IGNORED

Lets talk Underwear...

Reaney in NH

I know it may be a odd subject... But I need to know.

What do you guys wear for underwear on a long road trip? We are planning a 4000 mile ride this summer in early August thru the midwest. Its going to be HOT and sweat will be a problem.

Cotton underwear just doesn't cut it. What do you recommended and why?

Thank you

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lately, I've been thinking the same type of thing. I'm a briefs man (I know too much information) and I notice that, on hot days, it seems that right where the leg seam is that is where it starts getting hot and hurting. I was thinking of going to the longer boxer briefs and see what happens with those.

On another note, you may try some bead rider beads (or get some beads at Wally World and make your own). These allow cooling air under your tail and keep you somewhat cooler as well as alleviating some of the butt fatigue.

Another idea is sheepskin seat covers.

Just some thoughts.

Lately, I've been thinking the same type of thing. I'm a briefs man (I know too much information) and I notice that, on hot days, it seems that right where the leg seam is that is where it starts getting hot and hurting. I was thinking of going to the longer boxer briefs and see what happens with those.

On another note, you may try some bead rider beads (or get some beads at Wally World and make your own). These allow cooling air under your tail and keep you somewhat cooler as well as alleviating some of the butt fatigue.

Another idea is sheepskin seat covers.

Just some thoughts.

I too am a Brief man and they will get you real sore after several hours in the Saddle. I use the long briefs and they are better... but tend to be Warmer in warm weather.

My Thoughts are to use some sort of wicking material... But I have no clue on whats available or recommended.

The beads you mention are great and I do use them sometimes.

So... Come on guys... What DO YOU WEAR?:missingtooth:

I actually bought a couple pair of sports type underwear. They have padding in them in the crucual areas and make a huge difference for me.

Are these the type that are made for bicycling that have the extra padding in the seat area?

Guest BluesLover

Under Armour HeatGear in the summer (I prefer the ones with a longer leg, reduces chafing). Under Armour ColdGear in the spring and fall.

Cheers,

I know it may be a odd subject... But I need to know.

What do you guys wear for underwear on a long road trip? We are planning a 4000 mile ride this summer in early August thru the midwest. Its going to be HOT and sweat will be a problem.

Cotton underwear just doesn't cut it. What do you recommended and why?

Thank you

Thongs, G-String or butt floss:rotfl::rotfl::doh::witch_brew:

+1 on Gold Bond in the shorts.

As for shorts, look for wicking material (Under Armour or knockoff equivalent) with no seams across the butt bones. The seams will get to you after a while.

The other advantage of this material is that you can wash them in the sink and they will dry overnight hung on the shower curtain (or over a limb if you are camping).

RR

Guest Saddletramp

Compression shorts such as mentioned with gold-bond medicated powder. Under Armour is a well known brand but there are others.

Boxer briefs on a long ride for me instead of the normal jockey briefs, but I'd like to try the bicycle type shorts and under armor type shorts. I'm betting they would work well.

On the top I "discovered" the $5 generic wicking or dry shirts from Wally World two years ago and love them. They seem to keep me dry longer and when wet they dry out quickly. I seem to stay cooler with the wicking shirt layered with another T-Shirt than I do with just a T-Shirt.

Ditto on the washing them out int he sink and air drying over night. Bonus points if you hang them outside in the breeze for a fresh clean smell. (I don't care what dryer sheets I use, they can't beat my mom's clothsline for great smelling clothes!)

If you haven't tried the wicking shirts, give them a try, I'm sure you will be impressed.

Commando for me.:moon: Hey, you asked!:no-no-no: Seriously, I find it more comfortable in the warmer weather, no monkey butt problems.

My husband, Alan, tried that and accidently sat on his right one !!:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

He now finds boxer shorts or bicycle shorts the best way to go.

Us ladies have a similar problem--sitting on knicker elastic for 2-4 hours is like sitting on a barb wire fence :sign67::headache::headache::rotf::rotf:

Tri-shorts are very similar to bike shorts, but have a much smaller and lighter chamois (pad) in them.

I do triathlons.. where you swim, then bike, then run. Tri-shorts are meant to be worn in all 3 sections of a race, provide padding for the HARD bike seats (trust me, 112 miles on a bicycle is MUCH MUCH different than 112 miles on a motorcycle), but also be cool/wicking and not soak up a lot of water on the swim. They are thin, comfortable, cool, and the seams are not anywhere that chaffs.

Any triathlon store or good running shoe store that sells apparel will know what you are talking about.. and if they don't have it, they will likely be able to direct you to the right place.

They will also likely recommend a product called Chamois BUTTr. Which is a skin lubricant. Wonderful stuff.

And, gentlemen... the ladies will love your legs in them.:rotfl:(if you really want to look authentic, racers tend to shave their legs).