playing with my GPS to see what areas we have not travelled yet

working on the bike, okay tinkering and fiddleing

swimming

car maintenance

computering

playing with ipod

i need to spend more time:

swimming

playing guitar with my daughter who plays fiddle, guitar, keyboard etc.

ham radio

remote control motorcycles, cars, trucks, boats, plane

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a table at the Hub it sounds like there ought to be some pool playing. I used to play a lot but since the local pool hall closed I haven't been playing much.

Basketball

Shooting

Reading

What about it Bill--Is there a table at the Hub ?

If not, sound like you had better find one. The guys have to have a little time away from their better halves so they can talk about us.:rotf:

hey Curt... I'd love to challenge ya on that one ... I been programming, teaching, and developing custom apps in Excel since it came out and before that, I wrote a lot of macro scripts in Lotus 123, not to mention converting 123 spreadsheets and macros to Excel. Been doing this as a part of my computer consulting business for over 20 yrs. I always love a good challenge and learning new stuff is what keeps me going...perhaps I could pick up a few new ideas from you or vice versa.

OK.. did I say one of my hobbies was programming? Actually, I don't do it as a hobby anymore...haven't since I found out I could get paid for it LOL

No need to challenge me...just share! :) Most of what I do is more on the formula side, not the macro or forms side. It seems to be my history, including even when I was still on active duty in the Air Force I couldn't get programming support for various needs. A lot of what I do really could be handled by a good programmer, but I enjoy the challenge of building it and when necessary taking a programmer (who's supposed to understand logic) through logic of why it's put together the way it and why it does what it does when I do finally get programming support...typically my spreadsheets stay in place for a while to validate the programming outcomes.

All my spreadsheets are built "table" style, often with some of the "tables" being fed data via a query or reporting tool (SQL prior to my PeopleSoft days, query with PeopleSoft, and now reporting with ADP), or financial systems such as Hyperion. One table might contain measurement data, another award level data, another location data, and another people data. I like to build coding systems that don't need updating once designed...only keep the financials and people data updated, and all is single entry....you put something in one spot and that's it. The real core of what I do is build formulas that can do complex mathematical calculations in a logical order...I LOVE IT!!! We've got some folks in our IT department who are great with the macros and forms tools in Excel, but when somebody needs Excel to do something special they come to me. Last year going through an ADP implementation, ADP had to come to me to build a product to test their outcomes...you got to love it!

Curt

Well Ive alway been a boater and fisherman, im learning fishing again after moving to Florida and Photography I alway bring my camera in the boat or bike.

I like woodworkig projects and working in my yard and gardens.

I enjoy upholstery not furniture but thats my job.

No need to challenge me...just share! :) Most of what I do is more on the formula side, not the macro or forms side. It seems to be my history, including even when I was still on active duty in the Air Force I couldn't get programming support for various needs. A lot of what I do really could be handled by a good programmer, but I enjoy the challenge of building it and when necessary taking a programmer (who's supposed to understand logic) through logic of why it's put together the way it and why it does what it does when I do finally get programming support...typically my spreadsheets stay in place for a while to validate the programming outcomes.

All my spreadsheets are built "table" style, often with some of the "tables" being fed data via a query or reporting tool (SQL prior to my PeopleSoft days, query with PeopleSoft, and now reporting with ADP), or financial systems such as Hyperion. One table might contain measurement data, another award level data, another location data, and another people data. I like to build coding systems that don't need updating once designed...only keep the financials and people data updated, and all is single entry....you put something in one spot and that's it. The real core of what I do is build formulas that can do complex mathematical calculations in a logical order...I LOVE IT!!! We've got some folks in our IT department who are great with the macros and forms tools in Excel, but when somebody needs Excel to do something special they come to me. Last year going through an ADP implementation, ADP had to come to me to build a product to test their outcomes...you got to love it!

Curt

My specialty is automation and I use VBA for that. As for formulas, again, I custom design a lot of that with VBA. I tend to stay away from Excel for "data tracking / storage / reporting" and use Access or MySQL and/or Visual Basic for that...Excel is used where further analysis / what-if's or speed of number crunching is necessary...but, clients will be clients and if their thing is Excel, then that's what I do. Having said that, I've designed and enhanced so many different Excel spreadsheet applications it boggles my mind when I go back and look at them...I think to myself "I did THAT!" LOL

N-E-Wayz, we're (or should I say I am) hijacking this thread .... so, if at anytime you got a Q / problem needing some solution, gimme a holler...be glad to assist. As for me, I only work for one company now and so far, haven't come up against a brick wall.

Besides riding, planning trips on the bike and then traveling to those places picked out I enjoy Archery (especially 3-D types), shooting guns, camping, Photography, spending time with the grand kids and watching them grow and playing the sport of their choice - Hockey. Not in that order necessarily either.

Larry

Riding - first and foremost (actually go thourgh withdrawals when the weather or commitments preclude it)

Archery - Not bow hunting (did when I lived in Maryland but NC treats bowhunters so bad just can't get into it )

playing with my computer and all things gadget

playing poker (texas hold 'em or Omaha) and Backgammon (which is getting harder to get a good game)

Flying kites

Building kites

Collecting books about building kites

Collecting puzzles with images of kites

Posting at a forum about building kites

Attending festivals where you fly kites

Judging competitions for home made kites

Participating in aerial battles of kites

Collecting US Navy kites

Flying dual line sport kites

Flying quad line sport kites

Flying dual line sport kites as a pair with my wife to music

Collecting comic books with kite on the cover

One problem is I have not figured out how to carry 400 LBS of kites on a motorcycle....

You ever think about getting in to kite flying?

This is an interesting thread good idea!!

well im kinda easy to occupy but i will try here:

golf ( it started out to spend time with my dad... now cant get enough)

going to the local pup to watch the drama unfold :cool17:

trying to think of new ways to aggravate YAMMER DAN :smile5:

and my newest hobbie... THE KIDS OF ST.JUDE!

Ron AKA "grasshopper"

You ever think about getting in to kite flying?

Now there is a thought........

I am going to fly a kite here at my desk at work now. Realy!!!!!!

I make kites that have only one square inch of sail area that fly on a line that is about 1/12 the size of sewing thread.

I forgot to mention that cooking is one of my hobbies...in fact, it's a form of "therapy". When I get home from work, nothing (except riding the scoot) relaxes me more than banging back a few rum & cokes and cooking up a great meal... oh yeah... there's the eating part too! heh heh

Golf and baseball in the summer.

I am a lousy golfer and getting too old and fat for baseball so I go riding.

As a family we love camping and dont do near enough of that.

I used to be an avid fisherperson but got so tired of not catching anything I took up golf....pretty bad at golf so I ride more.

Moping around complaining about the cold in the winter!

Golf and baseball in the summer.

I am a lousy golfer and getting too old and fat for baseball so I go riding.

As a family we love camping and dont do near enough of that.

I used to be an avid fisherperson but got so tired of not catching anything I took up golf....pretty bad at golf so I ride more.

Moping around complaining about the cold in the winter!

I am set up for retirement though

Marilyn got me a metal detector and a remote airplane.

Got to try crashing that some day!

I have too many interests to even remember. None of them get the attention I'd like to give them. Other things I'd like to do I simply don't have time for at all.

• building vacuum tube audio equipment

• restoring classic American cars - everything from metal and bodywork to painting to upholstery to mechanicals and minor machine work (I have a mill and a small lathe). Right now I'm in the middle of a '71 Mustang convertible, and have three other cars patiently waiting

• modifying my cars and bikes for more power

• house projects - our house was built in 1877, so there are always plenty of things to do

• rebuilding pianos - I'm in the middle of refinishing TWO grand player pianos

• playing piano and guitar

• building model cars

• bicycling - definitely don't do this one enough

• rebuilding old pinball machines

• tracing the history of our town. The Wabash Erie canal was started in Fort Wayne and ran through many other towns across the countryside. I enjoy riding the bike around and finding spots where remnants of it can still be seen.

• other things I can't even think of right now

Is it any wonder nothing gets done?