IGNORED

Better check your bolts!

I rode the bike to work monday and opened the side bag and the lid just about fell off and the bolts were in the bottom of the bag!! I was not happy but at least the lid didnt fall off or get scratched up. I guess I am going to have to go around the bike and check stuff!! I wouldnt think I would have to mess with it for awhile since its a 08 with only 4600 miles on her but I guess I was wrong. Just thought I would send this out to anyone who thinks the same thing with theres before they lose something.:yikes:

I rode the bike to work monday and opened the side bag and the lid just about fell off and the bolts were in the bottom of the bag!! I was not happy but at least the lid didnt fall off or get scratched up. I guess I am going to have to go around the bike and check stuff!! I wouldnt think I would have to mess with it for awhile since its a 08 with only 4600 miles on her but I guess I was wrong. Just thought I would send this out to anyone who thinks the same thing with theres before they lose something.:yikes:

Found the same thing on my 07 last year. Saddlebag hinge bolts were almost completely out.

Yep. Same thing happened to me with my '06. The right saddlebag lid got all scratched up. Yamaha replaced it for me with no problem.

Actually, this is not a new subject, but I think we need to figure out a way to keep it up front so all new members find it early - maybe just a simple sticky message . . .

The VAST majority of us (at least the modern bike owners - doubt there are any owners of them antique 1st gens who are old enough to have bought it new! :shock3: ) have had a lesson in checking bolts. Yamahaha seems to do a terrible job of properly setting these bikes up. If you don't go over a new 2nd gen from front to back, you are gonna loose something.

Most common are the front fender trim bolts and the shifter pivot bolt. ABSOLUTELY lock-tite that shifter bolt! After that, the common complaints are the bag hinge screws behind the canvas cover, the two flat-head screws holding the trunk lid prop arm, and all the big bolts along the top sides of the rear fender that secure the trunk and grab rails. But don't just stop with those, it is good practice to check just about all easily accessible chassis bolts and screws. I haven't heard of any problems with engin or drive train bolts coming loose.

One last comment, since I have mentioned the use of Lock-tite - do NOT use it on any bolt or screw that touches or passes through ABS plastic! Many ofus here are tired of hearing that warning, but it is still important for new folks. :080402gudl_prv:

Come to think about it but yep, one of my hinge bolts fell out too! When I was over at Harbor Freight, I bought a set of the ball head 'T" allen wrenches. When I was tightening the bolt, the ball broke off in the bolt head. Haven't gotten it out yet. Cheap tools. Any ideas on getting it out? Too small to use a easy-out. Thought about cutting a slot in the head with my dremel. Then replacing the bolt. I'll get around to it. Need to do the brake job first.

Thanks and keep the shiny side up and rubber down.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

If I remember rite I think it will eat your abs plastic and make it very soft. You have to be very careful with abs with alot of stuff like that as it will make it soft or eat it and it looks like glue and its not pretty!! There are alot of car parts that are made of this and I have tobe careful what I use on them at work.

I do think I am going to go over the bike this weekend and tighten her up!!

Found the same thing on my 07 last year. Saddlebag hinge bolts were almost completely out.

Been there, done that. Now its a regular check up item and as was already said, any bolt you can get a wrench on, check it.

Ian

Kevin,

It has happened to me a few times already. Saddlebag hinge a couple times, the passenger grab rail once, I have a saddlebag trim rail loose now, and had one of the chrome lower wind deflector that attaches to the forks loose too. Seems like there was one more, but can't think of it right now. Oh yeah, shifter bolt, which led to my ignorance and a costly clutch replacement.

Got that trunk rack on yet?

Edited by Sideoftheroad

Didn't Bubba suggest you check all those, and especially those in the saddlebag and trunk frames 2 weeks ago under your post titled "sore back" where you stated you felt vibration in the seat.

Jus' cuz hiz name is Bubba dunt mak im stewpid!

Take the bags/trunk/seats off, and locktite everything. Also the latches and hinges inside all the boxes. And do not forget the shifter bolt, dag-nabit! Just ask Riderduke!

The bolts holding the bags to the frame with the rubber washers do NOT need locktite.

• 2 months later...
If you do lose a shifter bolt while on the road, I've heard that the dummy bolt on the side-cover(s) is(are) an exact fit. Good to know if you're miles from nowhere and enjoying the ride.

Yes, I can verify that the dummy bolts on the side covers work if you loose the shifter bolt.

I was coming off the interstate yesterday. Didn't pay much attention to the clink a few miles back. Started to down shift on the ramp,,,, NO SHIFTER!!

Well, actually it was there, laying next to my foot on the floor board.

I stopped the bike, slid the shifter back on the shaft, kept left foot close and got to my stop.

No spare bolts in the tool bag. (Had not read WHANNA's post before today.)

Started looking where to steal a bolt,,,, Yep, SIDE COVER DUMMY BOLTS.

Perfect fit. Got me back home just fine.

The shop had to order then replacement bolt/washer,,, so not sure if it is exactly same.

But it was not high dollar like some of the ones that must be solid gold inside.

So,,,, yeah, they work,,,, and you have two chances! But yep, will locktite the next one.

Mike G.

Same thing on my '07. At 4000 Km (2400 miles) I was washing the bike after an all day excursion. Found 2 bolts missing, 1 almost missing. (1 of the missing and the almost missing were on the trunk supports.) Spent the next couple of hours tightening. After that the side bad bolts fell out as I had missed them and the trunk catch thingie came loose and trunk wouldn't close.

Never had a loose nut or bolt on the '85 Wing. Wasn't impressed and told the dealer so. They said to bring it in and the service guys would check it over. I had already done that by then and besides, they were the ones that let it leave the shop like that.

I beat you, it happened to my 08 rstd yesterday at 3700 miles! Opened the bag and thought what the heck! Screws were laying in the bottom of the bag. My cousin was riding with me, he has a h-d. He was giving me crap about the bag coming apart. I told him that the only reason something like that didnt happen to him was that everything that could fall off his bike already has! He got a good laugh out of it.