IGNORED

gas mileage question

I rode the bike in to work today (about 60 miles @ 40 degrees) and was really happy with the way it performed since it was my first time out on the new scoot. I stopped to fill up and checked my mileage and was surprised to see I only got 26 mpg. I recently synched the carbs. Here's the dumb question part. I then realized I had driven the bike with it choked about 1/4-1/2. Will that affect the mpg's that much? Also, did I possible hurt anything on the bike by driving it that far with it choked?

Hey Ken,

I wish I could say that I have never left the choke on too long....but I can't! Sometimes I am like a puppy hanging out the window of a pick-up when I get on my bike. :rotf:There has been that odd time I have fouled a plug running the choke on too long but that is rare. Next time you're out riding, with the choke off, take your bike up into the upper RPM range and "blow her out" and all should be fine. If you do develop a "stumble" or cold exhaust pipe on one of the cylinders, I would change the plugs.

Earl

Yes, as mentioned running with the choke on will reduce your mileage but it won’t really hurt the bike. It might carbon up a little but should clean itself out once you run it for a bit (without the choke on that is). If you have any doubts you could always run a little Seafoam through it.

The other thing is that the speedometers on these bikes are out by about 7-8% (faster) so you’ll need to take that into consideration when calculating your ‘true’ mileage. A GPS is great for calculating speed and mileage.

Enjoy your new ride! :thumbsup2:

Just wondering if you had sea-foam in the tank

while sitting over the winter or not?

My first tank seems to be that way on my

first ride, until I get nice fresh fuel in there again.

Jeff

I've had seafoam in it all winter. I checked the mileage on the way home from work and it went up to 33 mpg at 75 mph. I'm still not satisfied. I know it's gotta be better than that. I'm just not sure what to do now. The bike's running great, idling good, not back firing, and in synch. Hoping someone here can give me a couple of more suggestions.

I normally average around 28mpg. This is a big bike with a lot of frontal area. If you're running over 60, the mileage is going to take a beating. I also have a speedohealer on my bike.

When I ride with a group, I can get around 33 and 1 time with the group on the highway with cruise set at 65 with a 40mph tailwind, I was able to squeeze 37mpg out of it.

For every 10 degrees F. below 70 you can loose 2-3 mpg. Leave the choke on and loose up to 10 mpg! Been there done that too. Speed and loose 2-3 mpg for every 10 mph over 50. Drive in the city and loose 5-10 mpg. Now do them all at the same time and yes, you get only 25 mpg. But do all these in a big gas eating SUV and get 10 or less. No choice here.

I really get upset seeing one person/empty Excursions!!

On my Venture the best gas mileage happens at 55-60 mph. At 75+ I really can't enjoy the scenery due to tunnel vision. I don't track the exact mileage per gallon because it is no big deal to me....it's all about the ride itself!

Boomer........who does enjoy blowing a Harley off once inna while.

On my Venture the best gas mileage happens at 55-60 mph. At 75+ I really can't enjoy the scenery due to tunnel vision. I don't track the exact mileage per gallon because it is no big deal to me....it's all about the ride itself!

Boomer........who does enjoy blowing a Harley off once inna while.

You get a tunnel vision at 75 ?? Wow ...

Let's talk about a High Speed Ride on the Autobahn ... :hurts::hurts::hurts::hurts:

Gas mileage is such a subjective question, you'll get many different answers, and yes the choke didn't help your at all. The bike will also run lousy after sitting for a while with Seafoam in it. I always, after it's been setting all winter, run the hell out of it and get the old gas and Seafoam out of the tank. That 1st tank will be lousy gas mileage.

Lots of variables go into fuel economy, where you live, strong winds, rightwristitis....ect I get a consistant 38 mpg with my '08, I DONT baby my bikes as I like to play with them. Make sure the carbs are synced and ride it to have fun, thats why we bought them right :whistling: