IGNORED

Important: check this out if you have a Yamaha locking gas cap...

Blackjack

I was riding the V-Star Saturday, on my way over to meet folks for lunch at Bobby's BBQ (Augusta M&E) and had to stop for the first gas-up of the day. Imagine my horror when I stuck the key in the cap and discovered it was loose-fitting, and worse, would not come off!

Eventually, I was able to maneuver the cap off, with a part or two spilling into my hand. To my dismay, I discovered that one of the two screws holding the whole assembly together was missing and the other one was quite loose. Well, not missing, exactly, because it was likely in the bottom of the tank, in a place that I could not possibly get to.

I disassembled the cap completely because it was obvious that other parts might be missing or dislodged. Thankfully, I was able to put it all back together and make it operational again. Because the screw was fairly long (well over an inch) and I was in the middle of nowhere, I determined to continue the ride, thinking it highly unlikely that a screw that size could possibly wiggle its' way beyond the tank. An hour or so later I arrived intact at the meeting place, just a couple of minutes ahead of everyone else.

After lunch, when we were all just about to head our separate ways home, I told my little tale to Bryan and mentioned that he might want to check his gas cap. Sure enough, a screw was missing on his gas cap, as well!

So, this is just a little heads-up: you might want to pull out a phillips head screwdriver, pull off the gas cap, turn it bottom side up, and make sure the two screws are sufficiently tightened.

TERRY

I was riding the V-Star Saturday, on my way over to meet folks for lunch at Bobby's BBQ (Augusta M&E) and had to stop for the first gas-up of the day. Imagine my horror when I stuck the key in the cap and discovered it was loose-fitting, and worse, would not come off!

Eventually, I was able to maneuver the cap off, with a part or two spilling into my hand. To my dismay, I discovered that one of the two screws holding the whole assembly together was missing and the other one was quite loose. Well, not missing, exactly, because it was likely in the bottom of the tank, in a place that I could not possibly get to.

I disassembled the cap completely because it was obvious that other parts might be missing or dislodged. Thankfully, I was able to put it all back together and make it operational again. Because the screw was fairly long (well over an inch) and I was in the middle of nowhere, I determined to continue the ride, thinking it highly unlikely that a screw that size could possibly wiggle its' way beyond the tank. An hour or so later I arrived intact at the meeting place, just a couple of minutes ahead of everyone else.

After lunch, when we were all just about to head our separate ways home, I told my little tale to Bryan and mentioned that he might want to check his gas cap. Sure enough, a screw was missing on his gas cap, as well!

So, this is just a little heads-up: you might want to pull out a phillips head screwdriver, pull off the gas cap, turn it bottom side up, and make sure the two screws are sufficiently tightened.

TERRY

A little blue lok-tite is a good addition...

randy:whistling:

Yeah, I believe it was Eck that brought something like this up awhile back. I, immediately, went out and took the screws off of mine and used a little blue loc-tite on them.

I'm wondering if you couldn't use a magnet on a telescoping rod and run it around your tank to see if you can pick up the lost screw. Who knows what else you might find in there too. :sign20:

Y

I'm wondering if you couldn't use a magnet on a telescoping rod and run it around your tank to see if you can pick up the lost screw. Who knows what else you might find in there too.

And if you cant see what your doing in there......light a match............:rotf:

Just kidding....I don't want someone trying that and getting hurt. :thumbsup2:.

I'm wondering if you couldn't use a magnet on a telescoping rod and run it around your tank to see if you can pick up the lost screw. Who knows what else you might find in there too.

And if you cant see what your doing in there......light a match............:rotf:

Just kidding....I don't want someone trying that and getting hurt. :thumbsup2:.

You'd be surprised at how many people wouldn't think twice about that... I knew a guy that used a Bic lighter to try and look into a 55 gallon barrel of lacquer thinner to see how much was left.... Afterwards not much of the skin was left on his face, hands and chest...

Anyway... Thanks for the tip.. I'll be checking both my bikes this evening...

Edited by similost

I just checked the gas cap and yes the darn screws were loose!

It is tips like this that really make one appreciate this Site!!!

Boomer.....going through his 3rd tube of Blue LocTite now......and who will not go boom using a lighter near the gas tank.:hihi:

I'm wondering if you couldn't use a magnet on a telescoping rod and run it around your tank to see if you can pick up the lost screw. Who knows what else you might find in there too. :sign20:

If the tank was plastic or aluminum, you may be able to do that. With a steel tank you could never maneuver the magnet around without it attaching to the tank.

RandyA

If the tank was plastic or aluminum, you may be able to do that. With a steel tank you could never maneuver the magnet around without it attaching to the tank.

RandyA

Very good point there RandyA.

On the other hand, how about using a magent, on the outside of the tank, with a cloth between it and the tank, and try to pull the screw up from the bottom to the opening.

Just another thought since you burst my bubble!! :bawling: :Bunny:

Venture, V-Star, Katana, V-Strom. All bottomed, but none snug. More Blue stuff. Must be a industry thing.

You see! This don't happen with Harleys! Just thought I'd throw that in. Gotta stick up for our brothers...

You see! This don't happen with Harleys! Just thought I'd throw that in. Gotta stick up for our brothers...

Well, sure, it also doesn't happen with a 1st Gen, but I didn't think it would be necessary to mention that...

:cool10:

TERRY

So yer sayin parts don't vibrate off them Harleys?:rotf:

Boomer.....who has dodged more Harley parts than potholes on the road.:whistling:

So---- we're finally getting acknowledgement that 2nd gen riders really DO have a screw or two loose!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: :witch_brew:

Darn tootin..........and proud of it too.

Boomer.....who's good at outrunning those guys with the white coats.