IGNORED

Down shifting

Caveman

OK guys this is my first thread forgive me if I do it wrong. I want to know your opinions on down shifting when slowing down, basically using the engine as a brake. I have done this for years and never had any problems or caused any damage to my bikes that I know of. I had a friend tell me the other day that he wouldn't do that to his bike. When I do this I don't over-rev the engine, so I don't see the problem. Is it too much on the tranee? I appreciate and respect your opinions and thank you in advance. Carl:Venture:

Down shifting wont hurt it a bit...

I would like to see constructive evidence your friend has to back up his theroy...:think:

Constructive evidence on my theroy......

Every rider I know, and have know, downs shifts thier bike.

I have never once in all my 40 years of riding heard anyone state that it does, or will, cause a problem.

Just watch and listen to any bike race on a round track, and you will hear them down shift constantly and HARD on every curve and they are going a lot faster then we will ever be going..

I have down shifted every stick shift vehicle I have ever owned..and when nessisary, I have down shifted my automatic transmission vehicles on very steep hills to avoid my brakes from overheating, and have never once had a problem.

If your friend is clutching it or shifting to neutral and braking only he is losing a huge part of his control in slowing down. In some states have a vehicle in neutral on the streets while moving is against the law.

I'd be interested in hearing his theory also. Been riding most my life, plus stick shift cars and 13 years of OTR trucking and proper down shifting is a critical skill in that line of work.

Now if your red lining it and drop a gear......well.....not good. But having the bike powered is the key to control on any motorcycle, shifting up or down.

I'm agree with posters above.

Tell Your friend, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Downshifting is something must to stop bike in jiffy. Bunch members here has filling RSV rear brake is too sensitive , and easy to lock. I never have a problem with my rear brake lock, but use a lot of downshifting with proper use of both brakes.

When on your scoot and the motor running, you should be in gear, at all times, that's why neutral is where it is, hard to find. As mentioned, you need to be in the right gear at the right time, downshifting will give you that, where as coasting can leave you in a gear much too high to turn on the power if needed. Also, before you come to a complete stop, you must be in first, not after you stop, but just before. Often times that doesn't happen and then you have a second gear issue, or maybe a third gear issue and if you're making a left turn,,,,,,,,,,,good luck,,,,,,,don't ask me how I know,,,but then most of us know already from experience.

There is only one negative to down shifting and then only if you drop the gears a bit too quick...you can wear the rear tire a bit more than normal if your downshifting too quickly. I that no reason not to downshift. If you downshift smoothly, its by far the fastest way to assist in decell.

Does a trucker NOT downshift for a grade? I think "everyone" knows that engine braking is only a sensible thing to do and I've never heard of it causing damage unless the gear chosen causes the engine to over-rev. Heck, I even downshift in my truck which is automatic when I'm descending a steep hill.

Consider the ability to DownShift Thru Gears to be a Safty Issue.

Its simply part of Basic Rideing Skills, and is Not going to Damage anything on the

bike. !!!

And the faster, and better you can do it, should be considered something you should practice doing. Become an Expert at this skill, it will save your life someday !!

Sorry, to say, but whoever told you that, is liveing in La La Land !!!

I also have to agree with everyone else, by using the gears I can bring the bike to almost a complete stop without even touching the brakes in regular traffic, just by reading whats going on ahead of me.

I think your friend must go through alot of brake pads.

Ian

I'm not picking on the Harley's and the newest one I have owned was a 1978 but the gears in that bike were not synchronized so you would get some grinding from time to time when down shifting.

Other than that I agree with everyone else.

I'm going to have to look at my manual. What is that down shifting only at 16 mph business? First I ever heard of that.

Jerry

Directly from the owner's manual... and why we ignore some things in an owner's manual...

"Apply front and/or rear brakes to slow the motorcycle." ?????

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/shifting.jpg

Note that they want you in 5th by the time you are at 31 mph when accelerating! And note the recommendations in "to decelerate #2"... one of the reasons you have to "temper" what the manual says with good ole common sense.

You'd be awefully busy at 12.5 mph on deceleration!!!

I've ALWAYS used the engine when decelerating, big bike, little bike, car or truck. On the bikes with HEAVY mechanical clutch linkage, it was a general rule to be in neutral at a stop in case the clutch cable broke. With the hydraulic clutch, I ALWAYS sit in first gear. You never know when the safest thing to do is grab some throttle, drop the clutch and get out of the way.

In my MSF Rider's Edge class, they suggested that both are done. We had to learn to downshift while braking to pass the class.

Note that one of the reasons you should use your brakes is that it turns on your brake light! This helps the vehicles behind you to know that you are slowing. Motorcycles downshifting can slow very quickly, and find a car on their back.

So, yes, do downshift, but also use your brakes.

In the basic MSF course you are tought to down shift and how to do it. Keep throttle steady and ease out the clutch so as not to cause the rear wheel to lockup momentarily. With a little practice it can be done real smooth.

tew47

The Last time I had to replace a Transmission, was in my 1947 Harley 45, C.I. and that bike was a basket case when I bought it. !!

That 15 MPH thing in the Manual is "" BULL """ I'm sorry, thats just from the Mfg's point of view, to cover their A*&%$ in a lawsuite.

I run my Venture, and Suzuki in 3 rd 4th and 5th above 50 MPH All the time, depending on the Road, and traffic. I WANT TO HAVE MY POWER ON TAP!! IF I NEED IT !!! ( ie. Keep your REV's UP )

In 5th gear, with the Venture, under 3000 RPM, your power output is less then half of full output, Check some Dyno Charts.

The time it takes for your engine to build RPM, could be the difference between a Crash, and No Crash

I have been double downshifting my 89 since it was new, from 65 and 70 mph,

never heard a wimper from the transmission.

And even if it does, or did break, because of downshifting, I'd rather pay the Repair Bill, then a Hospital Bill !!!!!!!!

Edited by GeorgeS

Downshift here, as well, and for the same reasons. As far as the brake light is concerned, you should be able to cover the break lightly to the point that the brake light is on, but the brakes are not engaged, thus warning drivers behind you but still not wearing on your brakes. At least this is what I do if I have traffic behind me....;)

I agree with all above and downshift in anything with a std tranny, also when needed in automatics.

One caution on downshifting, do not try to downshift to far (quickly) or pop the clutch when doing so, as it could cause the back tire to lock up. This is most likely the only reason why anyone would suggest not downshifting.

BRad

Don't forget to blip your throttle to give a few more RPM's to your engine. This will give you a smoother downdhift once you learn how to do it....

And a worse Fuel Consumption.

While i agree, a blip on the Throttle makes me feel going easier on the Tranny, from the pure technical Point of View, it's not necessary. It's a bad Habit, easy to learn and very hard to lose.