I decided to buy the Morgan Carb Tune Kit. I have read the excellent how to articles which is why I decided to sync the carbs myself. The process seems straight forward enough for me to do. The Morgan Carb Tune website and others talk about "5mm and 6mm adapters". I am unsure as to how these "adapters" are used in the syncing procedure. How are they used and were do they go???

Thanks

Dave

I decided to buy the Morgan Carb Tune Kit. I have read the excellent how to articles which is why I decided to sync the carbs myself. The process seems straight forward enough for me to do. The Morgan Carb Tune website and others talk about "5mm and 6mm adapters". I am unsure as to how these "adapters" are used in the syncing procedure. How are they used and were do they go???

Thanks

Dave

I don't believe these apply to our bikes. The hoses on the Carb tune just fit right on the nipples on the intake boots.

I don't believe these apply to our bikes. The hoses on the Carb tune just fit right on the nipples on the intake boots.

Great - I was hoping that would be the answer. My 06 has never had the carbs synced. Now with nearly 20,000 miles, I am thinking that getting the carbs synced will give the old girl that crisp throttle I use to have when she was new.

Thanks

The Morgan Carbtune is an excellent product together with the Digital Tach Clamp Meter makes the job easier. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/esi325.html

The last time I synched mine was around 4000 miles. When I replace my plugs at 8000 miles, I may as well check carb synch and idle per the maintenance manual.

FWIW, I am going to have my Carbtune checked by a calibration engineer here at work. He has a device to check for accuracy on the equipment. I'll post what I find soon.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning, I took my carbtune to our Calibration Engr. here at work. He determined that my Carbtune is accurate within +/- 0.2 mmHg out of the box on all ports. So, I say use your Carbtune with confidence. It is one of the best money can buy for your Venture.

Attached is one pic that I took while my Carbtune is undergoing calibration/verification.

Ride safe.

This is my first attempt at syncing the carbs. I used a Carbtune Pro for the first time. The initial look did not seem very out of balance. Mostly showing slight imbalance on 3 and 4 and somewhat more with 2 and 3. The first picture below shows the best I could get with engine at normal idle rpm. Not perfect but better than the initial reading. The second picture is the same settings as in picture one but with about 500 rpm more throttle being applied and sustained for several seconds (5-10 seconds) which appears to me as perfect. My question is what do you think? Did I get it right even if it is not perfect at normal idle if it balances out with a little sustained throttle being applied? The seat of the pants felt much stronger through all of the gears. More snap when you twist the throttle. Felt better. Considering my initial readings did not look very out of balance apparently it does not take much to affect performance.

PS. Upon placing the bikes vacuum tubes and caps back on I found some small cracks in one of the caps sides (not the end). SHould that be replaced? I applied some electrical tape to the cap's side thinking that would seal the cracks.

I also want to thank everyone responsible for all the detailed information on how to do your own work. Without the information provided here I would have never attempted this project or any of the other service work I have done on my bike. I am still amazed that I was able to do this and all the other thing I have done on the bike. It is all because of what is provided on the website. You have saved me a ton of money. :thumbsup2:

Thank you all,

Dave

PS. Upon placing the bikes vacuum tubes and caps back on I found some small cracks in one of the caps sides (not the end). SHould that be replaced? I applied some electrical tape to the cap's side thinking that would seal the cracks.

Dave,

I went ahead and bought replacement caps / plugs. If you do decide to replace them, [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=347236&postcount=11]this post[/ame] contains the part numbers.

Regarding your syncing, did you adjust the idle first? Perhaps it is too low.

Dave

This is my first attempt at syncing the carbs. I used a Carbtune Pro for the first time. The initial look did not seem very out of balance. Mostly showing slight imbalance on 3 and 4 and somewhat more with 2 and 3. The first picture below shows the best I could get with engine at normal idle rpm. Not perfect but better than the initial reading. The second picture is the same settings as in picture one but with about 500 rpm more throttle being applied and sustained for several seconds (5-10 seconds) which appears to me as perfect. My question is what do you think? Did I get it right even if it is not perfect at normal idle if it balances out with a little sustained throttle being applied? The seat of the pants felt much stronger through all of the gears. More snap when you twist the throttle. Felt better. Considering my initial readings did not look very out of balance apparently it does not take much to affect performance.

Thank you all,

Dave

I do a lot of carb synching for my friends here and I have a slightly different approach to it.. I don't have a tach and can't seem to get one locally and can't get one shipped from the USA because apparently these are a matter of 'National Security" no joke.. seriously.

However, I set the idle screw up till the revs are up more than normal and start the tweaks. Your 2nd image is spot on, nice across the board. I give the throttle a small blip, just enough to jump the carb tune pins but not to slam them to the top!.. And adjust them again.. and do it again.. and again.. and then some more.. blip, adjust.. blip.. let it settle.. adjust blip settle adjust.. turn it off and start it up and get it as close as possible..

Honestly not sure if being THAT tedious with the adjustment is worthy of the effort but we did a test on a buddy's bike that was horribly out of synch.. I showed him how to do it.. and he took it out for a ride and LOVED it.. then I did what I normally do, the tedious slowing time consuming way and sent him out for a test ride.. and he loved it even more.. So I guess it does add a wee bit more over the whole deal.. or not. Hard to tell..

Funny enough, a buddy of mine used to be a sonarman in submarines and can set idle on his bike just by listening to it.. and get it within 25 rpm LOL.. no joke.. VTwins and V4's.. odd

My 87'VR has 88,775 miles on it and needless to say is a bit "loose" in the engine dept. I do VERY LITTLE riding at idle so I prefer to adjust the Carb. Sync. in the 2000 RPM plus range because I am looking for the bike to perform when I am actually riding down the road, not at idle, I could care less how it sounds at a stop light.:confused24:

Just my thoughts,

Earl

I guess I most have hooked mine up wrong or something. At an idle, the morgan was bouncing all over the place. As I idled it up (no Tach) it smoothed out to what I considered to be close enough not make any adjustments. Is that normal at idle?