IGNORED

Wind Noise

Larry M

I just purchased a 03RSV a month ago, I had a 86 Venture years ago and didn't notice the wind like I have with the 03, I put a new Clearview Medium windshield with the vent on and it did help some, I have the hoods on all of the front lights (5) and am thinking this might be causing some of the problem and thought I would ask what anyone's thought were before I took them off, I've got the J&M head sets and hear fair at low speeds but just turn the audio off at highway speeds. The hoods look nice but will do without them if this will help!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm a new member and just thought someone might have asked this before, about the light hoods maybe causing more wind noise! I'll be checking the IC settings again..

Larry M

What style of helmet are you wearing? Full face, open face, 3/4, 1/2, beanie?

I wear an open face helmet. I just recently went from a Clearview XXL to a Yammie shorty. I also put a 5 snap shield on my helmet. No more buffeting from the Clearview and no wind noise through the 5 snap shield.

I've got an open face helmet, didn't think it was the helmet but maybe I'm wrong?? Thanks Kross Kountry , that's really what I wanted to hear, didn't want to take the hoods off if I didn't have to! Will try the Mic up, thanks everyone for you input.

Larry M

Thanks again for all the suggestions, yes, I have a windsock, in fact I have a new one that will be putting on and I'll be trying all of the suggestions, haven't been on the bike sense I posted this but do have a couple of rides with a friend out from Montana looking to relocate to this area so thanks again for all the tips and will get back to you letting you know if it's just something I'll have to get used to!

Larry M

Just got back from about a 300 mile ride, found out it wasn't the wind noise, windshield or helmet causing the hearing problem, found out it was the cassette player, the left speaker when in the play mode don't work, everything works fine when in FM, radio mode. So, guess I'll check out the connections on the Cassette player and see if I have a loose wire. At least I know it's not the speakers in the head set! I haven't taken anything apart yet but I'm assuming that the Cassette player, CB and radio is all in one unit?

Thanks again everyone for your tips,

Larry M

Actually, this is a very common, but little known phenomenon. You see, as you approach the speed of sound, the sound waves have a tendency to form a cone projecting out at an angle from the nose of the bike, thereby forming a quieter area around the rider. These speeds, while common with the first generation bikes, are unattainable with the newer second generation models. The only way you may possibly enjoy the same results is if you could somehow get close enough behind a first generation and allow his suction to draft you along in the "quiet zone". But be aware that a sudden side wind can knock you out of the draft and cause you to hit a wall of headwind that could likely destroy your bulkier, more wind resistant second generation design. I hope this explanation helps.

Actually, this is a very common, but little known phenomenon. You see, as you approach the speed of sound, the sound waves have a tendency to form a cone projecting out at an angle from the nose of the bike, thereby forming a quieter area around the rider. These speeds, while common with the first generation bikes, are unattainable with the newer second generation models. The only way you may possibly enjoy the same results is if you could somehow get close enough behind a first generation and allow his suction to draft you along in the "quiet zone". But be aware that a sudden side wind can knock you out of the draft and cause you to hit a wall of headwind that could likely destroy your bulkier, more wind resistant second generation design. I hope this explanation helps.

Yep I agree with this statment,,,, it's all in the bike, but then maybe it's just the tires,,, tires can make a lot of noise, and the faster you go the more you have to deal with. On the other hand, if you go fast enough, the noise will be deflected to slide under the scoot and so will not be heard by the rider, but can be an annoyance for those riding behind the bike in question. That's why some riders put load pipes on their scoots, they just can't seem to be able to attain the speeds necessary to cause this reaction to take place,,,, hence most 1st gens don't need load pipes.

I've posted this before,but if you are having wind noise in your headset,a cheap fix is to find a small balloon or finger cot that fits tight over the mic and put the wind sock back on over the over the top.It will eliminate most or all of the wind noise in your headsets.

I'm not the brightest light on the tree but not that stupid! I thought this was supposed to be a helpful site? All you "explained" wasn't that cute! And, I see Marcarl, who agreed with you also has a first generation ride and someday you both will probably be upgrading to the second or third generation, so before you start belittling the big, bulky, slower rides take a ride on the newer generation, you just might be surprised????

Larry M

I'm not the brightest light on the tree but not that stupid! I thought this was supposed to be a helpful site? All you "explained" wasn't that cute! And, I see Marcarl, who agreed with you also has a first generation ride and someday you both will probably be upgrading to the second or third generation, so before you start belittling the big, bulky, slower rides take a ride on the newer generation, you just might be surprised????

Larry M

Larry

Lighten up, since the beginning of this site, there has always been the 1st gen vs 2nd gen rivalry. For the newer folks on this site, they will have to learn this is all good natured fun. That is one of the reasons this site has always been 'Family' oriented, the ribbing, laughing, and supporting each other through the hard times.

Have a big :bighug:

Larry M

You aint gonna find a more helpful group of people anywhere, ya gotta lighten up alittle, with all the BS going on in this world sometimes its fun to just joke around a bit:rasberry: Craig

Larry

Lighten up, since the beginning of this site, there has always been the 1st gen vs 2nd gen rivalry. For the newer folks on this site, they will have to learn this is all good natured fun. That is one of the reasons this site has always been 'Family' oriented, the ribbing, laughing, and supporting each other through the hard times.

Have a big :bighug:

OOOOOK, guys, I'm sorry and will not take it so personnel in the future, sorry...

:bowdown:

Larry M

Folks....I am a firm believer that anybody who rides a RSV should have the Mic Mutes installed. They are simply fantastic. You can't imagine how much quieter your ride will be when you toggle off those microphones. The music sounds 100% better and the wind and engine noise is almost completely gone.

Folks....I am a firm believer that anybody who rides a RSV should have the Mic Mutes installed. They are simply fantastic. You can't imagine how much quieter your ride will be when you toggle off those microphones. The music sounds 100% better and the wind and engine noise is almost completely gone.

The only noise I need to quiet down is the noise comming from the passengers seat....:rotf::rotfl::rotf:...I'm gonna get my pillow and put it in the doghouse now....:bawling::fnd_(16):p.s. liquid silver is faster....

OK, I'll bite, how exactly do the mic mutes work and where do I get them?? This is the first I've heard of them. Are they a VOX type mute where you have to break vox to be able to talk??

No, they are not VOX. You use the cb push to talk button to turn the mics on or off. The passenger push to talk button will also toggle them. You just momentarily push either button to turn the mics off and push it again to turn them back on. It's AMAZING how much quieter things are with the mics off. I'm telling you, they are a must have for these bikes. Here is a link.

http://mic-mutes.com/

Thanks, I C. So if I understand this correctly, you can have the CB radio on and still not go over the air because your basically just turning on a switch then releasing to have an open communication system then shutting it back off with another push of the button. Would this be correct and yes that sounds very interesting!!

Thanks again.