IGNORED

Royal Star Venture questions......

I have been a rider for over twenty-five years. My wife and I would like to step up our riding and do more longer range trips. Currently I have a Road King Custom but considering the Royal Star Venture. Seems like everyone that has one is totally happy with it.

Can anyone answer these questions:

1. What is the chance of a fuel injection version for 2010?

2. Generation I is 1983 thru 1993....What is gen II and is there a III?

3. Is the RPM range at 60mph about 2850?

4. Any riders have any pros or cons about this bike?

Thanks for your help

1) If they keep the same design I would say the chance of fuel injection is 0.

2) 2 Gen is 1999 to 2009 and the only change they have made to the Venture is paint color and the optional cd player is standard on the 2009. There is not a 3rd Gen. at this time but a lot of people are hoping it will come out in 2010. But that was the big hope for 2009.

3) Does not come with a tach so I have no idea.

4) Pro's... Great bike been around for a while. Solid, dependable bike. Lots of over priced parts out there for it. Used parts available. Great forum's with great people that are willing to help. Lot's of room.

Con's... Is top heavy at slow parking lot speeds (there is a fix if you are tall enough). Some bikes have a high pitched whining noise at certain RPM's. Nothing wrong just the nature of the beast. Have to take it to Yamaha for warranty work.:yikes:

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.:thumbsup2:

I have been a rider for over twenty-five years. My wife and I would like to step up our riding and do more longer range trips. Currently I have a Road King Custom but considering the Royal Star Venture. Seems like everyone that has one is totally happy with it.

From what I understand,, EPA regs will pretty much mandate FI for 2010

2nd gen is 1999 to current

Not sure, depends what gear, maxing out in 2nd, easy in 3rd and 4th, barely need to be in 5th at 60 mph (esp indicated 60)

4. Any riders have any pros or cons about this bike?:Venture:

Big, easy rider, love this bike to death. Doesn't vibrate to wear you out, quiet enough to hear the stereo. Great standard eqpt. package. V-4 goes forever, my last one had 154,000 mile when I sold it, still running great.

Thanks for your help

I'll tell you one thing tibedoe, if your wife gets on a Venture you will be stuck. I've ridden Ultras, Wings and now the RSV and there is no comparrison as far as my wife is concerned. She loves everything about it from the looks to the ride. My auto mechanic just sold his '07 Wing and bought an '09 RSV. He doesn't regret it. This is the 5th bike I've owned and I can honestly say it's the best bike I've ever owned. I know there are a lot of people who swear by FI but I like to do most of my own work so I'm happy with the carbs. I know them and can work on them.

If you decide to buy one I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you did.:Venture:

IMHO, stop and go and parking lot slow speed handling is somewhat heavy, but still better than a Goldwing or BMW LT.

Very roomy and comfortable for both rider and passenger.

Stereo system and intercom electronics are not the best.

EPA rules change for 2010, I do not believe the current Venture configuration will pass the 2010 requirements. If not, they will either have to fuel inject it, or drop it.

4. Any riders have any pros or cons about this bike?

Thanks for your help

Others have done a great job of answering your questions... So I will just add my 1.5 cents worth.

After owning Several Goldwings, a Harley Road king, Kawasaki Vulcan and several other bikes years ago.... The RSV has them all beat.

You will find the RSV to be much smoother then the RK... and have more room to stretch out. Gas Mileage is better... Wind Protection is MUCH better and the RSV is almost maintenance free in comparison to the RK. Its also hard to beat the 5 year unlimited miles warranty.

You asked about the RPM at 60MPH... I don't know what it turns... but its like Apples and oranges anyway. Your RK makes its power at LOW Rpm and is barely idling at Hwy speeds... The RSV is a 4 cyl with shorter stroke and makes its power at Higher RPM. When you first ride it you will feel its a dog by comparison... But as soon as you start to Rev it higher in between gears it will surprise you. In my opinion it will easily out excelerate the RK.

In my worthless opinion there is nothing offered that beats the RSV in Comfort, Style and dependability. This will most likely be the last bike I ever buy. Mine is a 2001 with only 26K on it. I purchased it this year and fully expect to run it to 150K or more. :Venture:

Try it and you won't go back.

Reaney in NH

I have an 07. It's only my second bike, and my first touring sized one. I test drove an ElectraGlide around the Harley dealer parking lot for 5 or 10 minutes and the vibration had me thinking my elbows would be mush after a few years.

The RSV is quiet, so if you're into loud pipes, plan on some aftermarket stuff, I guess. I'm more into hearing the IPOD or the intercom personally.

It did take some getting used to as far as the top-heavy feel. A few hours of Ride Like a Pro practice will take care of that... using combinations of trail brake (rear brake), throttle, and clutch will help handle that beast through parking lots, uturns, etc. Once your up to speed, it definately doesnt feel top heavy... nuttin but smooth power.

My only complaint really is that I don't have enough miles on it, but that's my fault i suppose.

Good luck with your decision, which ever way it goes.

I have an 08 and love it. I purchased it new in August of 08 and it presently has 7800 miles on it. Some of us feel like the stock handle bars could have a little more pull back to them and we either install another set of bars or some bar risers. When I first got mine, I could ride a couple of hundred miles and be fine but if I rode further than that, I would get a slight pain between my shoulder blades in my upper back. I installed an after market handlebar that looked stock but brought the grips 2 inches closer to me and now I can ride several hundred miles in one day and feel fine at days end. My wife loves it too. It also comes with a 5 year transferable unlimited mileage warranty. I have no problem getting 42 miles per gallon. One thing I wish Yamaha would do is install some vents in the front lower cowling....the one that goes around the radiator. There is a set that will bolt on to the small crash bar but IMHO I don't think they are adequate. I live in GA and we can see summer temps in the 100 deg + range and the heat coming off the engine can get really hot on your legs......but that is really good in the winter. If you get it, you will like it!!

Thanks for all the good info on the RSV. I belive I am ready to switch to a true tourer that not only looks really good, but must ride like a dream. I am sure my wife will like is as much or even more than I.

If anyone else has any comments either good or bad...I look forward to reading them and adding this info to my research.

It will be a tough wait but I want to see if they add FI and redo the "midnight" version (my favorite) of them all!!!!

Thanks

I have both an '03 Ultra Classic and an '07 RSV. I just took the RSV out today for the first time in a couple of weeks (battery was dead and just got a replacement). I have been riding the Ultra most of the time. When I got on the RSV I was quickly reminded how much more comfortable it is than the Ultra. Smoother, more leg room and handles just as well at speed. I think the Harley is easier to handle at low speed in traffic but not enough to make a difference. Take one for a test ride and see for yourself. :2cents:

Im on my second venture(Gen 1..now Gen 2).I researched the RSV and almost bought a "wing".I am sooo glad i didnt,im in love with my bike and the thought of putting as many miles as i can on it. Just keep in touch with VR and all your concerns can and will be addressed here.....BUY IT,RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!...LOL

tibadoe, you must be from La with that name. the guys from a forum on delphi are having a meet in waynsboro, Va on july 4th weekend. you are welcome to come and visit and see a few venture there. check it out here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/vrider/messages

i had an 01 venture for 1 1/2 yrs and 15,000 miles but totaled it. i also have a 01 royal star blvd that i bought new in 01 and has 67,000 trouble-free miles on it. wife and i went to sturgis in 04 on the venture pulling my trailer with all our camping gear and clothes in it. didn't hardly know it was there. wife loved the back seat and being able to do a lot of looking around. you can go on the yamaha web site and see where they offer test rides(sturgis, mb and other rallys). hope you find what you want.

the web site for the dealer in cornth, Ms that has low prices(prices on web site is otd);

www.lakehillmotors.com i bought my 01 rs blvd from them, great guys.

I have the RSTD '06...I really like it. The cons I've had is that the speedometer is slow. Mine was about 6 mph slow, easily fixed with the speedohealer, the gearbox whine, and there is not alot of aftermarket accessories. Pros, 5 Year warranty, very smooth ride, plenty of power for two up riding at 70 mph, alot of metal (for those that don't like plastic), and I think Yamaha has a lower hourly service rate than what I've heard from HD dealers. I've sat on the Ventures and was not to sure about the factory seat, other than that I wished now I would have went with the Venture for the fairing, radio, intercom, trunk, etc. I had the fever for an electra glide and rode an 06 for about 10-15 minutes on an open highway and was not really impressed and was happy to get back on my RSTD. The ride was rougher on the HD, but it did like the lower RPM range at highway speeds.

It will be a tough wait but I want to see if they add FI and redo the "midnight" version (my favorite) of them all!!!!

Thanks

They have not made the midnight since 2007 and the 2007 didn't have the studded seats which in my opinion added to the look of the midnight. I personally don't think there will be a 2010 Venture (at least a 2nd Gen) Yamaha has released their 2010 line up and the Venture was not listed. They could add it at any time but I think they will eventually come out with another tourer.

Not to be the rain drop on the parade....

The 2 cons I have (btw are EASILY remedied) are the lack of standard rear lighting and the crappy tires. Plan to put on new tires by 10,000 (+/-) miles.

Everything else about this bike is great.

I have 23,000 maintenance free miles on my 07.

Change oil regularly, add gas and ride.

I would suspect FI next year and that should increase mpg, which for many is 40mpg +

It did take some getting used to as far as the top-heavy feel. A few hours of Ride Like a Pro practice will take care of that... using combinations of trail brake (rear brake), throttle, and clutch will help handle that beast through parking lots, uturns, etc. Once your up to speed, it definately doesnt feel top heavy... nuttin but smooth power.

You can completely remove that top-heavy feel simply by getting rid of those horrible stock Brickstone tires! You didn't say if you have the Brickstones or Dunlop D404s, but I'm betting on the Brickstones. There are many things wrong with those tires, but the most obvious is how that fat ugly lump in the front tries to force the front wheel all the way to one side as soon as you start a low speed turn.

That is all that causes the heavy feel - you are constantly having to push quite hard back against the bar to prevent the forks from flopping all the way to full lock and dumping the bike. Putting either Avon Venom or Dunlop E3 tires in stock size on the bike will absolutely astound you in how much the handling improves! It is awful hard for most people to pull off a tire with lots of rubber on it, but you really need to do that if you have Brickstones on the RSV.

This problem can also be greatly improved by raising the rear of the bike 1" with the DiamondR Leveling Links. Even that horrible Brickstone front tire handles much better with this mod, and I highly recommend it for everyone who is not already too short for the bike. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Here's a link. No pictures though but what a surprise they list a 2010 Royal Star Venture now. I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2010models/2010models-yamaha.htm

:fingers-crossed-emo

I think that web site is just a search engine trap with no real inside knowledge of anything. The Yamaha and Star web sites have nothing on the 2010 lineup yet, and I haven't seen anything yet elsewhere that looks factual.

The internet has gotten to the point where half the web sites aren't real content providers anymore. Those sites have lots of buzz words and links to other web sites and make money (at a penny a click) to web sites that actually sell something. Think of them as the doorman you have to tip in order to get in to the restaurant where you have to leave a tip with the Maitre de to get a table, to eventually get some food.

I must agree with most of everything mentioned. I have ridden for 30+ yrs on all types of bikes. BMW to light and straight up for two on long rides. Honda GW bottom heavy at slow speed and wants to pull over when turning slow, sit straight up, too much electronics for me, no room to move in riding position. HD nice bike, vibrates all the time, and have to definately have to install riding pegs to get confortable foot positions. Usually get tired after a few hndred miles (300 or so) or these models and pit stops get longer as the day and miles roll by.

Now the 08 RSV I started riding last August. Very confortable, nice balance at low and high speed. Love the set and leg position without having to make any modifications. Water cooled means few if no engine problems. Yamaha is one MFG that throughly tests products, many times for years before making a change to get it right. After first 800 miles, made 1200 mile round trip to Nebraska and back. Was not tired and have made this trip twice since with the same confort. 6'2" 270# and I ride hard. Wife loves to ride and also feels this is the best riding MC we have had in years. She can sleep confortably and feels very secure on the back.

One last thing even though I still like the HD's, it seems on any long ride, miles-days-whatever if there is a problem with a MC it is usually a Harley. (USUALLY)

I am very glad I purchased the RSV.

I'm sure you have heard enough about how the RSV and RSTD will beat the Harley hands down, but I think this Venture group might be a little biased. I will tell you though that I have recently taken a test ride on a 2009 Harley Ultra-glide and to be honest I was very dissappointed in the bike, especially when you consider the price of the machine. Here is a short list of the issues I had:

1. Vibration!: I rode the bike for 20 minutes of so and thought my filling were going to fall out!

2. Comfort: I stand about 5'10"( depending on which 7eleven I an leaving at the time) and I felt like I was riding a little honda trail 50. The seat it self was comfortable but the positioning of the floorboards was not ideal for my 30" inseam.

3. Power: Alot of the Harley guys say they ride a HOG for the sound, the last time I checked you can't ride the sound, you ride the bike! Besides I believe I read somewhere that Harley actually retards their timing to get that sound taking away from the horsepower. The Royal Star platform has alot more power and torque (at least it feels that way) and it is 250cc's smaller!

Okay I ranted enough for now and should probably get back to work. I will say the Harley has a great looking bike, but for being in the Motorcycle business for as long as they have you would think technology wise that they would be somewhere out of the stoneage!

Dave

2005 RSTD

5' 10"

30" inseam

280# (yea, yea)

05 Midnight Venture

20+year rider

So I recently moved from an 1100 VSTAR to the 05 Venture.

- The Venture is smooth and comfortable.

- First bike where I wont have to buy a Corbin Seat (although they are awesome).

- First bike my wife WANTS to ride with me on.

- Way plenty power riding two up

- Easy to maintain on your own if thats your thing

- Added Bub Slip-on's, sounds great and can still hear the awesome sound system

- Storage space amazes me every time I load up

but...

- Yep, took a while to get used to the new dynamics of this much heavier bike. After a short bit of time with it, u-turns no prob again but it is heavy and I felt and still feel like I cant toss it around the twisties like I did my Vstar. I'm reasearching the "fixes" here.

- I like the bigger tank but because I cant help but beat on it (smooth and fast is tough to ignore) I'm getting ~33mpg

I have no idea about the comparison to your Harley but the Venture stand on it's own as a great deal and a great local and long distance rider.

....and everyone knows Midnights are better! :Im not listening to

If you look for a used 2nd gen, remember there was a Carb Change around 2001 or 2001, ( not sure of exact year ) . Earlier ones had I believe 26MM carbs and the later had 32 MM carbs. There is a Horse Power Difference. It is substantial.

If you are into Electrical Add On's, figure on spending about $150.00 and a few hours of work to Upgrade the Electrical Stator. ( 30 amp Stock, to about 40 to 45 amps for the aftermarket unit )

Also, the entire Electrical system is quite complicated, so be ready to deal with that.

There is also the issue of dealing with the Carb Throttle Linkage, and keeping it Syncronized. ( figure on buying a Morgan Carb Tune ) However for an experinced rider this should be not problem.

I ride a 1st gen, which is quite different, except for the Engine. I also ride my brother in laws Harley's ( 97 FLH, and 2003 Springer quite often )

I can honestly state you will love the HorsePower. !! You just have to get used to runnning at 3 to 4 thousand RPM, instead of 1800 to 2200 RPM. ie: much more shifting is required.

Red Line on these engines, is about 7000 RPM !! You will love that !!!!!

There are a few minor problems, but All the Info and fixes concerning those is " HERE " And the cost of doing

those fixes and upgrades is far less then the Sales Tax, on a New Harley !!!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I came from a 99 Vulcan 1500 Classic that I thought was smooth & powerful. I planned to take a trip from Omaha, NE to the East coast & back and thought a full tourer and new is what I needed. Since Ma Kaw didn't have a tourer, I looked at the Goldwing, (just didn't feel old enough for one), and the Venture. My wife fell in love with the looks and the seat of a 2007 Venture. I took it for a 15 minute test ride in town & on a highway. We ended up buying it.

On the way home, I discovered that the riding position bothered a bad disc in my back and things started going numb. Once I was on the bike for very long, I HAD to stop. Also, I wasn't happy with the power. My Vulcan would eat it up.

I started reading this and the Delphi forums and was really griping about this 'pig' & how I made a HUGE mistake in buying it. Everyone started suggesting things to make it more comfortable for me. After a set of handlebar risers and a backrest, I was comfortable as sitting in my recliner at home. - THEN they told me that as for the power, I must be riding it wrong. They told me that you can't ride it like a V-Twin, and to REVVVVV the bike. So, I took it to an on ramp and layed into it like a 17 year old and the bike was like a rocket. There is NOOOOO way my old 1500 could keep up with this bike. Get her over 80 or so, and she feels like a race horse that I'm trying to hold back!!

My brother in law bought a 105 Anniverary Road King and teased me about my bike only being a 1300 and his being a 1600 - until we hit the Interstate & about 80ish. I walked away from him and even 'played' about it!!

I haven't ridden with a Goldwing yet but I hear they have awesome power also. AND, being a Honda, I'm sure the craftsmanship and quality is tops. I'm still in my mid 40s and just don't feel old enough for one yet. Maybe when I hit 60 or so :)

craigr