IGNORED

Weight Loss How you doing

MamaMo

1st off Keep up all your good work, you can all make your goals.

I want to take just a couple of paragraphs here and chat a bit. Keep in mind that we are all different and loose weight differently. Dont get discouraged if you have dropped 10 lbs quick and now feel stuck. This isn't a race, if you loose the weight fast you will gain it back fast.

I know this isn't the same for everyone, but I have started to notice that I eat way more than I need to. One of the 1st things that I believe anyone needs to do before they try to loose weight is to downsize their portions. Exersize is one of the keys to keep weight off, you can loose weight without exersize, but you will keep it off better if you regularly exersize. Now this may seem kinda funny to some of you, Big old fat Squidley talking about how to loose weight. Way back in another life....I wasn't so fat, matter of fact I was an inch and a half taller and weighed 178 lbs. I worked out everyday and ran a couple miles on the beach when I was stationed in Mayport Florida. As many of us do, we get comfortable and thus lazy and get out of shape, but we can change that if we want to.

Right now I am working out at my powerplant as I dont have a gym membership and it's been below zero for quite a few days here. I have been walking our stairwell which happens to be 9 stories tall. Let me tell you something, those stairs are kicking the crap out of me! I mention this to give you folks simple ideas of things you can do to get your heart rate up. I also want to stress that Stretching will greatly help all of you trying to loose weight. I have been doing nothing but stretching for the last 5 or 6 weeks and I haven't had to go to the chiropractor in that time period.

Here is a guide at what you should be doing as far as heartrates VS age

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/hl/fit/card/aroexcer.jsp

I want all of our volunteers to loose all the weight they want to, but I want you to loose it safely. Good luck to all of you and just for those of you that can't imagine a "Skinny Squidley".....here's a picture of me at 24 years old While I was in Uncle Sams Yacht club.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Squids, You was skinny, huh?

My 2 cents on weight loss.

As some of you know, I had the Lap Band surgery a couple of years ago. I lost over a hundred pounds and am stable.

This is how the Lap Band works. It is a plastic adjustable band placed around the top of the stomach that restricts how fast you can eat. The pouch formed by it only holds about 1 - 2 ozs. Following is some rules that will work even if you don't have the Lapband.

1. - Don't drink with meals. Don't drink 30 minutes before and 1 hour after meals. Drinking before meals lubricates the stomach making food go down faster. Drinking during and after meals washes the food through your stomach and you eat more.

2. - Take small bites and chew well. Takes you longer to eat. The brain thinks you are satisfied (not full) at the 20 - 30 minute mark after you start eating, whether you eat the whole side of beef or just a couple of ounces. If you gobble your food down like I used to, you can eat enough to feed 2 people or more in 15 minutes and still be hungry.

3. - Eat breakfast. Your brain is programmed for survival. If you don't eat breakfast, you won't lose weight. You merely slow down your metabolism to make your energy last until the next meal. If you start off with a nutritious breakfast, low fat, low calorie, blend of proteins and natural carbohydrates (read fruits/veggies), the body will actually burn calories better than if you skip breakfast altogether.

4. - Avoid empty calories. Sugar and processed carbs (starches, pastries, etc.) can really defeat you. There's a place in everyone's diet for these things, but in moderation.

I eat protein first. Try for lean meats such as chicken, fish and beans and nuts. I save the bread for the end of the meal and then I strive to eat only a half a slice.

5. - Enjoy your meals. Don't sacrifice all foods that you love. Just be smart about how much you have. If you absolutely boycott all starches or desserts (Lonna's cheesecake, yum!), you'll only crave them more. Then when you give in AND YOU WILL!, you'll eat to much and then the cycle starts over.

6. - Get some exercise! Buy a Pedometer and walk a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. I usually check my steps when I get home from work and if I'm short, I walk around the block or a treadmill to make up the balance. Its better to get your exercise in sessions of 20 - 30 minutes continuously. Even if you can't, though if you can get in 10,000 steps over the course of the day, you'll burn calories and weight will come off steadily.

7. - Drink plenty of water. Water makes life better. It flushes toxins from the body and replenishes the moisture you lose. 60 - 80 oz of water a day plus whatever else you drink is a good amount. I buy water in 20oz bottles and try to drink 4 a day. Plus in the winter, I drink a lot of coffee. Coffee and Tea alone won't cut it. Even though they are mostly water, they have caffeine in them which is a diuretic. So is anything with alcohol. The more you drink, the more you lose through the bladder. Alcohol also is high in sugar which will defeat your weight loss.

I’m no expert, but this works for me. Good luck Guys and Gals!

Edited by Ponch
Editorial

Thanks Squidley. I couldn't agree more. We want a healthly weight loss that everyone can help raise money but also be able to keep the weigh off. I myself set my goal so that if I would lose a pound a week than I would meet my goal. I know some weeks may lose more and than that some weeks none at all. I done that the first time I lost the weight and was able to keep it all off for 2 years before putting any additional weight back on. I will admit that I starting back to eating the things that I should not have and quit walking like I had been. While you are dieting listen to your body to what works and what does not. Some foods are like a trigger they make you want more and more. Yes Exercise. I know I hate that word too. I personnally plan on trying to up my walking. When I can again start swimming. I can't do jogging or running because I have a weak ankle, not to flexible.

We can do it we just have to set our minds that we are going to do it.

Thanks Ponch sounds like a good way to start.

Edited by MamaMo

How about some serious roadbiking? I never seem to see a fat rider on a good roadbike out here in Phoenix as they all tend to be lean.

My other set of two wheels...Don't laugh, it works!

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa167/hlaltimus/PictureorVideo038.jpg

Everyone is doing so well, and have some great ideas. For me it's been low fat and using Alli. No side effects so far, and it seems to work well. One week and 3 lbs down so far. I also joined curves, it's fun and quick 30 minutes 3 times a week. So far so good. I also checked out a website. Fitday.com allow you to track carbs, fat and calories.

It's great loosing with all of you !!!

:smile5:

Edited by Tinkerbell

This is really a win win situation for everone.

1 We get to give to a good cause.:bighug:

2 We will live longer.:sun1:

3 Feet and back pain will be less.:D

4 Our bike's will get better mileage,less emissions, and the tires will last longer.:bikersmilie:

5 The furniture in our homes will be happier.:o

6 For the guys, For ever 50# gone you will gain 1 inch of weiner back.:banana::banana::banana:

I guess I want to know what "weinerback" is? Is it part of an animal? Why would I want an inch of it? Why do you only get "weinerback" in increments of an inch for 50 lbs?

Everyone is doing so well, and have some great ideas. For me it's been low fat and using Alli. No side effects so far, and it seems to work well. One week and 3 lbs down so far. I also joined curves, it's fun and quick 30 minutes 3 times a week. So far so good. I also checked out a website. Fitday.com allow you to track carbs, fat and calories.

It's great loosing with all of you !!!

:smile5:

Good for you! Great job! Keep up the good work! :happy65:

I guess I want to know what "weinerback" is? Is it part of an animal? Why would I want an inch of it? Why do you only get "weinerback" in increments of an inch for 50 lbs?

I think your cornfused,Sue will explain it to ya.We know your not the fastest wolf in the pack. :stickpoke:

I think your cornfused,Sue will explain it to ya.We know your not the fastest wolf in the pack. :stickpoke:

I was just wondering as you're the only one to volunteer to lose 50 lbs. ..........:confused24:

Sue didn't know what "weinerback" was either, I guess I could call Deb and ask her.....:stickpoke: :buttkick: :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rasberry:

A Newfie was terribly overweight, so his doctor put him on a diet. 'I want you to eat regularly for 2 days, then skip a day, and repeat this procedure for 2 weeks. The next time I see you, you should have lost at least 5 pounds.'

When the Newfie returned, he shocked the doctor by having lost nearly 60lbs!

'Why, that's amazing!' the doctor said, 'Did you follow my instructions?'

The Newfie nodded...'I'll tell you though, Lord thunderin' Jesus, I t'aut I were going to drop dead on dat 3rd day.'

'From the hunger, you mean?' asked the doctor.

'No, from the ****in' skippin' :pushups: :canada:

The Doctor told me I was doomed and said it’s time for a change. Lost 25 pounds in 5 months.

Eat breakfast, no salt, no fat and very little red meat. Lots of fish and chicken

I feel 100 times better

Edited by mrc

The Doctor told me I was doomed and said it’s time for a change. Lost 25 pounds in 5 months.

Eat breakfast, no salt, no fat and very little red meat. Lots of fish and chicken

I feel 100 times better

Mark

:7_6_3[1]:

Good for you!!!! Keep up the good work! :happy65:

Diet is "die" with a "t".

My mother was diganosed as a diabetic. Put on the diabetic diet. More food in a calendar day than she'd eaten in YEARS. The weight fell off of her. That convinced me; you have to EAT to lose WEIGHT.

Studies are showing eating a good breakfast and breaking up the daily meals into 4-5 vice our typical 3 are helping. That, and getting those getoffyourassandall pills...

If you have the machine at the house (look under the cloths) put a tv in front of it. I watch some same shows all the time. Now, I watch while walking/running. I also took a good look at what I was doing with my time. A lot of it involved in nothing.

Quote I remember from somewhere; "You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."

My recovery from gall bladder surgery over, I'm going to attempt all that stuff I just said. Good luck to all of you attempting as well. The goal is to make my scale quit saying "Go Jog Fatass" when I step on it.