I have just purchased this aged bike. It has 80K km but appears to be in fine shape. The last owner had it in his underground parking spot for the last 4 years and only rode it 2,000km in that time - so it has had an abundance of downtime.

The only obvious issue I can see is the front right fork seal is leaking - do these have to be replaced in pairs (ie. left and right)?

Also, any suggestions on what else I should be thinking about to get her ready for the road (should Spring ever arrive - HA!)? I am going to do a complete fluid change - was wondering if I should maybe replace the brake lines (they appear tired) and replace all the rubber parts in the masters and calipers?

Open to any and all suggestions from those that know a heck of a lot more than me (that would be just about everyone on this site!).

Cheers

Gigwhiskey , PB &J and i are convinced that the 85s are fastest and best. My 85 is getting stainless brakelines, i understand its a bear to do if the bike is together, but Ill let you know if I think its a good upgrade. What colour is yours? most 85's seem to be the Glorious Maxie Brown.

I would do both fork seals while youre already working on it and consider putting progressive springs if you find the front end soft as theyre only about 70 bucks.

Brian

Indeed mine is the "glorious maxie brown" !

Thanks for the info. Are the progressive springs an aftermarket item? If so, any idea where I might find them?

Thanks!

Check with a local dealer, can't remember off hand if it's in the Parts Canada or the Motovan catalog. Progressive Suspension, also usually recommends 15 weight fork oil, be used.

Welcome aboard! You have many members in Ontario and I'm sure you will find them very helpful as well as friendly! Most of them don't bite...

There is a Meet and Eat coming up in 2 weeks in Ft Erie at the Green Acres Restaurant on Saturday the 14th. Information is either on the calendar or in the Meet and Eat forum.

Just let us know of your problems here and I'm sure you will get all the advice you need!

Probably a really good idea....

change brake fluid and clutch fluid. It probably has never been done.

Flush and change the radiator fluid. It also probably never has been done.

change the rear diff oil. It probably has never been done.

change fuel filter.

change fork springs and oil.

probably be a really good idea to clean out the gas tank. Not easy to do without tearing apart the bike.

take apart the foot brake lever assembly and clean/lube it all up. where it goes through the frame can bind and cause your rear brake to lock and never release, if you can pull the pedal up at all after pressing it down and letting it return, this is needed. it should return to the top stop on it's own.

really inspect the tires... cracks = highly possible blowout at high speed and you in the hospital or worse.

sync the carbs.

I'd then run 2 cans of seafoam through it on 4 tanks of gas (1/2 can per tank).

Things you might have to do...

Replace rear master cyl reservoir after you break it from trying to open it.

replace the carb diaphragms

replace brakes and brake lines

disassemble the drive shaft and rear pumpkin and lube everything up.

Front wheel bearings.

Rear wheel bearings.

Those are just off the top of my head. welcome to the world of owning a classic motorcycle. If you know how to work on mechanical things, they are far cheaper than any new bike, and they dont lose value like new ones. :)

you covered everything . You left nothing for me to advise him on. Well anyway like friesman said the Brownies are the best . MMMMM Browwwwnniiess! Oops, got side tracked. check out our pictures to see just how pretty they are.

Like all have said changing all the fluids can save headaches down the road. I bought my 85 last year with the same fork seal problem, and I'm going for the progressive springs this year.Brake resevoirs should be cleaned as well. Fine deposits accumulate in the bottom of them.The carbs may have to be pulled to be cleaned Yamaha's are a bit touchy as far as fuel deposits go. I agree with everyone else's advice. Radiator, oil, brake and clutch brakelines too if cracked. Also one more thing check your model number if it is over 1470 then you have an 85 with the upgraded split ring in your tranny meaning that you shouldn't have any of the problems 83 to early 85's had with losing 2nd gear. If it is lowerr than that they be aware of this issure . Especially with a bike with 80k on it. Welcome to ownership of one of the sportiest (and prettiest) tourers ever produced.:happy34:

I would say pull the clutch slave cylinder out also and rebuild and clean. Only 2 rings in there, easy to do but a pain to pull out. I think GeorgeS says to turn it upside down and it'll slide right out!

Clean all electrical connections with CRC26 (Lowes) and put dielectric grease back on them when reassembling.

Dan

just ask questions, we'll be glad to answer!.

As for breaking the rear master cylinder when losening the bolt. I cant remember the size of the wrech but try until you figure out wich one it is, Just put an open end wrench on the master cylider wall just below the fill bolt and losen bolt with ratchet while maintaining pressure on master cylinder walls in opposite direction. Worked for me. found this out after reserching out how to rebuild the thing.

Good luck and keep up uprwright.

David :thumbsup:

I have just purchased this aged bike. It has 80K km but appears to be in fine shape. The last owner had it in his underground parking spot for the last 4 years and only rode it 2,000km in that time - so it has had an abundance of downtime.

The only obvious issue I can see is the front right fork seal is leaking - do these have to be replaced in pairs (ie. left and right)?

Also, any suggestions on what else I should be thinking about to get her ready for the road (should Spring ever arrive - HA!)? I am going to do a complete fluid change - was wondering if I should maybe replace the brake lines (they appear tired) and replace all the rubber parts in the masters and calipers?

Open to any and all suggestions from those that know a heck of a lot more than me (that would be just about everyone on this site!).

Cheers

Ride it! :big-grin-emoticon:

The wheel stands can be a bit tricky though, lol. I am afraid my plastic is gonna explode one day when she comes back down.

Gigwhiskey , PB &J and i are convinced that the 85s are fastest and best. My 85 is getting stainless brakelines, i understand its a bear to do if the bike is together, but Ill let you know if I think its a good upgrade. What colour is yours? most 85's seem to be the Glorious Maxie Brown.

I would do both fork seals while youre already working on it and consider putting progressive springs if you find the front end soft as theyre only about 70 bucks.

Brian

Add me to that list will ya? I really like my '87 but that '85 I had was far better!

Front fork springs by progressive from Motorcycle Accessorie warehouse. 60 bucks. Cant beat it I dont think.

Best thing since sliced bread for the front end after those old stock springs wear out.

Good to deal with as well.

You will still need to change out the seals though.

http://www.mawonline.com/newsite/progressive-fork_springs.htm#FRONT_FORK_SPRINGS

Scroll down until you find the ones for the ventures 83-94.

WHATEVER YOU DO , don't pay ANY attention to anyone who rides a 2nd gen!

they speak with forked tongues!

lol

just jt

HA! Ya must have seen me coming......:rotf:

For decorum purposes I will only offer my deepest sympathy to the new owner of the oldest washing machine put on 2 wheels........:rasberry:

Boomer........Who has access to Maytag washing machine parts for any 1st Genner.:rotfl:

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank you for your input and help here. I just rolled the '85VR out of the garage yesterday and it looks great and is running like a top.

I installed new progressive springs as I changed the fork seals. The right front brake rotor was a little thin, so I changed it, put new pads all round and bled all the brake lines. I bought some new SS braided brake lines but have not yet installed them - that sounds more like a winter job to me, along with replacing the other two brake rotors as I think they will be done like dinner after this season.

The fuel gauge doesn't work and the battery I think is a bit weak, but I will wait for a rainy day to deal with these snags.

Ride safe!