IGNORED

Vibration/Rattle From The Trunk Area

I have a very nice '99 RSV, but I am getting the most annoying rattle and vibration from the area of the backrest, speaker housing or trunk that I cannot identify. I've tightened every bolt and screw I can find, lubed the trunk lid hinges, removed and reinstalled everything from the front seat on back to the trunk, and still cannot find the source. I've had my wife sit backward on the rear seat while we rode up and down the street to try to isolate it, but even she can't nail it down. The speakers work OK at all volumes, so I don't think it's them, unless it's inside the housing itself. I'm stumped. :bang head:

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Have you checked the mounting bolts for your CB under the trunk? I found mine to be loose and causing a rattle as you describe. BLUE Loctite cured that problem fast.

Boomer.........who only has the marbles in his head causing a rattle on the scoot now.:p

On my 05 RSV I had the most annoying squeak back there. Tightened every bolt I could find, still the squeak persisted. I wound up taking the trunk off completely, cracking and re tightening all visible bolts under the trunk, in the side trunks and when I put it all back together, the squeak was gone. I have no idea what fixed it but its gone!

Good luck

Have you checked the mounting bolts for your CB under the trunk? I found mine to be loose and causing a rattle as you describe. BLUE Loctite cured that problem fast.

Boomer.........who only has the marbles in his head causing a rattle on the scoot now.:p

Yep, I reinstalled every bolt under there, and used a tube of Blue in the process. Still rattles. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have a very nice '99 RSV, but I am getting the most annoying rattle and vibration from the area of the backrest, speaker housing or trunk that I cannot identify. I've tightened every bolt and screw I can find, lubed the trunk lid hinges, removed and reinstalled everything from the front seat on back to the trunk, and still cannot find the source. I've had my wife sit backward on the rear seat while we rode up and down the street to try to isolate it, but even she can't nail it down. The speakers work OK at all volumes, so I don't think it's them, unless it's inside the housing itself. I'm stumped. :bang head:

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Got a heck of a deal for you.....

I'll trade your rattle for my CHIRP! ;):rotf:

Yep, I reinstalled every bolt under there, and used a tube of Blue in the process. Still rattles. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I assume that the bottom of your trunk isn't cracked and that you have the steel plates on the farthest rear bolts, correct? Just checking.

Hey Bobby........When ya find that rattle please post back here and let all us 2nd Genners know..........We don't want to experience parts falling off our scoots :plike them 1st Genners deal with.:p

Boomer.......who is wearing his flak jacket from now on after the recent Chinese Fire Drill here.

I also have a noise from the rear of the bike. Not so much of a rattle, more of a buzzz at certain speeds.

Finally tracked it down. Several years ago I broke an Antenna off and replaced it with a FireStick fiberglass antenna. Well, those fiberglass (CB) antennas have a tuning slug screwed into the end for matching the SWR.

The slug on mine has worked its way down past the internal threads and is floating around inside the botom of the antenna.

Small irritation for me.

Any chance it could be:

• the stock tool bag and the tools are loose and rattling in side bag?
  • License plate loose?
  • either one of the helmet locks loose?
  • either one of the antenna mounts loose..?
  • Top and or bottom rear shock bolt loose..?
  • Rear caliper loose?
  • Rear muffler clamp loose
  • Rear muffler bracket bolts loose

Any chance it could be:

• the stock tool bag and the tools are loose and rattling in side bag?
  • License plate loose?
  • either one of the helmet locks loose?
  • either one of the antenna mounts loose..?
  • Top and or bottom rear shock bolt loose..?
  • Rear caliper loose?
  • Rear muffler clamp loose
  • Rear muffler bracket bolts loose

Great check list! I'm getting on all of these tonight. Anyone of them could be the culpret, including the aforementioned loose tool bag in the side compartment. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I find out after a check of all of the above and a test ride.

Actually, since you said you had your wife sitting backwards to hear the noise and she could not, are you sure it is not your wife rattling :whistling::rotf::rotf:

Sleeperhawk,.......dang,..your on your own buddy... I cant protect you from here...:stirthepot:

I had the same issue with my 07. Drove me to test ride another RSV to see if I could find the noise on a seperate bike. No, Luck. For weeks I checked everything possible I thought. Could have the bike on the side stand and reeve the engine and the noise was always there. Finally looked at the speaker slots and found the end of one cracked and it would viberate causing the noise. A small amount of ABS glue and riding quiet now. Maybe,???

I HAD THIS NOISE ON BOTH OF MY 2003 RSV'S

TAKE THE TRIM PANEL OFF THAT IS BETWEEN THE REAR SPEAKERS, YA KNOW UNDER THE PASSENGER BACKREST?

IT WILL EXPOSE THE INWARD EDGE OF BOTH REAR SPEAKER HOUSINGS, NOW PUT SOME FOAM TAPE OR DOUBLE FACE EMBLEM TAPE BETWEEN THAT INSIDE SPEAKER EDGE AND THE TOUR PACK, YOU WILL SEE SOME SORE SPOTS WHERE THE PAINT HAS RUBBED OF BETWEEN THE TWO PARTS OF PLASTIC, THEN REINSTALL YOUR CENTER TRIM AND GO FOR A SPIN....AND YES MINE WOULD NOT MAKE ANY NOISE WHEN I HAD A PASSENGER

AND YES... YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN WITH THE WISE CRACKS ABOUT THE WIVES!!:yikes:

MIKE.;)

I HAD THIS NOISE ON BOTH OF MY 2003 RSV'S

TAKE THE TRIM PANEL OFF THAT IS BETWEEN THE REAR SPEAKERS, YA KNOW UNDER THE PASSENGER BACKREST?

IT WILL EXPOSE THE INWARD EDGE OF BOTH REAR SPEAKER HOUSINGS, NOW PUT SOME FOAM TAPE OR DOUBLE FACE EMBLEM TAPE BETWEEN THAT INSIDE SPEAKER EDGE AND THE TOUR PACK, YOU WILL SEE SOME SORE SPOTS WHERE THE PAINT HAS RUBBED OF BETWEEN THE TWO PARTS OF PLASTIC, THEN REINSTALL YOUR CENTER TRIM AND GO FOR A SPIN....AND YES MINE WOULD NOT MAKE ANY NOISE WHEN I HAD A PASSENGER

AND YES... YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN WITH THE WISE CRACKS ABOUT THE WIVES!!:yikes:

MIKE.;)

SUCCESS! That was the source of the rattle! It was coming from the speaker housing. A little padding and super glue, and it's now nice and quiet. I also re-installed the plastic cover to the trunk latch mechanism, and replaced the loose plastic plug fasteners with 1" X 6mm bolts and made it very tight.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Now, about that rattling wife thing......!!!!! :scratchchin:

SUCCESS! That was the source of the rattle! It was coming from the speaker housing. A little padding and super glue, and it's now nice and quiet. I also re-installed the plastic cover to the trunk latch mechanism, and replaced the loose plastic plug fasteners with 1" X 6mm bolts and made it very tight.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Now, about that rattling wife thing......!!!!! :scratchchin:

Well, don't tell her you told everyone on this forum that you added padding to quite the rattling wife thing :rotf::rotf::rotf: