So cold here that I think my garage door is swearing at me in the morning! I've had this issue with the coolant leak on my 89 VR and it leaked again:bang head:, this time I found 2 leak points first 1 was at the drain and the other is at the base of the plastic elbow going into water pump. Hopefully both easily fixed( in warmer weather)!We'll see soon enough!!!!!! Everyone stay warm and be very careful outside:snow:

My 91 was doindg the same thing. Drip dripmdrip on the driveway. Checked it today and dang if it weren't easy . Just two quick turns in the hose clamp and she stopped. Good luck and hope the weather is better for you. 16 degrees when I started taking of the fairings this mornig.

david

been looking for my leak for a year now and found it at the drain valve, I changed the "O" ring and doesn't leak anymore,,,,,,,, but which way should that valve be oriented for normal driving. when I snapped it in, I put the hole in the valve in the "up" position,but looking at the schematics in the manual, I may be wrong, please advise me :confused24:

I was second guessing myself, because this is the first time I have been near this component since I owned the bike ( 2 years now), and the "as-found" position was with the top of the wording located at the 11 o'clock position, but the manual said that was the drain position, that's why I was confused....... it will also explain why I have been have overheating problems !!!!!!! what other little secrets should I learn about this "Stallion of a ride" ? don't get me wrong, I love it more than any other bike I've owned but there a certain quirks you have to get to know, and that is where the valued sharing on this site comes in......... thanks to all for the help in the present and future....JOHN

I haven't owned or seen a 1st gen that didn't leak antifreeze in the cold climates. It's pretty much normal and the only thing besides changing out all the gaskets and O-rings...is keep the garage heated.

Cold Climate?!?! Wass Dat?!?! It went down to 24 on my ride the other day and the Road Sofa didn't leak nuttin'!?!

I've posted this here before, but I guess one more time ain't gona hurt. The pick shows it in the off position.

Attached Thumbnails attachment.php?attachmentid=25716&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1232934833

WOW! I want one o' dem wooden motors!!!

Changed the antifreeze in the '89 this weekend. I now have a leak at the elbow, that one will have to wait until the weedend as where the hose clamp is I can't get to it without pulling the radiator. the other is the drain valve. Is this thing supposed to spin round and round? I'm guessing that the O ring needs replaced, but cant get the thing to screw out. The bike never had any issues with leaks before, but the antifreeze had been in the bike since I bought it. So I guess that now I'm creating problems.:confused24::bang head:

Changed the antifreeze in the '89 this weekend. I now have a leak at the elbow, that one will have to wait until the weedend as where the hose clamp is I can't get to it without pulling the radiator. the other is the drain valve. Is this thing supposed to spin round and round? I'm guessing that the O ring needs replaced, but cant get the thing to screw out. The bike never had any issues with leaks before, but the antifreeze had been in the bike since I bought it. So I guess that now I'm creating problems.:confused24::bang head:

It doesn't unscrew.... Takle the screw out of the side and pull it straight out. It's a slip fit with the 'o' ring.

when you take the elbow out of the water pump you will likely find corrosion. This is because the o-ring sits far from the end. ANd water from riding in the rain and other crap gets in there. I used #600 wet paper to clean things up. Then new orings and permatex ultra grey while assembling to prevent the corrosion in the future. You may want to do the same on the thermostat housing for the elbow.