IGNORED

Another 1st Gen in the Garage

86er

A few weeks ago, as I was leaving the building on my FedEx route, my manager stopped me and handed me a package. "Here" he said, "This is from the next route over, deliver it after you finish your route." I said "OK" and headed out on my way.

After I finished my stuff, I took that package and delivered it to a company in an office building. As I went thru' the parking lot to turn around, I noticed a bike with with a cover on it. The cover was torn at the back and I could tell that it was a Mk1 1st gen.

I did some talking to the driver on that route and people in the area and found out that it has been there for at least a year and a half. The tag expired in June 07. I got the name of the property owners and told them I would remove it if they wanted. They said that would be great because their regular towing co. didn't want to move it.

I called the local sheriff's dept and they checked it out. They said that it wasn't stolen and since it was on private property, it could be removed. So, with an email in hand requesting me to remove it, I took a trailer and loaded it up! It is now safely stored in my garage! The storage charges are already adding up.

Now I just need to figure all the correct steps to take to (a) find the owner and let them know the towing and storage charges or that I will accept the tittle and keys in lieu thereof or (b) to claim tittle if not redeemed in X amount of time.

I like free motorcycles! It is maroon with 29,775 miles. Barely broken in if it still has second gear.

These pictures are a little dark as it was in my garage. I should have taken pictures on site and with it on the trailer, but hindsight is 20/20!

Heck, the tires are worth the price of admission!

(OK, Let the 2nd genners start with the P-nut gallery observations!)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/TMagEnterprises/My%20Truck/Abandoned%20Venture/100_1615.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/TMagEnterprises/My%20Truck/Abandoned%20Venture/100_1614.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/TMagEnterprises/My%20Truck/Abandoned%20Venture/100_1613.jpg

Todd -

Smooth move guy. All the 2nd Gen folks are just jealous. Don't forget I have a 1986 parts bike with complete motor and driveline. I have plans for the carbs and the block (Bore and sleeve to 1500). The transmission gears aren't needed per say. Keys are easy if the owner doesn't respond

John Blankenship -- http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

Get that number from the bottom of the ignition switch and there ya go.

Owners name - apparently a women. Think it must be Ima Broke.

JB

Nice looking Ride Todd

Ride it up here if you need some shop space.

Thanks Steve, I know you have the shop space..........NOW! :rotf: But I still have to work out the key thing.

You are one lucky dog! Call State Police and they can advise you on how to track the VIN to see who owns it. Good luck!

Dan

I don't know if they can give out that info anymore, Dan. The Sheriff that checked it out said she couldn't give me that information.

Todd -

Smooth move guy. All the 2nd Gen folks are just jealous. Don't forget I have a 1986 parts bike with complete motor and driveline. I have plans for the carbs and the block (Bore and sleeve to 1500). The transmission gears aren't needed per say. Keys are easy if the owner doesn't respond

John Blankenship -- http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

Get that number from the bottom of the ignition switch and there ya go.

Owners name - apparently a women. Think it must be Ima Broke.

JB

I'll check out that site, JB. I have to get the switch out first. Muffinman talked about break away bolts. I also figure that if I can get it out, I can take it to a local locksmith and have a key made for 20 bucks or less.

If you need help disposing of all the extra parts you wont be needing, I will be glad to take them off your hands, you know some plastic parts that arent broken, maybe a front fender to replace the cracked one on mine...........some nice straight crash bars, etc, etc,..................:cool10:

Hey Todd,

Nice score buddy! I'm not sure how it works in Georgia but here in Pa. a tow company or garage can file with the DMV for what is called a "Mechanic'e Lien". You fill out a form at DMV stating that you have posession of the car(bike) and the regestered owner owes you money for the tow and storage, DMV contacts the owner and they have X amount of days to contact you. I think it was 45 days last time I did this. At the end of the 45 days if there is no contact, you file for a new or reconstructed title in your name and at that point the bike is legally yours and can be regestered in YOUR name or resold. Check it out, It's a bit of a paperwork hassle but if you have the time, it costs a LOT less than buying a VR retail.:confused24:

Hope this helps,

Earl

Man Todd good eye. What a catch! What i wouldn't give to just find a 1st Gen sitting around like that. It makes me wonder though why anyone would just abandon a good bike like that? Even if second gear was gone it was still ridable?

Well you lucky devil good luck getting the title. Even with out it you've got a great parts bike there . It would be a shame to dismantle it though but the fleet of bikes out here are getting older and parts are getting more scarce.:mytruck1:

If you need help disposing of all the extra parts you wont be needing, I will be glad to take them off your hands, you know some plastic parts that arent broken, maybe a front fender to replace the cracked one on mine...........some nice straight crash bars, etc, etc,..................:cool10:
Hey Lewis, I got a good front fender for you if you need one off a 84.:thumbsup2:

In VA, you go to the DMV and file for an "abandoned vehicle title", they will provide you the name and address on the title. You then send a registered letter to the "last known address". If it comes back "undeliverable" or does not come back at all for 30 days, then you just go back to DMV and pick up your title.

HOWEVER, if they contest and want the bike back, going foward with the MECHANIC"S LEIN is very difficult. But if they don't know that, storage fees would probably keep them from pursueing the bike

I am sure somebody here has a frame and matching title to help you out!