IGNORED

I finally realized I can't do it

jfoster

I appreciate all the info...I've got the highway pegs, had the mustang seat and swapped it for the comfort cruise from yamaha, which seems to be alittle softer than the corbin. Got the utopia backrest. Its a pretty nice setup. Most likely we tried to do to much at one time. At 38 yoa, there aint no tellin. All I know is it felt like I had just left the principle's office in high school after getting 3 hard licks with a wooden paddle, that wouldn't stop stinging. Didn't help none my buddy's HD RK was getting 47 mpg. Its all good, thanks guys.

After a 2200 mile last week on my 06 RSTD, I realized either I got the wrong bike or I can't do long rides. Primarily my hind-end got the best of me...I hate to give in to defeat but, I think I'm only good for two tanks of gas. One to get there and one to get back. My hat is off to you guys that can ride all day, everyday. As far as seating, I've tried the mustang and currently riding on the comfort-cruise with a utopia back rest. I made the mistake of telling my wife I wanted to try a goldwing next and she said I was in denial, lol.

Try the Corbin. I can ride all day

There's lots of good advice listed above.

All I have to add is to make a frugal decision. I've seen guys invest a lot of money in after market seats only to have the same problem after their money was gone as before they started.

I always approach problems with the most economical means being the first step. If you feel the cushion is too hard, you might want to try a but pad or sheepskin. They make many types of pads, ie. inflatable, memory foam, etc. I have a sheepskin, but I'm not sold on how much comfort it provides. I will try it some more.

Rick's seat mod is great. He combines contouring the seat to redistribute the contact points for your tail bone/sit bones with additional foam. Many here will testify to the increase in comfort.

Four of us all on G2 Ventures travelled 750 miles to Nashville, Tn enroute to Freebird's Maintenance Day. All made the day with no complaints (about seat comfort, that is). Mine and Rick's bike had the seat mod, Goose had the stock seat with butt beads, and Rex had a stock Millenium seat (read hard). Goose and I rode about 1300 miles in 27 hours on the way home with no problems either. Now I know the first edition G2 and RSTD seats are hard, but many ride on them with no alteration.

Borrow a seat from a pal. I know some members who have several types of seats. Make some friends here. I'm sure someone near you will help you out.

Having said all of that, you either have to get used to your seat or try something. Start cheap.

Ponch

OK guys....here is what happened to me.....I've had my bike since the end of last August and it has the stock pillow top seat. I've logged in 400+ miles in one day with no problem in cool/cold weather. My wife and I did our first somewhat long trip last weekend (since it has been hot weather) which was 250 miles one way. It was HOT...about 97 degrees and mostly freeway riding. As you know on the RSV, there is no way to get highway pegs mounted very high because of limited crash bar space....especially if you have vents installed and I do, so if you rest you feet on the pegs, your legs are in somewhat of a downward position. Most of the trip, I was riding with my legs streched out straight with my feet resting on top of my highway pegs. This seemed to put a decent amount of pressure on my inner legs right there at the tank but it seemed tolerable. When we got to our destination, my upper legs had blisters rubbed on them right under the boys! We stayed from Friday to Monday. By Monday, my legs felt much better. On the way home, I didn't strech out and I kept my feet on the stock floor boards all the way home and I didn't have blisters when I got home. I've ordered a Corbin seat and I hope it is built in such a way I can stretch out for long distances without getting blisters on my inner legs.

• 1 month later...

Being new to the RSTD and having has issues with stock seats in the past, I decided to tough it out with the stock seat.

WELLLLL......after a 400 mile day ride on Saturday, I still can't sit back on my tailbone.

So, I'm not very tuff and after lot's of internet searching for opinions, I ordered a 3 piece Ultimat seat this morning.

I'm a sissy ok????????? but I love to ride so it's worth the price to me. :97:

some of the road trips, have 8 to 11 gas ups a day (2 up pulling a trailer)

when we want to spend more time on lacation. but once we are there. we walk around alot. everyonce in a while we'll jump on the bike, for a little tour around the area.

2010 we are riding up to lake george, for the Americade. 1700 miles each way

we plan to leave on may 27th, and take 4 days to get up there. hang around for 5 days, then head home.

Then in July 2010 were are doing little sturgis, In KY. not that long of a ride, something to the effect of 1200 miles one way. two easy, 600 mile days, hang for 4 days, then head home, down the coast line.

Heres is the bottom line. I find, the heavyer I got, the harder it is for me to ride long distances. so I'm joining a GYM, to get my self back into better shape, maybe hit a pool for laps, to loosen up this old bones.

kind of makes if hard to enjoy a trip, when your sore and tired.

Do you have a backrest? I can tell you and many here will attest that without a backrest 2 to 300 miles is all you'll get out of an enjoyable ride before fatigue sets in. The 1st 2 things I put on every bike I get is a backrest and highway pegs.

There is lots of good info here on this thread, I have heard great things about Rick Butler and the magic he performs on seats. He makes a tailbone relief in them and I know several people here that say it's night and day as far as long range comfort. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet, if you dont have a backrest....get one, and PM Rick to get your seat modified :thumbsup2:

Squid has it right! Until I had Rick do the seat on my 06 I could not go more than 300 miles despite numerous rest stops. This riding season has been heaven! I have the Utopia backrest but have NOT put it on the bike. That seat mod did the trick for me. Longest ride to date was over 800 miles when I did Vermont Thunder....In the saddle at 6AM and home at 11PM.

Boomer........who only looks back to see if the Law is chasing him.

Just a word - my .02 worth - as I lost quite a bit of money when re-selling my Mustang "seat" after one long miserably uncomfortable trip. IN my opinion, the stock seat is a better seat than the Mustang (unless you like being crammed against the gas tank and riding on concrete). I guess I am on a one man crusade against Mustang seats, but in my opinion they truly suck. As for other comments, I usually make one long summer trip per year (from Mississippi up through Wyoming, etc., into Glacier NP and into Canada was my last one), and a backrest is worth its weight in gold! The backrest is all I miss about the Mustang.

Take your time. Stop often.

I have to give Rick Butler some props here, too. His work made a huge difference to my ride and, as Ponch noted, a good method to search for a problem's solution is too do the least expensive fixes first. Rick does great work for a great price.

That said, I do still have a problem with my seat cover. I believe the vinyl covered seat causes chafing after a long ride. My solution is the sheep-skin cover which I have'nt found yet. If anyone knows where to get one, help a brother out! Lol!

In Rick's defense, in case anyone thinks he didn't fix my problem, I couldn't stay in the saddle long enough to feel the chafing issue before. I had ridden 300 mile days before but in great discomfort. Since the re-build, I've ridden over 500 miles in a day. I've been riding a little over a year now and I'm in my young 50's. :)

The RSTD is as comfortable of a MC as you'll find, I believe.

I guess you've never ridden a ST1100 on a long trip.

I flew out to Chicago from NJ several years ago to pick up one a friend bought on Ebay. Rode from Chicago to Indiana, spent the night, and rode to NJ the next day. When I got home I tossed the keys to my VR to him and said "let's go for a ride, you can take my bike."

Yes, that good.

Rick Butler's seat mods SAVED me!!

Our trip from the Midwest to West Coast and back was Wonderful. There were quite a few gas stops that I didn't even get off the bike!!

No more sore tail bone, like I had during last years trip from Omaha to the east coast & back.

I can't say enough about his mods.

craigr

I have a Gold Wing and let me tell you straight up... The seat sucks and isnt worth a dang..

I rode 13 hours one day and the next day I rode 14 1/2 hours straight on my 05 Venture .

If I ride more then two hours on this GW, my butt is killing me..I have to stop and walk around to get the blood circulating in my cheeks, or I have to stand up on th efoot pegs and do cheek exersises.........

I use the beads and a padded seat and niether is worth a darn..

Nothing helps with the wing seat. You can read up on Gold Wing seats on most any Gold Wing Site and you will find most every honest rider does state they do not like the comfort of the GW seat..

So dont think looking at a Gold Wing you will be able to ride longer...

It would be a very expensive mistake...........:thumbsup2:

I have a Gold Wing and let me tell you straight up... The seat sucks and isnt worth a dang..

I rode 13 hours one day and the next day I rode 14 1/2 hours straight on my 05 Venture .

If I ride more then two hours on this GW, my butt is killing me..I have to stop and walk around to get the blood circulating in my cheeks, or I have to stand up on th efoot pegs and do cheek exersises.........

I use the beads and a padded seat and niether is worth a darn..

Nothing helps with the wing seat. You can read up on Gold Wing seats on most any Gold Wing Site and you will find most every honest rider does state they do not like the comfort of the GW seat..

So dont think looking at a Gold Wing you will be able to ride longer...

It would be a very expensive mistake...........:thumbsup2:

After having both a 1500 and then an 1800 GW, I completely agree with Eck with regards to the drivers seat. Mama loved the passenger seat but I never did get real comfortable on either seat.

With me I think it had a lot to do with the peg location and my short butt legs not being able to straddle the fairing for highway pegs although the 1800 was a bit better with a narrower fairing.

Lot's of discussions on GW forums about aftermarket seats that's for sure.:big-grin-emoticon:

Try this one...cheap and easy. Gel seats can cost close to $200, but if you stop at a tack shop take a look at the gel seat cushions made for a saddle. So far it has worked for me and it only cost $30. It stays put as long as your on it and when you get off it's easy to toss in the side bags.

I just got back from 3 day ride. I experiented with the position of the pad. I found that moveing it forward, so that more weight was center on my thye's instead of

the rear of my rear end it helped a lot.

I found that the pad was slideing rearwards in the corbin seat, causeing discomfort.

I stopped and moved the pad forward in the seat, and took off, and was surprised at the improvement. which seemed to be immediate.

Did I explaine that correctly ?? Anyway, it was a good 900 mile 3 day trip to NoWhere! and back.

I saw a LOT!!! of road Repairs along the way!! And drove on lots of newly just layed down this summer black top. Smooth, Quiet rideing, to say the least.

I guess the TARP money is doing a little good, in a few places.

its an age thing. there is no way around it. no doubt all the suggestions given, help a bit but its natures way of telling you to take a break. in my younger days i could have ridden a bike with a 'wooden seat' for the whole day, but things have changed with age. i have a similar problem too, and one of the reasons why i don't think of taking very long trips. listen to your body. everybody can't run marathons. more so as they age. enjoy riding while you can and be careful out on the road. our reflexes are not as good as they used to be either.:2cents:

:7_6_3[1]::beer::canada:

i bought the ultimate seat and have not had the opportunity for a long ride yet, but so far on the day rides it has performed vrey well. still, i like to take more breaks than others might just because i'm 54 and i figure if i have to get there that fast, i should have left earlier. ride safe and be cool, thumper1