaming engine later on.

I have always used this principle on any engines I have built and it works good. It is also better on the camshaft to keep the rpm's up for a while on a new engine. Starting up a new or rebuilt car engine and letting it idle can ruin a new camshaft.

It is harder to put it under much load if a car has an automatic transmission, but it can still be done.

This can also help gas mileage.

RandyA