IGNORED

Why not a V-6?

Venturous Randy

To my knowledge, there are not any V-6 bikes and I have always wondered why not. With inline 6's, boxer type (GW) 6's and V-4's and many inline 4's, I always wondered why the V-6 was not an option. I know there is a problem with uneven pulse seperation unless the crankshaft rod journels are stepped, but that is a common thing now in V-6 car engines to increase smoothness. :confused24:

RandyA

Specifications: 6 cylinder, 4 stroke, 90 degrees V-engine, liquid-cooled, 995 cc (65 x 50 mm), 140 HP at 11,000 rpm, 4 OHC's, 4 valves per cylinder, 6 carburetteurs (32 mm), 5 gears, 3 disc brakes, mass 220 kg, maximum speed 285 km/h

Wow very cool. I guess it can be done.

I actually have a neat engine for a motorcycle, but it is a V-8. It is one of the 215 cubic inch all aluminum GM engines used in the 60's and later used in the Triumph TR8's. It probably does not weigh a lot more than our V-4's. Of course our engines have the transmission as part of the engine.

RandyA

Was the Valkarie in-line or V? It was 6 cylinder.

RR

Boxster, like the Gold Wing. note there are three exhaust pipes coming out of the engine on each side.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery/Honda%20F6C%20Interstate%2000.jpg

In-line 6 would be a Honda CBX

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Honda_CBX_Engine_Detail.jpg

To narrow the engine you can make oval pistons like the cylinders on the left in the photo below.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/audi-misc/oval2.jpg

Note: all photos harvested from the Internet

That inline 6 is a Honda CBX, very rare to find them these days, I guess it was a monster as far as the torque.

a good friend of mine worked for a local honda dealer in the early 70's and bought 2 cbx's in the crates. he rode one and as far as i know still has one in the crate. they were a big bore very short stroke engine, high rpm. i think they were 1000 cc's. i almost bought one back then but bought a new mach111 500 kaw instead. the cbx's bring big bucks now. actually the st 1300 would have room easily for 2 more cyl.s. and you would have the v-6. here is a bit of info for v-6 lovers. the sho taurus had a v-6 yamaha motor in it and it looked exactly like a v-max motor. i was wanting to build a bike with one in it in my younger days but could 'nt find a new motor. the drive train would have been a machinist night mare. it was one beautiful motor, and it would have been one neat bike. now i have the time, drive train, money , and facilities to build it, but lack the fortitude to tackle it. there is plenty of room for a v-6 in a bike. but the flat six is so reliable and smooth, and has such a tremendous following why mess with it. i look for a v-8 automatic in the not to far future. there is already a Europeon company that built one. it is a sport bike.:2133:

FYI First V8 built in Detroit was for a motorcycle. 1912 Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo. Water cooled, shaft drive, air start. It was a bit heavy at about 3200 lbs. Had outriggers to keep it up at stops. Carried 3 people

Curtiss-Wright 1907 air cooled V8 bike set land speed record of 136 mph. Basically a bicycle with an air cooled V8.

Randya There was a V6 bike That I saw in Canada at the Super Bike Show in Toronto maybe ten years ago. The Company was the Canadian version of the Boss Hoss Company out of Georgia, They had two models for sale. One was a V8 and the other was a smaller 3.0 L V6. It still looked big but not so out of place as the V8 engine looks. I saw that company at the Show the last two years I went but I've never heard anything more about the bike or the company. Maybe some of our Canadian bretheren can fill in th eblanks to my memory on this one

I actually have a neat engine for a motorcycle, but it is a V-8. It is one of the 215 cubic inch all aluminum GM engines used in the 60's and later used in the Triumph TR8's. It probably does not weigh a lot more than our V-4's. Of course our engines have the transmission as part of the engine.

RandyA

There is/was a guy (I believe in Europe) that builds a bike based on that engine. It's also used in some Rovers (?) I copied a pic back when I found them, Not bad! Can't for the life of me find the link for them, nor can I remember their name. but here's the pic.