IGNORED

Why do they do this...??

SilvrT

Why do some riders "bleep" the throttle (quick snaps of the wrist... "blatt blatt blatt") when sitting at a stop light -or- when starting to take off -or- when slowing down to a stop (not changing gears) -or- when slowly moving forward in stop & go traffic, etc etc???

I see no real purpose for this at all...maybe someone can educate me here. Or are these riders just not "educated" about this....what do they feel is being accomplished???

:think: :think: :think:

I think a number of them have petro stocks in their port folio's. I do know a few that do it to keep it from stalling.

A legitimate reason and I am OK with that ... but .... most scoots on the road will not stall while idling and will not sputter and cough on accel from a stop.

there is no good reason for it . its mostly a cry for attn. if you will take notice next time it is the bikers with the loud pipes that do it for the most part! they seem to think everyone wants to hear there pipes up close and personal. the onley time its helpful is on a down shiftto make a smoother down down shift. the rest of the time its just more wear and tear and heat buildup on the engine.and just a pissoff to those who know it isnt needed.:headache:

I blip the throttle on mine when I'm down shifting to RPM match. Especially on the YZF so it kicks into gear more smoothly and the engine RPM is already up to proper speed so it doesn't have as dramatic an effect when letting the clutch out.

That's my story and I'm sticking too it. :cool10:

there is no good reason for it . its mostly a cry for attn. if you will take notice next time it is the bikers with the loud pipes that do it for the most part! they seem to think everyone wants to hear there pipes up close and personal. the onley time its helpful is on a down shiftto make a smoother down down shift. the rest of the time its just more wear and tear and heat buildup on the engine.and just a pissoff to those who know it isnt needed.:headache:

yes, for the "most part" but I see it happening with many riders ... "crotch rockets", Honda cruisers with quiet pipes, etc etc .... it just makes me wonder where these riders learned that they should be doing that ... did anyone ever stop to tell them it isn't necessary ... I think it's something they've just "picked up on" and figgure ... "this is how yer s'posd to do it" ...

I blip the throttle on mine when I'm down shifting to RPM match. Especially on the YZF so it kicks into gear more smoothly and the engine RPM is already up to proper speed so it doesn't have as dramatic an effect when letting the clutch out.

That's my story and I'm sticking too it. :cool10:

That is also a legitimate reason and I do that as well.

It's like most things - personal preference. Just like how some slow down waaaaayyyyy before a red light and hold up everyone behind them just so they don't have to use the brakes or put their foot down; just like some people like to start threads about things they don't like to bring out all the haters and complainers, because more people will always complain than not because it's human nature; it's all personal preference. I say who cares, doesn't affect me how others ride as long as it's safe. I see it as a petty difference in riding styles.

Yeah ! I do it and I do it for a darn good reason . And I also got LOUD pipes ! I hate them damn BOOM-BOOM jive azz ghetto vibrating sound systems which are in them petty little 'ole pregnant roller skates with a bumble bee farting in a tin can that they call a muffler .

NEED I say MORE ? :stickinouttounge:

BEER30

It's like most things - personal preference. Just like how some slow down waaaaayyyyy before a red light and hold up everyone behind them just so they don't have to use the brakes or put their foot down; just like some people like to start threads about things they don't like to bring out all the haters and complainers, because more people will always complain than not because it's human nature; it's all personal preference. I say who cares, doesn't affect me how others ride as long as it's safe. I see it as a petty difference in riding styles.

This topic I brought up may well be a "petty difference in riding styles" and really, I don't give a dang that they do it ... I brought it up because I really wanted to know if there is some real purpose or justification to it other than those "legit" ones mentioned so far including the stalling or sputtering and coughing which does occur on some scoots. It also make me wonder, if these riders took a course in order to get their license, are the instructors teaching this or are they teaching the students that it's not necessary or just what.

I brought this up coz, quite obviously, I'm sitting here at work rather bored and I happened to notice a rider doing that while I was outside for a smoke ... so I got curious ...

:scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Yeah ! I do it and I do it for a darn good reason . And I also got LOUD pipes ! I hate them damn BOOM-BOOM jive azz ghetto vibrating sound systems which are in them petty little 'ole pregnant roller skates with a bumble bee farting in a tin can that they call a muffler .

NEED I say MORE ? :stickinouttounge:

BEER30

LOL!!! ... so basically what you're sayin is (when you crack the throttle).... "look at me everyone!" :witch_brew:

LOL!!! ... so basically what you're sayin is (when you crack the throttle).... "look at me everyone!" :witch_brew:

Hmmmm... Now that you mention it, that's a GREAT reason to do it! When I'm on a bike I want EVERYONE to see me. Then maybe, just maybe, they won't run my butt over... or off the road.

:shock3:

I believe that this goes back way before the modern motorcycle. The early bikes had such simplistic carbs that just to keep them running you had to do this. I have been riding since 1959, and many of my older bikes needed to be "primed" often to keep them running. Heck, lots of the vehicles I drove had the same problem. My father was a road building contractor, and I can assure you that those fifties era GMC and Ford trucks needed a lot of coaxing.

All that being said, I have no idea why I do the blat, blat, blat now!!! There must be some primoreal reason.

:farmer:

Hmmmm... Now that you mention it, that's a GREAT reason to do it! When I'm on a bike I want EVERYONE to see me. Then maybe, just maybe, they won't run my butt over... or off the road.

:shock3:

ahhhhhhhhhhh finally ... a real legitimate reason! but only good if your pipes are loud enuf.

I believe that this goes back way before the modern motorcycle. The early bikes had such simplistic carbs that just to keep them running you had to do this. I have been riding since 1959, and many of my older bikes needed to be "primed" often to keep them running. Heck, lots of the vehicles I drove had the same problem. My father was a road building contractor, and I can assure you that those fifties era GMC and Ford trucks needed a lot of coaxing.

All that being said, I have no idea why I do the blat, blat, blat now!!! There must be some primoreal reason.

:farmer:

Exactly! . I don't think most have any idea why they do it ... it's "genetics" LOL

Well, add more to this thread or not ... don't matter ... I just figgured it would be an interesting topic to discuss, just in case anyone else was sittin around with not a lot to do LOL

ahhhhhhhhhhh finally ... a real legitimate reason! but only good if your pipes are loud enuf.

Baron 4-2-4's ........................ Great to disgust the cagers on cell phones too !

A plug of chewing tobacco on their windshield or their face (when window is down) get's their attention as well if ya don't have loud pipes either .

BEER30

I'd say,,,,and here we go again,,,but then it's rallytime so it's 'llowed,,,,right???? the 2nd genners don't usually need to do it because they can hear their scoots running,,,now if you is on a 1st gen, that's a different story altogether.

Another reason is that if you have Hal as road captian and you is the tailgunner, you knows exactly when he's ready to take off, so that you can then begin to herd the rest of them back inline.

Well it sounded good when I thought of it,,, or maybe I just like to 'hear' myself talk.