IGNORED

Not another problem

meatloaf

Well as you know my bike wouldn't start and now it is starting (see spark problem). Well I spent 2 days putting the bike and all the equipment back together. So I was so happy I started it right up and all I could hear was back firing and it was noisy. So I said to myself it's been sitting a month so it might need running down the road. Well that didn't work when I tried to give it gas and go the rpms would go down and the bike won't go so I pushed it back home. I looked down in the carbs as saw one of them was not moving so I took off the cover and pused it a little so it would work. I also put carb cleaner down in it. Well all the carbs were moving again but man was it popping alot and loud. It would idle great at 3rpm but when you went to 4 rpms the bike wanted to cut off and drop down to 1 rpm. The 2 carbs on the left side when you are sitting down on the bike we popping bad and fire would come out of them when you reved it. At 4 rpm the front carb would spudder and fire would come out of it and the compression would drop. When I tried to give it more gas the back carb would also do it and if you gave it more gas the bike would stall out. I called my mechanic and he said it sounded like the plug wires might be bad and I might to replace them well I did that and there was no change. So I gave up it's mechanic fault but I spent 650.00 to get the bike so it would start and now it doesn't run. The bike sounds great at 3 rpms but when you go to 4rpms the carb sliders start moving and it starts to back firing and the bike won't move. Am getting tired of this so if anyone wants to but 2 86 ventures loaded with chrome and all the extras will sell both of them for 3,500.00 I am tired of spending money since most of the mechanics know nothing on how to fix ventures. I will just ride my vw trike it easier to fix and I am not that motorcycle savy mechanic.

Meatloaf:sick::confused24:

If you call your mechanic, if he is a professional, he will most likely send you on a goose chase, if you are fishing for info on how to fix it your self. With mechanics, free advice is rarely worth what you pay for it. Those guys get paid for working, not phone diagnostics. When I was wrenching, I generally just said "You can't get a hair cut over the phone, and you can't fix a car over the phone." Unfortunately there are many more professionals that are not so professional. I would highly recommend against asking for a free diag over the phone, unless the tech is a close friend or your brother.

In your defense, it sounds like you had it at the mechanic's and they unsuccessfully repaired it, in which case, I would tow it back there and restate your initial complaint, and ask that it be fixed. As always, being polite works best. The easiest way to guarantee it never gets resolved is to blow your top.

One other hint. Don't ever decide you know what the bike needs, and tell them to "put new plugs in it" or "give it a tune up". Like anyone else, they will do what you ask them to do and charge you accordingly. So, you should say, "my bike doesn't start, and does not run right if it does start, and I would like it to be right." Showing the tech that you trust their judgment is usually the path to the cheapest repair.

Now, I am assuming that by "one of the carbs not moving" you mean the slides aren't moving. If that is the case, chances are the rubber diaphram has a hole in it. An easy way to check this is to push the slider up and put your thumb over the big slot shaped hole in the front of the carb. The slider should stay put or move very slowly down ward, and when you take your thumb off the carb, it should return normally. If it doesn't stay up, chances are you have a punctured diaphram.

Personally, if I were you, I would definately take it back to the tech and politely ask that they finish the repair. I hope I am understanding you correctly that you took it in for this reason.

I got the slider for the carb to work, I opened the side and pushed it. The mechanic replaced the tci because the bike would not start but he found the real problem there It was water in the relay behind the headlight. It was not allowing it to make a connection between the relay that works the kick stand went to the kick stand. When he cleaned the water out it started. Now the problem is the carbs.. So who knows what it is now i changed the wires and all I could do.

Meatloaf:headache:

Look up members of this group in your general area---

Set up a Barbecue, or somthing similiar in your back yard.

Include some locally popular beverage !!!

Invite the fellows over for the weekend, and ask them to bring all their spare parts. and tool boxes.

You and the wife supply the food and drinks, and turn the fellows loose on your bikes, I'm sure they will come up with a fix !!!!!

Hey!! its worth a try :thumbsup2:

If the bike has been setting for a while, I suggest you clean the carbs, particularlly the pilot jets. as far as running and missing, check the resistors in the spark plug caps as they get corroded. Pull out the diaphrams and see if you see light through any pin holes. If you have pinholes there is a fix available that will get it good enough for a ride and to eliminate other problems. As noted, these bikes run pretty bad with the airbox cover off, especially if there are other issues. One other thing, if you have got the plugs wet, you may need to change them, these bikes like clean spark plugs.

RandyA

Look up members of this group in your general area---

Set up a Barbecue, or somthing similiar in your back yard.

Include some locally popular beverage !!!

Invite the fellows over for the weekend, and ask them to bring all their spare parts. and tool boxes.

You and the wife supply the food and drinks, and turn the fellows loose on your bikes, I'm sure they will come up with a fix !!!!!

Hey!! its worth a try :thumbsup2:

Yea meatloaf, that's how it's done. With GeorgeS' help I've rebuilt two of these beast from won't do squat to daily riders. Don't trust the mechanics at the stealerships. You can by a new bike for what they are gonna charge you to work on these 1st Gens, if they will talk to you at all. I know that's how I found this site. Last time I let anyone but me work on my bike it was $1,400 for a carbtune and sync and they really screwed them up, after four months in the shop. They just don't know what they are doing with these electrically complicated bikes.

This whole forum is chock full of very talented technicians that really understand these bikes and just about everyone of them is willing to help out a fellow member every chance they get. I live in Atlanta, but I'm in NC all the time, If you fire the up grill they

will come and I will too.

So, what's the Facts at the Moment ?

Please put the Cover back on the Airbox before any further tinkering. The Engine won't run or probably won't start at all without the Cover in Place. The Intake System is a Piece of Art on it's own and the Motor is VERY sensitive in this Matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well still have my problems but did find out when I start to drive the bike it will go when the choke is on but still back fires some. But hey I got it to move lol. It sure sounds good sitting still but still sucks when you try to go because you can't. Also on my other venture it does about the same must be a venture problem have the choke on halfway and you can drive off but yeah I know thats a bad idea. Well you can't blame a guy for trying might get that cookout going sometime this summer.

Meatloaf:buttkick:

Meatloaf,

You mentioned that when you ride with the choke on it somewhat runs. To me it sounds like the carbs are a definite part of the problem. I would check all of your vaccume lines as I had a problem with one of my '99's that ended up being a vaccume line that was off. There are 3 vaccume port plugs on the carb intakes, make sure that they are in good condition and not age cracked.

I'll second the notion of checking for folks in your area, I know that there are many of us that will come over and give a hand. If you weren't so far south I would be more than happy to shoot over. We'll try to keep this up top so folks can see it, paitence is a virtue with these bikes.

• 2 weeks later...
Meatloaf,

You mentioned that when you ride with the choke on it somewhat runs. To me it sounds like the carbs are a definite part of the problem. I would check all of your vaccume lines as I had a problem with one of my '99's that ended up being a vaccume line that was off. There are 3 vaccume port plugs on the carb intakes, make sure that they are in good condition and not age cracked.

I'll second the notion of checking for folks in your area, I know that there are many of us that will come over and give a hand. If you weren't so far south I would be more than happy to shoot over. We'll try to keep this up top so folks can see it, paitence is a virtue with these bikes.

Hey Squid,

Isn't "Muffinman the Carb Tune man" close to him in NC.

Hey tyhere meatloaf, GEt in touch with muffinman. HE is out of hertford Nc and not that far away from you. Good man and nows his stuff. He 's helped me out remendously.

I'm not much of a mech but if theres anything I can help with I'll do what I can. I'm just a short ride up the road from you. Mcleansville.

Good luck and dont give up just yet.

David