IGNORED

Skeptical after all noise complaints

I have been looking at buying a venture for months. I really like the 2007 blue. However, after reading all the posts on here about noise problems with these bikes, I am a bit concerned.

How likely is it that I will have a problem with noise issues if I buy a 2007 venture? Has anyone figured out a way to really cure the problem? I don't want to end up with a bike that I can't stand to ride because of an irritating noise. Can some people with experience help me out with this? Thank you.

I have an '07 and the noises it makes are not enough to bother me. It may only be the normal gear noise but I think it does have some of the 'Jetson car' chirp noise. But again, it's not enough that I even notice usually.

And yes, some people are more sensitive to it than others.

I can only advise you to take a good test ride, covering at least 10 miles and including highway speeds so you can listen to the bike you are about to buy and decide for yourself.

Frankly, I think very few of these bikes have an obnoxious whine. But some obviously do. Even though you think you see a lot of discussion of it here, I disagree. The few owners who really have the problem are certainly going to post and ask about it - maybe that is the only thing that drove them to find our site at all. It is highly unlikely that many owners that do NOT have the problem are just going to spontaneously find a forum and start posting that they don't have any problems! I have worked on a lot of these bikes, and I have yet to hear one where I noticed the whine when I reved it, even when bending over the engine and listening for it.

If you go back and look at EVERY post here about the whine and start writing down the name of every person who says they have it, I doubt you would even get 50. I don't know for sure; because, I have never done that. But I still maintain there are very few of these bikes with that problem. All engines make some internal noises. I'm sure you have heard the whine a big truck makes as they run up through the gears. Metal-to-metal contact makes noise. The only issue is if the natural engine noise is loud enough or at a frequency to be obnoxious and spoil your ownership. We all know that has happened with some of these bikes, and I feel for those owners. But I still think the number is low and the chance of a new bike having the problem is slight. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks for posts guys. I have ridden more than 10 miles on test rides with some venture, and thought the noise was minimal. I'm looking at a used 2007 with about 4,500 miles on it. I can buy it for $11,000. Does this sound like a good price, or should I be paying less? The bike looks very nice, like new, except for 1 small srcatch on saddle bag.

Thanks for posts guys. I have ridden more than 10 miles on test rides with some venture, and thought the noise was minimal. I'm looking at a used 2007 with about 4,500 miles on it. I can buy it for $11,000. Does this sound like a good price, or should I be paying less? The bike looks very nice, like new, except for 1 small srcatch on saddle bag.

Sounds like a pretty good price, where else are you gonna get a used bike, with all the comfort and features with a full warranty till 2012 for 11grand? Go for it!! Craig

If it doesn't have the whine, that sounds pretty decent, depending on what accessories it might have. I have not actually checked resale value on that bike to be sure, but the price is certainly in the ballpark. You don't really have to worry about any other issues since you will still have 2-3 years of the unlimited mileage warranty to take care of anything you find. The only thing else I might suggest is to take the VIN to a Yamaha shop service desk and have them check the computer to see what work it has had done. That can give you a clue about either past problems or quality of maintenance.

When you actually buy one make sure to let us know how old and how many miles it has so we can point you to the things you should check. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

The whine from some these bikes is more from design than from any defect. These Royal Stars have straight cut gears in the trannys which MAY produce a whine at certain RPMs. They use straight cut gears in HD truck trannys and race cars for strength. You will never hear of an RSV blowing a tranny, at least I never have. Mine has a very slight whine at certain RPMs but it is not objectionabl to me at all. With the music playing and the RK mufflers singing, I don't even notice it any more. As a matter of fact, it gives it character. I love my RSV and whatever little quirks they may have ( like any other bike does) I'll run it till the wheels fall off. It looks like it could outlive me. Brian :big-grin-emoticon:

?? "maybe that is the only thing that drove them to find our site at all." ??

Umm... Mine is the worst on the planet. But I did not come here for that.

I came here cuz of You! Were all in this together my friend.

and yes I still love my RSV "WHINE AND ALL"

Matter of fact I am investing $14,000 more into my whine!

That is how much I love this Bike. Not sure if I would have bought it

if I did like goose says and road it 10 miles or not.

Only road it about 3 miles and fell in love with it. *oops*

Jeff

?? "maybe that is the only thing that drove them to find our site at all." ??

Umm... Mine is the worst on the planet. But I did not come here for that.

I came here cuz of You! Were all in this together my friend.

and yes I still love my RSV "WHINE AND ALL"

Matter of fact I am investing $14,000 more into my whine!

That is how much I love this Bike. Not sure if I would have bought it

if I did like goose says and road it 10 miles or not.

Only road it about 3 miles and fell in love with it. *oops*

Jeff

Me glad you happy bud, that what really counts! But All I was sayin is that some folks are joiners who search us out just for general information and camaraderie, and others won't even come here when we personally find them and invite 'em. In between are the ones that have a problem which drives them to search for information, and because they have the problem, you are guaranteed to hear them complain about it.

Goose

As Boomin stated it's from the straight cut primary gearset and is the nature of the beast. I've only ever heard one Yamaha that didn't have that whine. I'm still not sure what's wrong with it.

On the plus side that design is bullet proof and maintenance free.

It's not something that is age or wear related. If it doesn't make too much noise for you today it never will.

When I bought my 05, I did have the dreaded whine at the higher rpms..sounded like a blender on high speed...Everyone I rode with told me about it , but because I always had the radio on I didn't hear it..one day I rode without the radio and it was very obvious to me..took the bike to the dealer and had them put in the I basket under warranty..when I picked it up a few days latter, I couldn't believe it was the same bike..It sounded totaly different..my riding companions thought I got rid of the whine by masking it with a new exhaust..anyway if you buy it..it will still be under warranty..I would still be riding this bike whine or no whine..have put on 12,000 miles since I replaced the basket with no reoccurance of the whine..I wouldn't give up this bike for anything..It ,by far is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned.We ride two up all the time and TATERS wouldn't stand to ride anything else...LUCKY ME...:Venture:

I have an 07 also. I had also researched the RSV before purchasing and was concerned about the whine issue. Initially I noticed NO whines. After about 800-1000 miles I began to hear a very noticable whine in the rear at low speeds. I drained the rear end oil and changed it over to synthetic, problem solved! I now have 8000 miles it and no problems at all. This is a great bike. 98% of the guys we ride with are Harley owners and we usually ride 300-500 miles every other weekend. I have seen alot of the Harley guys sneak peeks at the Venture when they think I can't see them, some of them have big enough snarkles to come up to me and ask about it and compliment it's looks and power (because no matter how hard they run the Venture is with them every step). The women all admire the comfort provided by the rear pillion. You will not be disappointed with the Venture as long as you don't possess that HArley mentality. I hope this helps.

:12101:

I came here because a freind told about the site. I was looking for info in Jan. when I was trying to deside on a Wing or the RSV. Got hooked when I heard all the info on maint. and related issues. I got hooked and been sitting in the back ground soaking up info. Just wish we were all closer so I could make to some of the maint. days to put faces with my new found Rsv family.:rasberry:

Yes I know what you mean. I have been on this site

for about 5 years now I guess, and still have not

made it to Don's Yet. And one day I will. maybe after

I retire *lol* There are Soooo MANY great folks on this

site and they even put up with me as well. they must

be CRAZY!:confused24:

Jeff

I bought an 05 Venture very late last summer. I heard this noise I never heard before. It sounded to me like lifters. So I took it to the service shop two weeks after I got it, and was told bike and "lifters" was in mint condition settings and all. He even wanted to know where I found the bike 3 years old in mint condition with only 1905 miles on it. (Him :think:) (Me:banana:)

Well I have never road a bike sitting "behind" a wind shield before. It is like sitting in an air pocket so I started experimenting. I would hear this "noise" and raise up above the wind shield, AND NOTHING!:lightbulb:

So I got back on my Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 and with some work made a large "windshield". Guess what? I had noises I never heard before! And very annoying I might add!:bawling:

So right then and there I decided the noise was due to the "living room barka lounger" condition that the Venture provides the rider. And I have not been bothered by the so called "noise/whine" since! :thumbsup2:

AND I WOULD NOT TRADE HER OFF FOR NOTHING NOW! BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER ROAD!:2cents:

Bryan

I had a V-star when I found this site. A friend of mine had a RSTD and I wanted one. I just loved the sound of his, the cruise control and the hard bags etc.

I test rode one and it had a horrible whine. My wife rode it with me, and she said it sounded like a Jetson's car. I came here and asked about it and found out that some had it and some didn't. I test rode another one and didn't hear it at all. I bought it and I love it. I do hear a slight whine in it at certain times, but not loud enough to be annoying.

I had a V-star when I found this site. A friend of mine had a RSTD and I wanted one. I just loved the sound of his, the cruise control and the hard bags etc.

I test rode one and it had a horrible whine. My wife rode it with me, and she said it sounded like a Jetson's car. I came here and asked about it and found out that some had it and some didn't. I test rode another one and didn't hear it at all. I bought it and I love it. I do hear a slight whine in it at certain times, but not loud enough to be annoying.

I had a V Star 1100 when I found this site, too

. I wear ear plugs & have the radio or iPod playing, so, I don't hear much from the engine. Those rare times when I'm without the ear plugs, I turn off the tunes & listen. Yes, I hear a bit of a whine then, but not enough to bother me. I know it's not something wrong with it. It's just the nature of the beast & the ear plugs & tunes take care of the rest. I love this bike.